Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Work from Home in Canada for a US Employer

Work from Home in Canada for a US Employer

Old Apr 4th 2005, 9:54 am
The ECA Godfather

MJ23 will become famous soon enough
Default Work from Home in Canada for a US Employer

Hi all,

Is it possible to work from home in Canada for a US employer? Does anyone have any experience with this as far as legal issues, taxes and any other issues?

Let's assume I have a Permanent Resident status in Canada and I have no legal status in the US, can the US firm hire me to work from my home in Canada? Any links to websites with guidance on this will be appreciated!
Old Apr 4th 2005, 12:41 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Work from Home in Canada for a US Employer

They cannot emply you but you may work for them as contractor from Canada. You will bill them and they will send you check or wire money to Canada. You will file tax return in Canada only. Nothing simpler.

Originally Posted by MJ23
Hi all,

Is it possible to work from home in Canada for a US employer? Does anyone have any experience with this as far as legal issues, taxes and any other issues?

Let's assume I have a Permanent Resident status in Canada and I have no legal status in the US, can the US firm hire me to work from my home in Canada? Any links to websites with guidance on this will be appreciated!
Old Apr 4th 2005, 1:04 pm
The ECA Godfather

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
They cannot emply you but you may work for them as contractor from Canada. You will bill them and they will send you check or wire money to Canada. You will file tax return in Canada only. Nothing simpler.
Thanks Andrew, I will definitly explore this possibility!

So can I assume that being self employed will not hurt my chances to sponsor my future wife? If I do sponsor my wife before filing my first year taxes in Canada, will a letter from a US firm stating my work relationship with them and how much they paid me be enough evidence to satisfy the immigration officer in Canada?

Thanks again!
Old Apr 4th 2005, 1:18 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

No, it won't affect sponsorship at all. As long as you live permanently here and only work as contractor telecommuting to US job you have absolutely no problams. More - as a self-employed you will have more options to write your expenses off that you would have as employee.

Originally Posted by MJ23
Thanks Andrew, I will definitly explore this possibility!

So can I assume that being self employed will not hurt my chances to sponsor my future wife? If I do sponsor my wife before filing my first year taxes in Canada, will a letter from a US firm stating my work relationship with them and how much they paid me be enough evidence to satisfy the immigration officer in Canada?

Thanks again!
Old Apr 4th 2005, 1:27 pm
The ECA Godfather

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
No, it won't affect sponsorship at all. As long as you live permanently here and only work as contractor telecommuting to US job you have absolutely no problams. More - as a self-employed you will have more options to write your expenses off that you would have as employee.
Thank you Andrew! As always, great information. I appreciate your help!