Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Work Experience - What evidence to be provide?

Work Experience - What evidence to be provide?

Old Apr 4th 2008, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

immigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the rough
Default Work Experience - What evidence to be provide?

I would like to ask, what evidence to be provide when I claimed my work experience?

I know that there is very strict requirement in Australia, it need reference letter with company letterhead, supervisor or employer's signature, very details job description and much information included into reference. If not to do so, even many work experience not mean nomination occupation can be passed.

How about Canada? Even official website doesn't mention it:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...experience.asp

Thank you for your help.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 8:59 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Work Experience - What evidence to be provide?

Requirements for Hong Kong visa post are here:

http://geo.international.gc.ca/asia/.../sw-hk-kit.pdf

I wonder how did you apply without reading it all???
Old Apr 4th 2008, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

immigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Requirements for Hong Kong visa post are here:

http://geo.international.gc.ca/asia/.../sw-hk-kit.pdf

I wonder how did you apply without reading it all???
I'd read about it, but it still unclear (with Canada work experience), such as "your main responsibilities in each position", how details it need? If the reference only dropped a few words, say about 3 - 4 lines in a paragraph for each reference letter, do it enough?

"a business card of the person who signed the letter", if I have no my supervisor's business card, does it accept?

For not Canada work experience, it just say "original and up-to-date letters of reference from your past and current employers; letters must be written on company letterhead and show the company's full address, telephone and fax numbers, and be stamped with the company's official seal"

Too simple!

If my reference letter no company's official seal but I got official seal with tax return, does it be accept?

Last edited by immigrants; Apr 4th 2008 at 9:20 am.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 9:30 am

Reference letters (it is irrelevant if you clam experience in Canada or abroad) must confirm fact of employment, period of employment, hours per week worked, salary and duties performed. It must help you conclusively prove having experience in occupation you claimed - to be able to claim any occupation you must follow rules as per R80(3) here:

http://www.canlii.org/ca/regu/sor2002-227/sec80.html

(3) For the purposes of subsection (1), a skilled worker is considered to have experience in an occupation, regardless of whether they meet the occupation's employment requirements of the occupation as set out in the occupational descriptions of the National Occupational Classification, if they performed

(a) the actions described in the lead statement for the occupation as set out in the National Occupational Classification; and

(b) at least a substantial number of the main duties of the occupation as set out in the occupational descriptions of the National Occupational Classification, including all the essential duties.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

Reference letters (it is irrelevant if you clam experience in Canada or abroad) must confirm fact of employment, period of employment, hours per week worked, salary and duties performed. It must help you conclusively prove having experience in occupation you claimed - to be able to claim any occupation you must follow rules as per R80(3) here:

http://www.canlii.org/ca/regu/sor2002-227/sec80.html

(3) For the purposes of subsection (1), a skilled worker is considered to have experience in an occupation, regardless of whether they meet the occupation's employment requirements of the occupation as set out in the occupational descriptions of the National Occupational Classification, if they performed

(a) the actions described in the lead statement for the occupation as set out in the National Occupational Classification; and

(b) at least a substantial number of the main duties of the occupation as set out in the occupational descriptions of the National Occupational Classification, including all the essential duties.
Why Hong Kong consulate required company official's seal? If my reference no seal on it, does it OK?

Another point is, how details are need in reference letter?

Finally, I would like to ask, does it only request Canada's working experience fulfil the requirement
such as job description, business card and so on?

Last edited by immigrants; Apr 4th 2008 at 10:03 am.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 10:55 am

Not only HK requires official seal on reference letters, many other visa posts do it too - of course for reference letters coming from jurisdictions where such official company's seal/stamp are regularly used. It is not the case with Canada and US where we don't use company stamps or seals on any formal correspondence - letter on official company's letterhead with business card of signatory will suffice.

I have listed in my previous post what minimum information must be included in reference letter, didn't you read it?

Letters of reference from all jobs, in Canada and anywhere else you worked must provide the same information, business card, etc..
Old Apr 4th 2008, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Moggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to all

I devised a template for the 'confirmation of employment' letter from each of my relevant posts for work experience, which I sent electroncally to my previous employers.

I drafted it out to ensure that the letter contained the necessary information for Canadian Immigration.

In the final sentence I wrote 'I enclose a business card as requested/I am not able to provide a business card' and asked the person writing the reference to delete which was not applicable.

I also added a similar statement regarding a company stamp 'The company does not have a stamp and therefore we are unable to stamp this letter'. This sentence to be deleted if a stamp not available.

A checklist was sent for the referees. They said they found this a helpful approach and it ensured that I received exactly what I wanted.

Good luck
Old Apr 4th 2008, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Not only HK requires official seal on reference letters, many other visa posts do it too - of course for reference letters coming from jurisdictions where such official company's seal/stamp are regularly used. It is not the case with Canada and US where we don't use company stamps or seals on any formal correspondence - letter on official company's letterhead with business card of signatory will suffice.

I have listed in my previous post what minimum information must be included in reference letter, didn't you read it?

Letters of reference from all jobs, in Canada and anywhere else you worked must provide the same information, business card, etc..
I'm not sure which post you posted include minimun information must be included in reference letter? Can you give me the link or request forum admin to put it into top?

I'm no doubt it must need reference letter, my questions is how details the reference letters need, and do it need company's seal/stamp and how come if the reference letter without the company's seal or stamp?

Last edited by immigrants; Apr 4th 2008 at 3:14 pm.