British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   work permit to permanent residency (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/work-permit-permanent-residency-355286/)

dylan101 Feb 15th 2006 1:19 pm

work permit to permanent residency

have been offered a job in toronto on a temporary work permit starting in Sept 06. I assume that this allows my husband to work also on my work permit. If we were to apply for permanent residency now in this country would it be quicker now that i will have a work permit. some advice and time scales from others experiences would be greatly appreciated

Tangram Feb 15th 2006 1:41 pm

Re: work permit to permanent residency

Originally Posted by dylan101
have been offered a job in toronto on a temporary work permit starting in Sept 06. I assume that this allows my husband to work also on my work permit. If we were to apply for permanent residency now in this country would it be quicker now that i will have a work permit. some advice and time scales from others experiences would be greatly appreciated

Potentially....no timescales available.

Piff Poff Feb 15th 2006 4:34 pm

Your husband will only be able to work on your work permit if he is named on it or something. I had to apply for a work permit myself once I got here as we were under the impression (according to our experts? we paid loads of money to) that I would be able to work straight off. I was actually given a visitors visa for 6 months, two months before that was up I could apply to work...........Work permit arrived 2 days before visitors visa expired - thought I'd be spending crimbo in UK STRESSSSSS :eek:

iaink Feb 15th 2006 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Your husband will only be able to work on your work permit if he is named on it or something.

Eh? I thought you needed to apply for your own open work permit in tandem with the principal applicants job/ employer specific one, you cant go to work based on the principal applicants permit alone, you need you own.

Study permits for the kids seem to be a grey area, in theory you should have them, but in practice it seems many school boards dont require them if the parents paperwork is in order.

Tinpusher Feb 15th 2006 8:01 pm

Iaink is correct on the WP question.
As for having a WP and being in Canada while applying for PR improving the timescale, I can say that in our case it didn't.

Piff Poff Feb 15th 2006 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
Eh? I thought you needed to apply for your own open work permit in tandem with the principal applicants job/ employer specific one, you cant go to work based on the principal applicants permit alone, you need you own.

Study permits for the kids seem to be a grey area, in theory you should have them, but in practice it seems many school boards dont require them if the parents paperwork is in order.

Only going on advice given to us and what we actually experienced :beer: . Oh and we had applied in tandem, we just landed at different times due to me finishing house sale and hubby starting work sooner - a situation many will encounter i'm sure! As for study permits, it seems that if both parents are biological or adoptive you don't need a study permit. If for example only the mother is biological and the father hasn't adopted (legally) and the mother doesn't have a work permit then you need a study permit, if however the mother gets a work permit then the child does not need a study permit. As experienced by us with canadian immigration in Calgary in october. When work permits and extended visa's came through our daughter has the entitlement for K-12 schooling no study visa needed. Depends on day of week and what province you land in to what is required i suppose!!!! :confused:

scimdarren Feb 15th 2006 10:21 pm

I applied for PR prior to being offered a job, my AOR was Feb 05 and my PR was Feb 06, not sure if this is consistant with every applicant. Mine was definitely fastracked that is all I can say.
Your husband can work on a spousal work permit that you have to apply for at the same time as yours.

Darren

steals Feb 16th 2006 1:14 am

your husband gets a visitors permit for the length of time your work permit lasts unless you apply for a workpermit for him at the same time cost is $150 he can apply for one in canada its just a change of visa from vivitor to work thats all

JAJ Feb 16th 2006 3:02 am

have been offered a job in toronto on a temporary work permit starting in Sept 06. I assume that this allows my husband to work also on my work permit.

As far as I know he may apply for an open work permit of his own. However he may find Canadian employers reluctant to hire him for career orientated jobs if he is not a permanent resident (even though he has work rights).

If we were to apply for permanent residency now in this country would it be quicker now that i will have a work permit.
You can't apply for PR as a skilled worker "in Canada". You must apply offshore - once admitted to Canada for 12+ months you will have the choice of CIC Buffalo or London, if you're British citizens (and maybe more CIC offices if you are citizens of another country).

Whether you should apply to Buffalo or London really requires some advice from a professional familiar with the processing culture in both offices. Anecdotally, London priorities some applications from WP holders, but it seems to depend. Plus, if you've lived in the UK up to now, London will be more easily able to assess your skills and education.

iaink Feb 16th 2006 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ

Whether you should apply to Buffalo or London really requires some advice from a professional familiar with the processing culture in both offices. Anecdotally, London priorities some applications from WP holders, but it seems to depend. Plus, if you've lived in the UK up to now, London will be more easily able to assess your skills and education.

On the other hand if an interview is required, if you are in TO going to Bufallo is a lot more convenient than getting to London for it.

I applied through buffallo, but that was many years ago and processing times there are now much longer.

Pretty Flowers Feb 16th 2006 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ
As far as I know he may apply for an open work permit of his own. However he may find Canadian employers reluctant to hire him for career orientated jobs if he is not a permanent resident (even though he has work rights).

not always true. I've been offered a different job here on a new temporary work visa. The new company had to apply for a change of my existing work permit. Which they were happy to do. Not being PR does not mean that you won't be offered a job

Piff Poff Feb 16th 2006 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Sarah Farrand
not always true. I've been offered a different job here on a new temporary work visa. The new company had to apply for a change of my existing work permit. Which they were happy to do. Not being PR does not mean that you won't be offered a job

It does make it harder though!