Work Experience for CEC

Old Jul 30th 2020, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

synaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Work Experience for CEC

Hi everyone,

Posting this here after removing it from another thread as per the mods request.

I am preparing to move to Vancouver in Feburary for two years having just got a three year research job at a UK university with an initial two year period based at a university in Vancouver before a mandatory one year return period in the UK.

I visited Vancouver in 2015 for a conference and fell in love with it (after I got over the jet lag induced anxiety of having to cross very wide roads where it turns out 'cross' doesn't mean cars and giant trucks have to stop ) and given my partner and I feel like we're in a bit of a dead end with our current careers (or lack thereof) we're pretty excited to do something new and different for a couple of years. Now because we feel we're in such a dead end currently we are also going to use this two year period in Canada as testing the waters for a more permanent move to Canada via express entry, mostly likely Canadian Experience Class if we can - there seems to be much more work for people with my skills/expertise both inside and outside academia in Vancouver. Whatever happens we will be going back to the UK for at least a year so we have plenty of time to decide and compare life in the UK and BC.

So my question: it's looking like the most likely scenario for my income while I am in Canada under my temporary work permit is that it will come from the UK and be taxed in the UK even though I will be working in Canada under a work permit via unpaid 'employment' at a Canadian university. Given the income and tax is all UK based and my Canadian 'employment' has no salary attached to it, will my work still count as 'Canadian work experience' for the Canadian experience class route for express entry? I am aware there are other routes for express entry and I believe I am eligible for the federal skilled worker route (I have two years of NOC 0 experience already and will have a further three after my research project) but the greater focus on money/savings for it makes it a little trickier.

Thanks!
Old Jul 31st 2020, 2:57 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work Experience for CEC

Hello and welcome to BE!
You may find this of use - https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpce...num=855&top=29
You may be able to count experience as a teaching, research or lab assistant at a post-secondary educational institution, (see National Occupation Classification 4012) toward the work experience requirement, depending on the eligibility criteria of the programs.
I think the issue that might arise is the fact you won't be 'employed and paid' by a Canadian faculty.. hopefully those with more knowledge will be able to advise

This also may be of use: http://www.hr.ubc.ca/faculty-relatio...toral-fellows/

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 31st 2020 at 3:05 am.
Old Aug 11th 2020, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

synaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond reputesynaesthesia has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! I've looked into it some more and it seems a bit of a grey area. I think because I will be working in Canada with a work permit that it's more likely to count than not count from what I've read. Even if it doesn't count my points would still be 30-40 points clear of the current average draw, it's just not a super comfortable place to be when I have no idea what the points situation (or even immigration system if there's a change of government which is looking more and more likely by the day) is going to be like a few years down the line.

It's probably one of those things I'll need to make official enquiries about if there's a place I can do that. I'll check the web form and see if you can make general enquiries or if it has to be related to an ongoing application.
Old Aug 11th 2020, 4:47 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by synaesthesia
Thanks! I've looked into it some more and it seems a bit of a grey area. I think because I will be working in Canada with a work permit that it's more likely to count than not count from what I've read. Even if it doesn't count my points would still be 30-40 points clear of the current average draw, it's just not a super comfortable place to be when I have no idea what the points situation (or even immigration system if there's a change of government which is looking more and more likely by the day) is going to be like a few years down the line.

It's probably one of those things I'll need to make official enquiries about if there's a place I can do that. I'll check the web form and see if you can make general enquiries or if it has to be related to an ongoing application.
No you can't 'question' them on this No general enquiries by email.. - that's what Immigration Consultants are for (or one of our friendly experts - calling PMM / Snowy / Christmasoompa / FL ) ......... unfortunately the only contact you would be able to make by phone is with the 'disinformation line' - a team of call centre agents, not immigration officers.

However - if you have sufficient points, couldn't you apply now? Then you wouldn't have to worry about what immigration streams are available in the future - we always recommend that people apply as soon as they qualify to, with the highest points available (don't forget you will lose points every birthday).

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 11th 2020 at 4:51 pm.
Old Aug 11th 2020, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Well the points I have are based on where I will be in two years (including age and work experience) so I will maybe do the thing again assuming an application now.

If I do get the points, the main thing stopping me from doing it now is that my work permit application is still in process and my brain is currently full of moving to Canada on a work permit stuff. It's for a job that lasts three years with the last year based in the UK (leaving early is also not an option). I hadn't actually thought of doing PR while we're in Canada so I might look into that but that mandatory year in the UK may throw a spanner in the works. I suppose finally the other reason is cost. I have only skimmed the requirements but you need a lot of money if you don't go through the CEC route if I remember correctly? Despite having a PhD and a skilled technician job and my partner working in retail management, we can barely afford to save as it is and all our spare money is going into this current move...

But yes I will definitely look into the options of applying sooner... maybe once we get there, I'm not sure my brain can handle much more at this moment...
Old Aug 11th 2020, 5:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...nce-class.html

One year of skilled work experience

Your experience must be at least:
  • One year of full-time work
    • 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours), or
  • equal amount in part-time hours, such as:
    • 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
    • 30 hours/week for 12 months at more than 1 job = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
For part-time work, you can work more or less than 15 hours/week as long as it adds up to 1,560 hours.

We don’t count any hours you work above 30 hours/week.
  • have gained your work experience by working in Canada legally
Old Aug 11th 2020, 7:10 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...nce-class.html

One year of skilled work experience

Your experience must be at least:
  • One year of full-time work
    • 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours), or
  • equal amount in part-time hours, such as:
    • 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
    • 30 hours/week for 12 months at more than 1 job = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
For part-time work, you can work more or less than 15 hours/week as long as it adds up to 1,560 hours.

We don’t count any hours you work above 30 hours/week.
  • have gained your work experience by working in Canada legally
Does it still count if the OP is employed and paid from the UK though?
Old Aug 11th 2020, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Does it still count if the OP is employed and paid from the UK though?
Good question and that is one for IRCC to determine. Obviously a work permit is issued to allow person to work in Canada. I am guessing on the work permit it has the name of the Canadian University. I tend to think as this is for research purposes and her UK employer has an agreement for this work to be done in Canada and legally she is employed and paid by a UK company it might not fall into the CEC Class even though the work is being done in Canada. Someone from IRCC needs to answer this.
Old Aug 13th 2020, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

I guess it all depends on whether the experience is the thing they value or the pay/tax. Afterall I will be living in Canada on a work permit for the Canadian university, based in an office there with full access to their facilities and getting involved with events and the research community just like any other employee. It would seem odd if it didn't count but then again immigration systems are bizarre and arbitrary things so it also wouldn't suprise me...