Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

work limits on a Study permit outside of term

work limits on a Study permit outside of term

Old Oct 27th 2021, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute
Default work limits on a Study permit outside of term

Hi there, so I'm currently a first year student at university on a study permit which allows working on or off campus. up to 20 hours during study times, but unlimited work outside of that.

My question is when exactly does the outside of that bit kick in?

So for example this semester effectively my last lecture is the Nov 29th, I have an optional exam prep class on the Dec 6th and my last exam is the Dec 13th?

The universities last day of classes is Dec 6th, their exam period runs until the 16th, but the university is still open for library etc, and doesn't close until Dec 24th.

Just wondering what date would be the point where I could up my hours at work to get some extra cash in over Christmas? reading IRCC website states:

the break must be part of the DLI’s academic calendar (for instance, winter and summer holidays, Reading Week).

Which would suggest the 24th but then checking individual universities websites (mine doesn't have anything on the matter) some are saying its the day following the end of the exam period.

Just wondering if someone on here either knew the answer and could point to the official standing - not working extra hours isn't a deal breaker but if I could hammer in a 50/60 hour week before Christmas it would mean I could pay for Christmas and not need to worry about working when the other half is off between Christmas and new year.

Hoping PR comes through and its a non issue by then, but I've been hoping for 2 years now!!
Old Oct 27th 2021, 3:37 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: work limits on a Study permit outside of term

Regularly scheduled break: To be considered a regularly scheduled break, the break must be part of the DLI’s academic calendar (for instance, winter and summer holidays, Reading Week). Each regularly scheduled break should not be longer than 150 days. The maximum cumulative duration of scheduled breaks is 180 days per calendar year.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...mpus-work.html

The library being open has nothing to do with the Academic Calendar - which, as I understand it, is the date classes / exams etc., finish for the semester and will depend on the course being taken.. every University has them, which one are you attending?

For example:
https://www.westerncalendar.uwo.ca/S...ive&ArchiveID=

December 23, 2021 to January 02, 2022Winter Break.
Fall/Winter Term Date including Study Breaks
  • Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry - Dentistry
Old Oct 27th 2021, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...mpus-work.html

The library being open has nothing to do with the Academic Calendar - which, as I understand it, is the date classes / exams etc., finish for the semester and will depend on the course being taken.. every University has them, which one are you attending?

For example:
Thanks - and that's exactly what I mean, my course finishes well before the library etc closes. When I said mine doesn't say anything on the matter I meant around saying when the term is viewed to be over for international students - turns out after some digging, they do but have a number of different dates.

So I'm at KPU - and we have the following contradictory dates:

On the dates/deadlines page we have KPU term dates :Which states the holiday closure doesn't start until Xmas Eve (Click on fall 2021 term) - also note exam period finishes the 16th.

If we go to the academic schedule here it states term ends on the 20th December.

Then if we take a quote off their website:

Scheduled Breaks

• Break between academic semesters
    • The day after posted full-term final exam period until the day before the start of the next semester.
Which would suggest the 17th (following the top link with the exam period).

Hopefully you now understand my confusion - I'm tempted to play it safe and just not work more than 20 hours at all, but honestly that extra $1000 or so from doing a long week before Christmas would be a huge boost.

Old Oct 28th 2021, 1:57 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I believe it's 'term duration' you need to look at - rather than 'closures' or 'deadlines' (which are not the same as Academic Schedule dates)
https://calendar.kpu.ca/academic-schedule/

Fall 2021 Sep 07 – Dec 20, 2021
Spring 2022 Jan 05 – Apr 27, 2022
Summer 2022 May 09 – Aug 24, 2022

Hopefully someone else can confirm.
Old Oct 28th 2021, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

It is usually term duration ......... but check with your counsellor or representative, the International student advisor..

NEVER try to make sense of what is posted. I think no-one ever checks that B is saying the same thing that A posted last week for another department/faculty!

That's after over 35 years close association with a university.

I doubt it has changed much in the time since I retired.

For clarity ......... I was a member of staff, OH was faculty, daughter was a student at 2 universities in different provinces, and her OH was a student at 4 different universities in 2 provinces, so we've had experience at al levels of "clarity".
Old Oct 28th 2021, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I believe it's 'term duration' you need to look at - rather than 'closures' or 'deadlines' (which are not the same as Academic Schedule dates)
https://calendar.kpu.ca/academic-schedule/

Fall 2021 Sep 07 – Dec 20, 2021
Spring 2022 Jan 05 – Apr 27, 2022
Summer 2022 May 09 – Aug 24, 2022

Hopefully someone else can confirm.
This is where it could get tricky ............... a Canadian student might leave campus the day after their last exam (or later in the day of that exam), go home and get a job until the day before the next term begins. No-one really cares. They will also have the contacts, maybe from holiday jobs during high school.

BUT an international student has to be very careful ............. there should be an International Advisor to consult. The Student Advisor in your department might also give you good advice.

NOT another student, or faculty member or Head of Department!

Then the problem is finding a full time job for 10 days or so at Christmas, about the same time at the end of the Spring term, and then for the summer.

My daughter ended up having to design her own project in consultation with someone where she wanted to work, and THEN applying for her own funding, because they couldn't do it.

Luckily that worked for 3 consecutive summers.
Old Oct 28th 2021, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scilly
It is usually term duration ......... but check with your counsellor or representative, the International student advisor..

NEVER try to make sense of what is posted. I think no-one ever checks that B is saying the same thing that A posted last week for another department/faculty!

That's after over 35 years close association with a university.

I doubt it has changed much in the time since I retired.

For clarity ......... I was a member of staff, OH was faculty, daughter was a student at 2 universities in different provinces, and her OH was a student at 4 different universities in 2 provinces, so we've had experience at al levels of "clarity".
Yep, that's become abundantly clear - if I'm being honest its pretty disgusting though given the large amount of international students, and how technically their bad information posted on their website with conflicting dates could put someone in breach of their study permit and cause issues for PGWP etc.

Originally Posted by scilly
This is where it could get tricky ............... a Canadian student might leave campus the day after their last exam (or later in the day of that exam), go home and get a job until the day before the next term begins. No-one really cares. They will also have the contacts, maybe from holiday jobs during high school.

BUT an international student has to be very careful ............. there should be an International Advisor to consult. The Student Advisor in your department might also give you good advice.

NOT another student, or faculty member or Head of Department!

Then the problem is finding a full time job for 10 days or so at Christmas, about the same time at the end of the Spring term, and then for the summer.
Thanks, we have an international advisor or 4, their first comment was check online (hence me getting into this pickle)!! Will ask them next week, but honestly not sure how much trust I have in them to give me the right answer.

My thought for Christmas was I live close to Amazon, they are always desperate at Christmas, pay is typically $18 an hour, although they pay more for night shift, pay overtime and shift uplift at Christmas as they get desperate - and whilst it is a pretty awful job, I'd have no qualms about signing up for 12 hour days 6 days a week, and either jacking after Christmas or when they destroyed my soul (and if by some miracle it turned out to be enjoyable I'd inform them I could only work 20 hours a week if they still wanted me in the next semester). Whilst I have no experience over here with it, would imagine your supermarkets are always crying out for Xmas temps until the 24th.