work experience

Old Oct 10th 2010, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

jade77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default work experience

hello all!

don't really like adding another thread, but wouldn't want this question to sort of get buried...

does only experience in the current list of 29 occupations count or would any work experience that would be classified as skilled, i.e. anything that you'd find on levels A, B and O of the NOC, bring you points? I do understand that a minumum of one year of work experience in one of the 29 occupations is a prerequisite for applying.

this question has probably either been asked and answered already (but I can't find it) or the answer is so obvious no one has bothered to ask it I'd be very grateful if someone could give me a definitive answer, the more I look at the cic webiste and the guide, etc, the more confused I get

probably just too stressed for rational thought, help would be greatly appreciated
Old Oct 10th 2010, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: work experience

To CIC, you're a number and it's black and white.

From experience of past failure; all they do is score you against the qualifying criterior. Any experience outside the points system doesn't count towards the points score I'm afraid.

Good luck!
Old Oct 10th 2010, 6:19 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spaceace
To CIC, you're a number and it's black and white.

From experience of past failure; all they do is score you against the qualifying criterior. Any experience outside the points system doesn't count towards the points score I'm afraid.

Good luck!
Is that right? I thought any of the appropriate set of NOC codes counted (a & b I think, but not sure) for points, not just the 29. The list of 29 is a secondary criteria applied by CIC on top of the points system for those without job offers. You don't need to have a job on the list if you have a job offer was my understanding.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 7:20 pm
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

It was my understanding that under the new system, those with a job in the 29 codes get priority. Others can apply with experience in NOC A, B but may never get out of line and be processed unless they have a job offer that pushes them up the list.

By the way, have you looked at Quebec immigration if the 29 jobs list is a problem? Not a bad way to get in if you speak or are prepared to learn some French.

Reccomend posting this in the Immigration forum - lots of people there asking these types of questions.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 7:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Any experience in NOC level A, 0 or B will count for points, but at least one year (full-time) of that must be in a job on the list of 29 to make you eligible in the first instance.

Hope that helps.

Old Oct 10th 2010, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

jade77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Any experience in NOC level A, 0 or B will count for points, but at least one year (full-time) of that must be in a job on the list of 29 to make you eligible in the first instance.

Hope that helps.

thanks to all those who took the time to reply

my understanding was the same as christmasoompa's, but then - just talking to different people - i figured out that this was not the way everyone understood it. hope christmasoompa's right - i've got enought points with just the years of work experience in one of the occupations on the pre-June 26th list (i've already applied), but i figure having extra points won't hurt

btw, sorry for posting in the wrong place
Old Oct 12th 2010, 5:49 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jade77
thanks to all those who took the time to reply

my understanding was the same as christmasoompa's, but then - just talking to different people - i figured out that this was not the way everyone understood it. hope christmasoompa's right - i've got enought points with just the years of work experience in one of the occupations on the pre-June 26th list (i've already applied), but i figure having extra points won't hurt

btw, sorry for posting in the wrong place
christmasoompa is correct.