Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Work Permit - can it be changed? Expert advice please.

Wikiposts

Work Permit - can it be changed? Expert advice please.

Old Jan 11th 2006, 3:22 am
Forum Regular

shell&jim has a brilliant futureshell&jim has a brilliant futureshell&jim has a brilliant futureshell&jim has a brilliant futureshell&jim has a brilliant futureshell&jim has a brilliant futureshell&jim has a brilliant future
Default Work Permit - can it be changed? Expert advice please.

Hello

My husband has a 3 year work permit to work for a company in Nova Scotia. My self and our 2 children were on the application as dependents. We were all planning to go out together at the end of January. As the timescale has been so short we are now thinking that it would be less stressful if my husband could move out there on his own for a month or two to see if he likes the job and organise the big move.

My question is would we be able to go over separately? If not could he get his work permit changed? It may not help with this but I am a dual national (British/American) and have both passports. I could not find an answer on the official websites.

Thank you for any help.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

skigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant future
Default Re: Work Permit - can it be changed? Expert advice please.

My wife and kids followed 5 weeks after I arrived on my work permit. Although they had permits to pick up (spousal and study) I don't think it is a problem. As long as you have your husbands WP copy or number to hand I'm sure it will be fine

Originally Posted by shell&jim
Hello

My husband has a 3 year work permit to work for a company in Nova Scotia. My self and our 2 children were on the application as dependents. We were all planning to go out together at the end of January. As the timescale has been so short we are now thinking that it would be less stressful if my husband could move out there on his own for a month or two to see if he likes the job and organise the big move.

My question is would we be able to go over separately? If not could he get his work permit changed? It may not help with this but I am a dual national (British/American) and have both passports. I could not find an answer on the official websites.

Thank you for any help.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

agibson6 is on a distinguished road

There is no problem going seperately. We're fairly local to you and moving to Ontario once our house is ready which is around mid-March. I picked up a 3 year work permit on my last visit in December so everything going smoothly as long as we can sell a few cars and couple houses !!

Hello

Thank you for any help.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

shell&jim has a brilliant futureshell&jim has a brilliant futureshell&jim has a brilliant futureshell&jim has a brilliant futureshell&jim has a brilliant futureshell&jim has a brilliant futureshell&jim has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by agibson6
There is no problem going seperately. We're fairly local to you and moving to Ontario once our house is ready which is around mid-March. I picked up a 3 year work permit on my last visit in December so everything going smoothly as long as we can sell a few cars and couple houses !!
Hello agibson6,

Does your wife/partner have a temporary residence visa...?
Old Jan 12th 2006, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

agibson6 is on a distinguished road

She will get an open work permit next time we travel to Canada which will probably be in february. This was requested on the paperwork I submitted for my work permit. I obtained my work permit at the airport last time I passed through.

All been very easy so far and the advice from the immigration lawyer my company uses has been spot on every time so far.
Hello agibson6,

Does your wife/partner have a temporary residence visa...?