Work Experience and NOCs

Old Feb 18th 2013, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

gb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to all
Default Work Experience and NOCs

Myself and a number of other posters seem a little confused regarding the work experience and NOC code requirements relating to the Canadian immigration process for FSWs.

I decided to try and do a little digging and more detailed reading (instead of just skimming things) and these are my thoughts on what I’ve read from the previous application guide pack (obviously the new one could be completely different). Obviously I am not an expert so this is literally my interpretation of what I’ve read – nothing more.

So here goes, quotations from the FSW application pack on…

Minimum Work Experience:

You / experience must:
 “...have at least ONE YEAR of CONTINUOUS full-time, PAID work experience or the equivalent in part-time continuous employment”
 “…have had this experience within the LAST 10 YEARS”
 “be SKILL TYPE 0…or level A…or B”

Later it says…

 “…at least one year of full-time, paid work experience or the equivalent in part-time employment.”

N.B – This quote is less restrictive than the first clause quoted as it makes no mention of “continuous”. However, I would be inclined to suspect the worst and say the more restrictive clause takes precedent.

 “You will earn points for the number of years you have spent in full-time (37.5 hours per week), paid work.”

Determining NOC Category:

Use NOC website:

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/...1/Welcome.aspx to…

 “find the NOC or NOC’s category that match your work experience in all the jobs you have had FOR AT LEAST ONE YEAR in the past 10 years

Note: This suggests that multiple NOCs (not NOC’s – didn’t pass your IELTS there did you CIC?) are accepted. Whether they are then added together (e.g. 1yr+ NOC-1111 and 1yr+ NOC 2222 =2yr+ relevant experience) to aggregate your work experience remains to be seen.

 The initial description and list of main duties for the NOC must match what you did in your job.

Later is says…

 “Follow the instructions to find the NOC category that matches your work experience.”
 “If the initial description AND list of main duties match what you did at your last job(s), you can use this experience to earn points”
 “If the description does not match your work experience, then you might not have the experience you need to apply as a skilled worker. Look through the NOC list to see if another occupation matches your experience. Check all the jobs you had in the past 10 years to see if you have at least one year of work experience in a job that will qualify you as a skilled worker.”

To summarise, my assessment is:
1. You need periods of continuous paid employment of one or more years for work experience to count.
2. The experience must be within the last 10 years to count.
3. The experience must be full-time, or full time equivalent in part time hours (i.e. 37.5hrs per week = 1,950hrs per year = 1,950hrs of continuous employment = 1 year of employment).
4. It must be in ‘Skill Type’ 0 or ‘Skill Level’ A or B
5. The description AND list of main duties in the NOC you select must match some or all of what you did in your previous job(s).

Still need clarification:

Can two different NOC experiences count towards more than one years work experience:

E.g. Does the below = 1-2 years of relevant experience or 2-3 years?

NOC 1111 – 1.25 Years
NOC 2222 – 1.25 Years
Total= 2.50 Years (Real. What CIC?)

Yours,

GB_Griffiths.

P.S - Sorry for the length of this post.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

Boogler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Work Experience and NOCs

Just to add another detail (to confuse us all abit more ) Full Time Work is now equated to 30 hours per week instead of 37.5:

The definition of “full-time work” will be amended to reflect a change in usual duration that is consistent with the definition used by HRSDC and Statistics Canada, equalling 30 hours per week, or the equivalent in continuous part-time work

I'm still pretty sure that only 1 year must have been continuous. i.e you could have 1 year (noc code 1111), 6 months (noc code 1112) and 6 months (noc code 1113) and you would be able to claim points for 2 years work experience - so long as they were all skilled work.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

gb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Boogler
Just to add another detail (to confuse us all abit more ) Full Time Work is now equated to 30 hours per week instead of 37.5:

The definition of “full-time work” will be amended to reflect a change in usual duration that is consistent with the definition used by HRSDC and Statistics Canada, equalling 30 hours per week, or the equivalent in continuous part-time work

I'm still pretty sure that only 1 year must have been continuous. i.e you could have 1 year (noc code 1111), 6 months (noc code 1112) and 6 months (noc code 1113) and you would be able to claim points for 2 years work experience - so long as they were all skilled work.
Hey Boogler,

Where did the info come from re: a 30hr week?

Yours,

GB_Griffiths.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

Boogler is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey,

I found it reading the immigration rules in the Canada Gazette:

http://gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/2012/2.../reg2-eng.html

I really need to start getting out more!
Old Feb 18th 2013, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boogler
Hey,

I found it reading the immigration rules in the Canada Gazette:

http://gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/2012/2.../reg2-eng.html

I really need to start getting out more!
Me too. I was going to go to the gym tonight. Then do weights at home instead. Now I'm eating cake and sitting in front of the PC trying to piece together this FSW application pack clap-trap.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 9:37 am
Canadian Wannabe :-)

BabyG will become famous soon enoughBabyG will become famous soon enough

I spent the best part of the weekend trying to understand the whole thing, but then it was pointed out that I was looking at the wrong guide.

The gazette link is the one to use.... I've read it, but missed the hours thing - I was going to read it in detail tonight - I went to the gym instead!

I must say I'm glad I'm not the only one who is finding this whole thing completely baffling - although I am easily confused
Old Feb 19th 2013, 4:00 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gb_griffiths
Myself and a number of other posters seem a little confused regarding the work experience and NOC code requirements relating to the Canadian immigration process for FSWs.

I decided to try and do a little digging and more detailed reading (instead of just skimming things) and these are my thoughts on what I’ve read from the previous application guide pack (obviously the new one could be completely different). Obviously I am not an expert so this is literally my interpretation of what I’ve read – nothing more.

So here goes, quotations from the FSW application pack on…

Minimum Work Experience:

You / experience must:
 “...have at least ONE YEAR of CONTINUOUS full-time, PAID work experience or the equivalent in part-time continuous employment”
 “…have had this experience within the LAST 10 YEARS”
 “be SKILL TYPE 0…or level A…or B”

Later it says…

 “…at least one year of full-time, paid work experience or the equivalent in part-time employment.”

N.B – This quote is less restrictive than the first clause quoted as it makes no mention of “continuous”. However, I would be inclined to suspect the worst and say the more restrictive clause takes precedent.

 “You will earn points for the number of years you have spent in full-time (37.5 hours per week), paid work.”

Determining NOC Category:

Use NOC website:

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/...1/Welcome.aspx to…

 “find the NOC or NOC’s category that match your work experience in all the jobs you have had FOR AT LEAST ONE YEAR in the past 10 years

Note: This suggests that multiple NOCs (not NOC’s – didn’t pass your IELTS there did you CIC?) are accepted. Whether they are then added together (e.g. 1yr+ NOC-1111 and 1yr+ NOC 2222 =2yr+ relevant experience) to aggregate your work experience remains to be seen.

 The initial description and list of main duties for the NOC must match what you did in your job.

Later is says…

 “Follow the instructions to find the NOC category that matches your work experience.”
 “If the initial description AND list of main duties match what you did at your last job(s), you can use this experience to earn points”
 “If the description does not match your work experience, then you might not have the experience you need to apply as a skilled worker. Look through the NOC list to see if another occupation matches your experience. Check all the jobs you had in the past 10 years to see if you have at least one year of work experience in a job that will qualify you as a skilled worker.”

To summarise, my assessment is:
1. You need periods of continuous paid employment of one or more years for work experience to count.
2. The experience must be within the last 10 years to count. correct
3. The experience must be full-time, or full time equivalent in part time hours (i.e. 37.5hrs per week = 1,950hrs per year = 1,950hrs of continuous employment = 1 year of employment). Correct
4. It must be in ‘Skill Type’ 0 or ‘Skill Level’ A or B - Correct
5. The description AND list of main duties in the NOC you select must match some or all of what you did in your previous job(s). The job title does not need to match - but the duties most deffo do.

Still need clarification:

Can two different NOC experiences count towards more than one years work experience:

E.g. Does the below = 1-2 years of relevant experience or 2-3 years? It is 1 - 2 in each NOC. If they were both in 1111 and were one straight after the other, you could roll them together and claim 2-3 years.

NOC 1111 – 1.25 Years
NOC 2222 – 1.25 Years
Total= 2.50 Years (Real. What CIC?)

Yours,

GB_Griffiths.

P.S - Sorry for the length of this post.
See above in red