Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Work permit form filling and spousal work permit

Work permit form filling and spousal work permit

Old Jul 18th 2005, 10:09 pm

g_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud of
Default Work permit form filling and spousal work permit

Hi,
My prospective employer has now received a positive labour market opinion (LMO) for a job which was offered to me. I'm now completing my work permit application.

1. Is the HRSDC File Number (7 digits) what should be entered into the "File" box on the IMM1295 form, above box 1, or should this be left blank?

2. My understanding is that my wife can apply for a work permit as well, but won't need to get a LMO from HRSDC. I also understand that she can apply for hers at the same time. However, it would appear that she WOULD in fact require LMO and approval in exactly the same way, with the exception that she can apply for hers whilst in Canada. I'm confused as I have seen conflicting information, saying that spouses can get work permits without the same restrictions. Please enlighten me

Thanks,

Paul
Old Jul 19th 2005, 2:00 am
Just Joined

WorkPermitCanada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Work permit form filling and spousal work permit

Originally Posted by g_is_for_canada
Hi,
My prospective employer has now received a positive labour market opinion (LMO) for a job which was offered to me. I'm now completing my work permit application.

1. Is the HRSDC File Number (7 digits) what should be entered into the "File" box on the IMM1295 form, above box 1, or should this be left blank?

2. My understanding is that my wife can apply for a work permit as well, but won't need to get a LMO from HRSDC. I also understand that she can apply for hers at the same time. However, it would appear that she WOULD in fact require LMO and approval in exactly the same way, with the exception that she can apply for hers whilst in Canada. I'm confused as I have seen conflicting information, saying that spouses can get work permits without the same restrictions. Please enlighten me

Thanks,

Paul
I found this website quite useful http://www.canada.org.uk/visa-info/worker/e_spouse.htm
Old Jul 19th 2005, 2:22 am

g_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by WorkPermitCanada
Many thanks. I did take the liberty of phoning CHC London and was told that as a family applying, my spouse would automatically receive work permit and my children would automatically receive study permits. Hard to believe, but I will confirm this tomorrow when I hand deliver my documents, if at all possible. The lady I spoke to said when they see that it's a family applying it is their policy to do this automatically.

A Government office being proactive and taking initiative. I think I need to sit down... I've gone quite faint!
Old Jul 19th 2005, 2:48 am
Just Joined

Many thanks. I did take the liberty of phoning CHC London and was told that as a family applying, my spouse would automatically receive work permit and my children would automatically receive study permits. Hard to believe, but I will confirm this tomorrow when I hand deliver my documents, if at all possible. The lady I spoke to said when they see that it's a family applying it is their policy to do this automatically.

A Government office being proactive and taking initiative. I think I need to sit down... I've gone quite faint!
Ha ha. Well I handled all of the work permit applications on behalf of my company.

I wouldn't take their word for it to be honest. I contacted someone at CIC London who told me that original passports MUST be sent in order for a work permit to be approved. Then I found out that only passport holders from certain countries had to send original passports in.

I sent certified copies of all the passports and they were approved without the original.

I was also told by the High Commission that once we got the approval letter we would need to send the passports to CHC London for visa stamping.

At this point, we just got in contact with a migration agent who told us that this info was complete rubbish and so we just left it in thier hands!
Old Jul 19th 2005, 2:51 am

Ha ha. Well I handled all of the work permit applications on behalf of my company.

I wouldn't take their word for it to be honest. I contacted someone at CIC London who told me that original passports MUST be sent in order for a work permit to be approved. Then I found out that only passport holders from certain countries had to send original passports in.

I sent certified copies of all the passports and they were approved without the original.

I was also told by the High Commission that once we got the approval letter we would need to send the passports to CHC London for visa stamping.

At this point, we just got in contact with a migration agent who told us that this info was complete rubbish and so we just left it in thier hands!
So did you submit passports or copies? I've seen a list which asks for passports but I don't want to hand deliver them if I'm never going to see them again, nor do I want to add any delay by failing to deliver them
Old Jul 19th 2005, 2:53 am
Just Joined

So did you submit passports or copies? I've seen a list which asks for passports but I don't want to hand deliver them if I'm never going to see them again, nor do I want to add any delay by failing to deliver them
As all of the guys were UK Passport holders, our agent advised us to submit certified copies, which we did.

They were approved, no questions asked
Old Jul 19th 2005, 3:01 am

As all of the guys were UK Passport holders, our agent advised us to submit certified copies, which we did.

They were approved, no questions asked
How do I get certified copies? I.e. who certifies them?
Old Jul 19th 2005, 3:21 am
Just Joined

How do I get certified copies? I.e. who certifies them?
Our agent did ours.

I think that you can go to any Lawyer, JP or solicitor. Just ring one local to you and they should know what to do.