Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

work for non-profit organization at 48 years old

work for non-profit organization at 48 years old

Old Mar 14th 2011, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

FoggyAlbion is an unknown quantity at this point
Default work for non-profit organization at 48 years old

Dear all, this is my first post. I have been trying to find any possibilities of moving to Canada from the UK. I am 48y.o. woman and haven’t got any degrees although was working in Accounts Department for several years. I have contacted at non-profit organization L’Arche to work for couple of years as a live-in-assistant but they refused my application without any explanation. I have been trying to find similar NPO to L’Arche but could find for students only. Are there any possibilities at my age without specific skills to find such a company who needs live-in-assistants for long period of staying? I also haven’t got care giving experience as a paid job. Nevertheless I have been a caregiver to my mother when she needed full-time care and attention after her last stroke. I was giving her a daily bed bath, changing diapers and many other things. I was caring and being by her side until her death. I was helping my daughter with her newborn baby last year. I really enjoyed doing that because I love helping people.
Could anybody give me some advice, please?
Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: work for non-profit organization at 48 years old

You could have a look at the live in care giver program

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/ca.../apply-who.asp

http://www.liveincaregiverprogram.com/

It is a scheme for Qualified and experienced caregivers.

From what you has said, I am not sure if you would qualify but it is worth a look.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by britsnake
You could have a look at the live in care giver program

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/ca.../apply-who.asp

http://www.liveincaregiverprogram.com/

It is a scheme for Qualified and experienced caregivers.

From what you has said, I am not sure if you would qualify but it is worth a look.
Thanks for a link, Britsnake. I have checked that way but I haven't got an experience on that field. I have been thinking about it and wanted to get a job as a caregiver for a year and then to apply. As I understand now its hard to get a job by that route at my age. Unfortunately I haven't got any ideas what else I can do about immigration. I am so upset!
Old Mar 15th 2011, 9:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You say you don't have a degree, do you have any post-secondary education?

You're unlikely to get a positive LMO for the kind of position you are looking at - that's probably why your application was refused, they just weren't prepared to go through the paperwork/wait/hassle of employing you rather than a Canadian.

How about a study permit, or the NS Community Identified Stream if you have post-secondary education?

Good luck.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You say you don't have a degree, do you have any post-secondary education?

You're unlikely to get a positive LMO for the kind of position you are looking at - that's probably why your application was refused, they just weren't prepared to go through the paperwork/wait/hassle of employing you rather than a Canadian.

How about a study permit, or the NS Community Identified Stream if you have post-secondary education?

Good luck.
Thank you very much for your help. Yes, I have got a post-secondary education but never thought I could be a student at my age. Now I am looking at some Universities and also NS Community Identified Stream.
Once again a huge thanks for your help.