Work Experience & References

Old Dec 30th 2009, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

Tiger_Quimpo will become famous soon enoughTiger_Quimpo will become famous soon enough
Default Work Experience & References

Hi,

I'm trying to get the wheels in motion ahead of my 120 day letter and have a question or two on work references:

1) The application ask for details of employment for the last 10 years, do I only need references covering that period and those employers? The guidelines are less specific than the application form and just talk about past and present employers.

2) I was previously (for just under 6 years) a self employed IT contractor and operated under my own limited company. Anyone have any insights into how I respond re: references and employment contracts etc..?

Thanks in advance.

TQ.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

debs_2009 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Work Experience & References

Hi

1. I didn't have all my previous employment history so sent what I could. Copy of my current employment contract, references from my previous jobs and for the companies that didn't provide a reference i sent a letter to the embassy explaining that they did not respond and just gave them company name, date worked and address.

2. For the self employed part i would provide similar information, try and get references, provide name and address of company worked at. Also, could you copy your self assessment as proof of being a contractor. I found that as long as i could account for where i have been working and explain any gaps for not working I didn't encounter any problems from the embassy.

Hope this helps, ket me know if you need any more information.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Tiger_Quimpo will become famous soon enoughTiger_Quimpo will become famous soon enough

Cheers Bebs.

I'm starting to see a trend on the forum re: the right way to approach questions and provide evidence and that is that there is no definitive right answer and that simply applying common sense is often the best you can do.

Thanks again, I'll request references for each previous employer and if they do not respond, I'll say as much.

TQ.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Bebs? Sorry about the typo. Cheers Debs. TQ.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

timballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nice

As you'll know, when you're an IT contractor, the company you worked for has absolutely nothing to gain by giving you a reference so it's unlikely you'll get what you need.

We asked this question at one of the immigration fairs. There's one coming up soon in Glasgow isn't there so you'll be able to ask them directly yourself. Reps from CIC will be there holding information seminars, but will also be at their own stand and can be spoken to on a one-to-one. We were told that in our situation, having our own limited company for a number of years, that we should supply our company accounts and copies of contracts (which usually have some sort of job description).

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

It does help. Thanks.

TQ.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

Hi timballs,

You mention an immigration fair - do you have any more details? I wasn't aware of it.

Cheers,

TQ.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

LinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiger_Quimpo
Hi timballs,

You mention an immigration fair - do you have any more details? I wasn't aware of it.

Cheers,

TQ.
Tiger,
Details below
13-14th March SECC. Might see you there. Tickets £10 each Kids go free.
http://www.emigrate2.co.uk/shows_and_publications.htm
Lnsy
Old Jan 1st 2010, 10:40 pm
Outsyder Adventurer

misskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud of

Also, there's one at Esher, Surrey (Sandown Park Racecourse) on 6th & 7th March. It's £11 per adult if booked in advance.

I've just bought our tickets today. As well as all the usual stands, there's 4 Canadian based presentations throughout the day.

Take a look at www.emigrate2.co.uk for more info.

Regards, Katie
Old Jan 1st 2010, 10:41 pm
Outsyder Adventurer

misskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud of

Ah yes, LinsyPinsy already posted the emigrate2 link