Wikiposts

work permit/LMO timescale

Old Jan 14th 2007, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

sharonl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: work permit/LMO timescale

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
PNP has nothing to do with work permit. It is Provincial Nomination Program for permanent immigration, not for temporary work permit.

Some Provinces provide support with work permit applications for their PNP applicants.
ok so 'im leaving on a jet plane' i guess.

once i have paperwork from empolyer and i will then take that and get the wp and documents on the canadian side
Old Jan 14th 2007, 9:52 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharonl
ok so 'im leaving on a jet plane' i guess.

once i have paperwork from empolyer and i will then take that and get the wp and documents on the canadian side
Dont you need the WP approval letter from CIC London, and then pick up the WP physically from Port of Entry ?
Old Jan 14th 2007, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Dont you need the WP approval letter from CIC London, and then pick up the WP physically from Port of Entry ?
Hi Tan

You just need your copy of the positive LMO decision and tell them you want to get your work permit and of course part with I think CAD $ 150

Gaynor
Old Jan 14th 2007, 10:05 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Hi Tan

You just need your copy of the positive LMO decision and tell them you want to get your work permit and of course part with I think CAD $ 150

Gaynor
Thats not what I have been told by Andrew Miller, you need your WP approval letter then you get your physical WP from the airport at port of entry.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Thats not what I have been told by Andrew Miller, you need your WP approval letter then you get your physical WP from the airport at port of entry.
Hi Tan

This is what our lawyer has told my hubby - but having said that he is getting a package together for him to take to immigration when he lands - but he has led us to believe you can take LMO and apply there.

As far as I am aware the LMO is only the same as CIC London would to issue one from there.

Will be able to confirm this when we have the email prob tomorrow or Tuesday

Gaynor
Old Jan 14th 2007, 10:13 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Hi Tan

This is what our lawyer has told my hubby - but having said that he is getting a package together for him to take to immigration when he lands - but he has led us to believe you can take LMO and apply there.

As far as I am aware the LMO is only the same as CIC London would to issue one from there.

Will be able to confirm this when we have the email prob tomorrow or Tuesday

Gaynor
Thanks Gaynor
Old Jan 14th 2007, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

sharonl is an unknown quantity at this point

so your approval letter has to come from london?
Old Jan 14th 2007, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

pete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant future

Hi

Our lawyer told as the same as Gaynor's....once you have LMO approval you can just go to any port of entry and pick your WP up there.....

When I finally get mine....I will drive up to Niagara Falls, cross over into the US and then turn back and re-enter into Canada where they issue the work permits. You can download the appropriate from from CIC website and just take it along with $150.

There is no need for you to send anything to CIC London.

pete
Old Jan 14th 2007, 10:30 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Work Permit application cannot be filed in Canada - it has to be submitted to visa post outside Canada or in some instances WP can be applied for at the Canadian port of entry by qualified applicants with valid LMO, holding passports from visa waiver countries and not required to undergo medicals.

So, please don't generalize - as not just everyone can apply for WP at the port of entry.

Unfortunately too many with good intentions provide advice based on their single, unique experience. As I am stating in this forum at least once a week - there is no such thing as one size fits all when it comes to immigration.

National of visa waiver country, holding valid LMO and not required to undergo medicals has the option to apply for work permit at Canadian port of entry.

But lack of a single document, difficulty facing examining officer trying to assess qualifications, etc. may turn expected simple process at port of entry into the nightmare and application may be refused.

In general - everyone, including those eligible to apply at port of entry, should apply for work permit through proper visa post to avoid problems. Unless plane to Canada leaves today and job in Canada starts tomorrow or when person is already in Canada and can drive to the border - in any other case risk is simply not justified. Especially that most visa posts (including London) will grant request with well documented reasons for expedited processing and email or fax work permit approval as soon as it is physically possible.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Jan 14th 2007 at 10:51 am. Reason: addition
Old Jan 14th 2007, 10:33 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Work Permit application cannot be filed in Canada - it has to be submitted to visa post outside Canada or in some instances WP can be applied for at the Canadian port of entry by qualified applicants with valid LMO, holding passports from visa waiver countries and not required to undergo medicals.

So, please don't generalize - as not just everyone can apply for WP at the port of entry.
So can I as this is what I was under the impression of .....

" You have to apply for an open permit for your wife on her own application form, write on the top of the form APPLICATION FOR OPEN WORK PERMIT. She is only named on your application as your spouse, If she wants an open work permit she has to fill out her own permit application form and pay the appropriate fee.
CIC know what you want but they still need it in black and white on the form that you need an open work permit.

Your daughter will receive her study permit automatically as long as she is named on your forms as you are the main applicant. Make sure you send the fee for her study permit to CIC. If you dont apply for her study permit she cant and will not be allowed to attend any schools here.
You will be sent a letter confirming that your entry into Canada has been authorised with your file number stating that you have been succesfull in applying for a temp work permit, you give this to immigration at the airport when you land and they give you your work permit at the airport.
It is at the discretion of the visa officer has to how long your permit lasts."
Old Jan 14th 2007, 10:56 am

Nothing will be granted automatically if it is not requested.

You may attach a sticky note to your WP application and ask for study permit for accompanying daughter, but it will be safer to simply attach her own form as you need to pay all 3 fees anyway.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pete66
Hi

Our lawyer told as the same as Gaynor's....once you have LMO approval you can just go to any port of entry and pick your WP up there.....

When I finally get mine....I will drive up to Niagara Falls, cross over into the US and then turn back and re-enter into Canada where they issue the work permits. You can download the appropriate from from CIC website and just take it along with $150.

There is no need for you to send anything to CIC London.

pete

Thanks Pete

Thought I had gotten the wrong end of the stick !! :scared: I knew the Lawyer had told me this

Gaynor

Last edited by burton bunch; Jan 14th 2007 at 10:58 am. Reason: spelling ooooooooops
Old Jan 14th 2007, 7:24 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

When the time comes, I will apply to London to get my Work Permit approval letter and then I will take that, along with all my documentation ( work qualifications, contract etc ) with me to Canada to then pick up my Permit at Port Of Entry. Risk too great to chance another round trip !

Besides.... should be able to get WP approval letter in a month or so after LMO is received.

Paul
Old Jan 15th 2007, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

DKCAN is a jewel in the roughDKCAN is a jewel in the roughDKCAN is a jewel in the roughDKCAN is a jewel in the roughDKCAN is a jewel in the rough

having a +ive LMO..what decides the duration of your WP ? 1, 2 or 3 years ??
I have heard that if WP is for two years or more you get Immi Process shortened to 6 months or something ?
Old Jan 15th 2007, 10:03 am

You heard a lot of nonsense.

It is employer who applies for LMO for determined duration, then HRSDC issues LMO with applied for duration or with shorter duration if in their opinion longer is not justified. Finally visa post processing work permit application decides if such should be valid as long as LMO is valid or if it should be shorter.

Duration of work permit will not speed up your PR application. And you may forget about 6 months processing anyway.

In order to be eligible to submit full (not simplified) PR application and have it processed relatively fast person must have arranged employment or PNP certificate. There are few different ways to have arranged employment accepted - please search this forum as details have been explained by myself here quire few times in past months.

Originally Posted by DKCAN
having a +ive LMO..what decides the duration of your WP ? 1, 2 or 3 years ??
I have heard that if WP is for two years or more you get Immi Process shortened to 6 months or something ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.