Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Work Permit expires while PR in process

Work Permit expires while PR in process

Old Apr 29th 2010, 2:09 am
Just Joined

ThisIsMe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work Permit expires while PR in process

Hi,

I am working on a WP in Canada from 7 months which will be expiring in another 5 months.

I intend to apply for PR and I believe I am eligible under In Canada and arranged employment category but it says one must be in Canada to get PR issued and application will be abandoned if one leaves Canada after filing the application from within Canada.

Can any one throw some light on this ? I am keen on applying for PR in any of the Skilled Worked categories be it in Canada or Outside Canada. The only thing worries me is I may have to leave Canada after filing PR and I can not file under outside Canada category since I work on a work permit in Canada at this point.

I am really confused, please help .....
Old Apr 29th 2010, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Work Permit expires while PR in process

in which province are you? PNP might be a faster approach? With PNP you have easier access to another WP in order to wait for PR to come through
Old Apr 29th 2010, 2:30 am
Just Joined

Thanks for reply manitobain.

I am in SASKATCHEWAN and the problem with SINP is that it requires "Employer Information, Saskatchewan Confirmation and Release" to be filled in by the Employer which my Employer will never sign as they might think that I may leave their job and my case is non-LMO Work Permit i.e. Intra-Company Transfer.

Please guide ....
Old Apr 29th 2010, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light

hmmm.. sorry.. but I don't understand totally.

Your employer would not want you to apply for either PNP or PR, because the company is from outside of Canada? Did I catch that right?

So should that be the case, would they then support another WP ? (in essence to give you time?)

If it is a intra company workplace, that would mean that you could go back and still have a job..and then apply from outside? I don't know all the inn's and out of the SINP, or your specific question, so hopefully someone more expert will pitch in.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 3:15 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the response.

You got it right the employer is from outside Canada and may extend my WP but can also ask me to go back to my parent company.

They wouldn't want me to file for PR as they run into risk of loosing me.

Anyone please help ...
Old Apr 29th 2010, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

Mermaid3011 has a spectacular aura aboutMermaid3011 has a spectacular aura aboutMermaid3011 has a spectacular aura about

O.k. that's tricky...

Could you afford to live in Canada without income for about 6 months? Then you could apply for PR from within Canada and just stay after your WP expires.

Do you expect your company to ask you to come back? Is there any sign they gave you that they will command you back?

You could sell them the PNP route as an easier way for them to acquire a work permit. Less work for them... bla bla bla... Would that work?

Have they already mentioned that they wouldnt support your application or is it more a guess from your side?

Do you have a Canadian partner who could sponsor you?

You might want to look into the in and outside application again. I always thought that you can actually chose if you want to apply in Canada or in your home country if you are a temporary worker in Canada. I.e. you can apply either in London or in Buffalo.

Maybe someone else here of the forum can say more about this.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 12:50 am
Just Joined

Thanks Mermaid3011.

The appointment letter from my Employer says that I am getting transferred to Canada and may be asked to move to different places within Canada based on work they have here or may be asked to come back based on the requirements.

Most likely, they will be extending my Visa as they have lot of work lined up for me at present.

Any idea how much time does it takes to get PR processed from within Canada.

Also, the time if the application is processed outside of Canada ?

My Employer will never support my application hence there is no point in asking them they will be happy to spend more to get my WP extended by hiring any experienced Immigration Consultant.

Please guide ...
Old Apr 30th 2010, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

you can look up the timelines on PR application on the cic website.. I believe Buffalo (within) has about 7 months (I haven't verified this), from the outside it depends which would be your embassy to apply to.

Your best bet in this case might be to wait for the new WP and then apply? or you jump in and hope for the best that they go for the trouble and apply for a new wp.

Tough decision.. where are all the experts when you need them