Wikiposts

work permit medical?

Old Aug 2nd 2006, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

stubby1974 has a spectacular aura aboutstubby1974 has a spectacular aura aboutstubby1974 has a spectacular aura about
Default work permit medical?

hiya - hope you can help...

friends of ours are trying toc ome to edmonton to where we are. if hubby gets the job, his missus will get the open work permit (same as me) but she ius a biomed technican and would like to work..

we've been told she will need a medical - but here are my questions ( as its late and i've missed the callcenter and my brain is fried)

a) can she get a medical done in the uk and get an open work permit ie work for any comapny ?

b) can she come to canada on an open visa, get the medical done here and apply for a change to her visa and work for any company

c) does she have to have a job first before she get the medicla visa thing ? if so, can she stillc ome on a normal open visa and then ask for it to be changed when she gets a job?

does anyone know if this is all possible becuase i have tried the CIC website and am lost - we know she needs a medical to work in her trained field BUT she might not want too (unlikley) .. does she have to get the medical done before the visa application for hubby?

basically we're trying to see fi tis possible to get to edmonton and then change her visa etc as we've been told that medicals for work permits hold up the application for HRDSC by several months... they'll be applying for the visas at the airport...

i hope that makes sense ?

thanks for any information
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 12:18 am
Here at last!!!

sydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant future
Default Re: work permit medical?

My husband came over here on an open work permit but with some restrictions as it said that he wasn't allowed to work with children which was a bit of a problem as he is a teacher. (apparantly you need a medical to be a teacher also). He then had to do a medical and apply for his work permit to be changed which we did once we were over here. It just made things costly and time consuming.
I am sure that there must be a way of having the medical done prior to submitting your application for the work permit to save having to reapply.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

stubby1974 has a spectacular aura aboutstubby1974 has a spectacular aura aboutstubby1974 has a spectacular aura about

thanks - its about 3 months to change the permit but its an issue of (a) costs and (B) if they need an actual job tog et the proper open permit ie with no restrictions...

when you hubby did the medicala nd repplied for his permit - was it open ie he oculd apply for any job afterwards or did he need a job first ?
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Stuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond repute

Stubby, I am just back from CIC London applying for WP for missis and Spousal Open WP for self. They asked me if I was likely to work with kids etc and if so I would have to take a medical (wife getting one anyway) before it was issued.
Stuarty
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

is that an open one - is it that you can get ANY job afterwards? thats our concern - we can fidn the money - the extra time might be an issue but its whether ti would be resticted to her having a job first? if that makes sense?
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 6:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Stuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stubby1974
is that an open one - is it that you can get ANY job afterwards? thats our concern - we can fidn the money - the extra time might be an issue but its whether ti would be resticted to her having a job first? if that makes sense?
I am applying for an open one, that's for any job. I can only presume that if I decide to work in the Health industry or with kids and don't have a medical first then a Canadian employer will tell me to go forth and multiply. If there is a likelyhood of you working where you should have had a medical then try and get one first by stating the likelyhood on your application or go to CIC and ask them, they are very helpful face to face.
Stuarty
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 3:12 pm
Here at last!!!

sydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant future

thanks - its about 3 months to change the permit but its an issue of (a) costs and (B) if they need an actual job tog et the proper open permit ie with no restrictions...

when you hubby did the medicala nd repplied for his permit - was it open ie he oculd apply for any job afterwards or did he need a job first ?
When he got his permit, it was open i.e. he can work anywhere. He didn't need to get a job first.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

mels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sydney
When he got his permit, it was open i.e. he can work anywhere. He didn't need to get a job first.
Hi Stuart

Did they say you needed study permits for the kids? We have received a letter back saying we need to pay for one for my daughter. However, the Vancouver School Board and other websites say they aren't necessary when parents are on work permits!

We have to pay for the study permit because they won't issue us the authorisation letter for the work permits. I suppose we can query this at the point of entry.

Mel
Old Aug 4th 2006, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mels123
Hi Stuart

Did they say you needed study permits for the kids? We have received a letter back saying we need to pay for one for my daughter. However, the Vancouver School Board and other websites say they aren't necessary when parents are on work permits!

We have to pay for the study permit because they won't issue us the authorisation letter for the work permits. I suppose we can query this at the point of entry.

Mel
Hi Mel, the lady at CIC London said that we should definitely get Study Permits for the kids whilst we were on WP's. She said that it was foolish to do otherwise and she is the expert on WP's as we were differed to her because of the queries we had.
Stuarty
Old Aug 4th 2006, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

mels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Stuarty
Hi Mel, the lady at CIC London said that we should definitely get Study Permits for the kids whilst we were on WP's. She said that it was foolish to do otherwise and she is the expert on WP's as we were differed to her because of the queries we had.
Stuarty

Thanks, we've ordered another banker's draft to send. We'll probably not hear anything now for a few more weeks now. Nevermind, we'll get them eventually!

Mel
Old Aug 4th 2006, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

do you all have to get the WP from london ? we got ours at the airport - so i take it if you need a medical you have to apply to london ??
Old Aug 4th 2006, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

do you all have to get the WP from london ? we got ours at the airport - so i take it if you need a medical you have to apply to london ??
No we don't need medicals, but we just decided for peace of mind (having all the correct paperwork) to apply to London. They won't process now until we pay the study permit fee and we've already paid for the work permits. We're not in any rush as we haven't sold the house yet anyway!
Old Aug 4th 2006, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

but you are going on a work permit ?

ok now i am lost...

when we got our HRDSC approval, we took it, letter of job, flew to calgary and got our WP visa at the customs desk there...

if my friend gets his HRSDC - what happens ? do his missus then doa medical - get the results and bring it with her to the airport or does she have to apply to london for the WP and then wait however long - 4 to 8 weeks i've been told

or does she do the medical when he applies for the HRDSC ??

help.. i am going mad...
Old Aug 4th 2006, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

ok now i am lost...

when we got our HRDSC approval, we took it, letter of job, flew to calgary and got our WP visa at the customs desk there...

if my friend gets his HRSDC - what happens ? do his missus then doa medical - get the results and bring it with her to the airport or does she have to apply to london for the WP and then wait however long - 4 to 8 weeks i've been told

help.. i am going mad...
If your friend needs a medical, she will need to apply to London and I presume they will contact her to have a medical. I'm not clear on that part!

You can apply to London even if you don't need a medical, this is what we have done so that we have the right paperwork at the airport, as there is a chance if you just turn up at the airport they can refuse you, but I am sure that this is rare!

HTH
Mel
Old Aug 4th 2006, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

ok now i am lost...

help.. i am going mad...
I am mad already, however if a medical is required then you have to go through CIC London. They will send out medical forms and when medicals are complete the Doctor will send them to London. London will ensure that all is well and issue Work Permits. A longer process than simply landing in Canada but necessary where medicals are required, its a bugger eh!
Stuarty

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.