Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Work Permit Application (no LMO required): In Advance or On Entry?

Work Permit Application (no LMO required): In Advance or On Entry?

Old Nov 29th 2008, 1:11 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work Permit Application (no LMO required): In Advance or On Entry?

Hi

Originally Posted by stuabroad
Think I found my answer in yet another lovely PDF from the CBSA website (http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/resourc...s/fw/fw01e.pdf) :

10. Open work permit

An open work permit enables the person to seek and accept employment, and to work for anyemployer for a specified period of time. An open permit may,however, restrict the occupation or location.

Open work permits should not be issued unless the person concerned may be issued a workpermit that is exempt from HRSDC confirmation.

10.1. Types of open work permits

There are two types of open permits that are presently used: those that are unrestricted, and those that restrict the occupation. Open work permits maybe issued with or without occupational restrictions, depending on the applicant’s medical status.

Open/unrestricted work permit

• the employer, location and the occupation are unrestricted; NOC coding 9999;

That'll be me then. Looks like i should qualify for the open permit
1. Simple answer, no you don't you require an employer.
2. Longer answer, open work permits are restricted to spouses of work permit holders (A,B,O NOC level), spouses of students, holders of PNP certificates, applicants in Canada, refugee claimants, SWAP, Bunac, WHP.

Last edited by PMM; Nov 29th 2008 at 1:12 pm. Reason: add
Old Nov 29th 2009, 7:20 am
Just Joined

JohnMarkh is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wbexpat
Ha ha. Thats the spirit.

Mind you I have read somewhere that the preferred sequence for a Scotsman is to arrive hammered, attempt to give the border guards some of your Scotsmac and then shout things like "is mah drenk no good enough for you, ya bastard" when they refuse. You should then throw your laptop at them, vomit capriciously on the luggage conveyor and run randomly around telling anyone that will listen how "Linux shites all owa Windeez man".

At that point you will be informed that Linux and Apache are not on the list (despite operating about 2/3 of the webservers on the planet according to Netcraft), tasered and put back on the plane.

You should be working as a comedian!
I need to read through another 100k posts but can't stop laughing!
Old Nov 29th 2009, 7:28 am
Just Joined

JohnMarkh is an unknown quantity at this point

stuabroad,

Did you go through the process?

John.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

bgeorg is an unknown quantity at this point

I just arrived at Toronto airport and applied at the customs officer for a temporary work permit. She sent me over to immigration Canada and all they wanted to see was the LMO. The entire process took just 15min and I got my TWP valid for 3 years. So, all I needed was the LMO, 15min and 150 CAD in cash. Was so easy and quick.

I compiled all those documents listed on the CIC-London webpage, including police certificates, passport pictures, reference letters, job offer letter, LMO etc. It did not only cost me lots of time, but also lots of money.

If you even don't need the LMO, just have your job offer at hand when you arrive at the airport and you should be fine.

To make sure, ask you employer to apply for a LMO. My employer used the online application and it took only 8 days and we got the positive LMO back - seems to be much faster than the postal written way.

B.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Mermaid3011 has a spectacular aura aboutMermaid3011 has a spectacular aura aboutMermaid3011 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by bgeorg
I just arrived at Toronto airport and applied at the customs officer for a temporary work permit. She sent me over to immigration Canada and all they wanted to see was the LMO. The entire process took just 15min and I got my TWP valid for 3 years. So, all I needed was the LMO, 15min and 150 CAD in cash. Was so easy and quick.
B.

awwww ... that sounds too good to be true!
I wonder if I could enter the immigration office at Pearson without being a passenger... has anyone tried that before? I know there is a door next to the arrival area... Obviously I'd rather not get tasered...
Old Nov 30th 2009, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

bgeorg is an unknown quantity at this point

Just take a day trip to Niagara Falls, walk over to the US, spend some time there and when you re-enter Canada, just apply for the work permit.

That should do the trick. You won't be able to 'walk' through the border at an airport :-)

B.