Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Work as contractor in Quebec with CSQ?

Wikiposts

Work as contractor in Quebec with CSQ?

Old Jan 21st 2014, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

WW-AB-uk-ca is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work as contractor in Quebec with CSQ?

A specific question on immigration and contract employment in Québec. I've searched this forum and immigration sites and can't find an answer.

Consider a hypothetical immigrant to Québec who:
  • Has a Temporary Work Permit, Skilled Worker class, naming a sponsor company.
  • Has achieved CSQ (Certificat de sélection du Québec: QC equivalent of Provincal Nominee).
  • Is in the waiting period for PR (application receipt, no more paperwork requested, medical done).
  • Has been laid off from the sponsor company, so is looking for work...

Fact: Our immigrant is able to accept any permanent job offer in Québec.
(see After obtaining the CSQ)
  • No need for CAQ and, thus, no need for employer to get LMO.
  • Work Permit update application accompanied by CSQ and job offer.

Question: Is our immigrant able to accept an offer of contract work?

In other words, do immigration rules distinguish and disallow working as an independent contractor for a client company compared to working as a permanent employee of that client company as employer?
Old Jan 21st 2014, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work as contractor in Quebec with CSQ?

I don't know the answer *today*, I'm afraid, but would wish you good luck.

(When I arrived in 1996, with CSQ, & PR granted but awaiting paperwork, the answer was no.)