Wikiposts

Work Permit

Old Apr 11th 2007, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

Javarne has a spectacular aura aboutJavarne has a spectacular aura aboutJavarne has a spectacular aura about
Default Work Permit

Can anyone help or had any experience of this.

Can a UK citizen apply for a work permit at the POE. Some people say yes and others say you must be a US citizen.

Thank you
All the best
Old Apr 11th 2007, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Sarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Work Permit

Hi

We got our work permit at port of entry in Calgary in December. It is always a risk obviously incase you get refused but I know of many people that have done this and had no problems. We had postive LMO with us, and all the other supporting documents. Took husband about 15 mins to get the work permit. Husbands employer needed him over here asap so we did not delay by applying to london, and took the risk, it paid off for us.

One thing I would advise if you do this, dont go into things too much with the immigration officers, just answer what they need to know. A family before us went on abit too much about wanting to eventually live here etc and got the officers back up, took them about 45 mins and the way they were going i didnt think they were going to get it!
Just say you are here on a work permit and are leaving the country after the year or whatever. They dont need to know all the bits that havent actually happened yet!

Goodluck
Old Apr 11th 2007, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

gleech has a spectacular aura aboutgleech has a spectacular aura aboutgleech has a spectacular aura about

@sarahad,

I'm compiling the HRSDC LMO Timeline, please post your LMO Timeline here:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=441170

Thanks
Erick
Old Apr 11th 2007, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

Javarne has a spectacular aura aboutJavarne has a spectacular aura aboutJavarne has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Sarahad
I take it you were UK citizens?

We have already applied for PR in December before knowing of being transfered with my job so they will already know we want to move their permanently, but when I took the application to London she didn't see this being a problem?

All the best
Old Apr 11th 2007, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Sarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to behold

Yes we are also UK citizens. All i would advise is just answer what they ask you, dont get too carried away!
Old Apr 11th 2007, 4:23 am

gloveman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Javarne

Can a UK citizen apply for a work permit at the POE. Some people say yes and others say you must be a US citizen.

Thank you
All the best
Tangram has done just that on Easter Monday. We had his flights booked but his WP never turned so he took the risk and everything was fine. It is a risk and we were advised not to do it but I don't recall anyone recently on this site having any problems doing it that way. Good luck if you try.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

gleech has a spectacular aura aboutgleech has a spectacular aura aboutgleech has a spectacular aura about

@Javarne

sorry to hijacked your thread, just want to invite you to also please post your LMO timeline
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=441170

Thanks
Erick
Old Apr 11th 2007, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

Hey Gleech, no problem buddy.

Thanks all. May just have to take the risk : ) So you basically just re-apply and pay again at the POE and provide all the documents.

All the best
Old Apr 11th 2007, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

I don't need an LMO gleech as i'm an intra company transferee : )

All the best
Old Apr 12th 2007, 2:09 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby had an approved LMO when he landed to take trade exams - didn't want a work permit at that time (too soon we hadn't sold the house) but got one for 3 months anyway so he ended up moving sooner than anticipated, I just got a 6 month visitor permit for daughter and self when we arrived and then swapped them to work and study permits. UK citizens, landing in Calgary 2005.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

mandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to behold
Cool Re: Work Permit

Thank you
All the best
Hiya,we just arrived last week and we both applied at POE for our work permits and had them accepted.
Aslong as you have all you paperwork in order its pretty straight forward.

Mandi
Old Apr 18th 2007, 4:20 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

CIC website is your friend:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/worker-3.html
Old Apr 18th 2007, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Javarne

Here is a quote out of the introduction letter from my lawyer for when I go to POE to get my WP

Because she is a British citizen, she may apply for her work permit at a port of entry when entering Canada.

Hope that this helps

gaynor
x
Old Apr 19th 2007, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Gaynor
Guess that is a yes : )

All the best