Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Work permit - leaving and re-entering Canada

Work permit - leaving and re-entering Canada

Old Apr 4th 2023, 1:53 am
Just Joined

CapeBretonBound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work permit - leaving and re-entering Canada

Hi folks,

So I am going through the AIP process and our application has been submitted for endorsement by the province (Nova Scotia). Once endorsement comes back we (me & partner, plus 2 dogs) hope to move over to NS as soon as possible.

To avoid the 12week processing time for work permit applications through the London consulate, I am considering applying for the work permit at port of entry (gulp!)

My question to you wise folks is.....

*Would it be frowned upon for me to apply for (and hopefully be granted!) a work permit at port of entry, stay in Canada for a few days, and then return to the UK for about 1 month whilst we tie up loose ends, before returning to Canada and starting work etc...? *

I would be so so grateful for any advice on this - thank you!!

Gwen
Old Apr 4th 2023, 2:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work permit - leaving and re-entering Canada

I'm afraid AIP work permits cannot be applied for at POE, you have to apply online.

"To be eligible for a work permit under the Program, the foreign national must
  • submit their work permit application online
    • An application made at a port of entry under the Program is not eligible.
  • have a job offer from a designated employer under the Atlantic Immigration Program (AIP)
  • have a letter from the Atlantic province where the applicant will be working, issued as per the Agreement
  • commit to submitting an AIP permanent residence application within 90 days from the date of work permit application submission (IMM 0156E (PDF, 255 KB))
  • demonstrate their proficiency in an official language according to Program requirements
  • have an acceptable educational credential for this Program
  • have acceptable work experience or meet recent graduate requirements for this Program"
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-code-c18.html

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 4th 2023 at 2:10 am.
Old Apr 4th 2023, 3:47 am
Just Joined

Thank you #christmasoompa - in all my searching I hadn't come across that. A little disappointing but at least it is one decision made for us!

At the moment the online processing time for work permits is showing as 12 weeks. Any idea how reliable that estimate is generally?

Thank you so much for help with this
Old Apr 4th 2023, 4:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, 12 weeks is about the norm.

Not sure how far through the rest of the process you are, but hopefully you might be able to get out there in the Autumn (Fall!).

Good luck.
Old Apr 24th 2023, 12:49 am
Just Joined

Thank you - that's good to know