Word of advice - IELTS

Old Jul 27th 2005, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

mirekj will become famous soon enoughmirekj will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Word of advice - IELTS

Hi Bart
thanks for wishes. look at my signature, now I am waiting for final decision - I hope, how long, how hard - I don't know ...
keep your finger crossed !

good luck
Mirek

Originally Posted by bartM
Hi Mirek,

Good thing you took IELTS, now I really recommend it for all my friends that want to get to Canada. How's your IA going?

Take care and powodzenia,

Bart
Old Jul 27th 2005, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

juliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the rough

I had a lady interviewer for my IELTS test and she gave me a 9.
1 advice, clean up, brush your teeth, put on some of that Armani after shave,get in your best suit and look her in the eyes.........

Of course.....look at me ( on the right ) ....who wouldn't give ME a 9 ?

Last edited by juliusmaximus; Jul 27th 2005 at 8:02 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

Sania is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, i never planned to go to Canada. But last year I wanted to go to UK for study and as preparation I got 7.0 in IELTS.

I got few qes.

Is 7.0 is enough to get the maximum point for English prof... ? I think maximum point is 16.

And here is another qes,

I calculated my points and i got 69 *sigh* (I assumed i got 16 in english prof)

I just wanna know some main reasons to get declined for the immigration even though you get little over minimum points.

can anyone please tell me?

Thanks
Old Jul 27th 2005, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Hi
If you got 7 or more in each category (LWRS) you can count 16 in CIC scale,
if you need more info about immigration to Canada go to www.cic.gc.ca
you can find lots of info there
good luck
MJ

Originally Posted by Sania
Well, i never planned to go to Canada. But last year I wanted to go to UK for study and as preparation I got 7.0 in IELTS.

I got few qes.

Is 7.0 is enough to get the maximum point for English prof... ? I think maximum point is 16.

And here is another qes,

I just wanna know some main reasons to get declined for the immigration even though you get little over minimum points.

Thanks
Old Jul 28th 2005, 12:36 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

You need to get 7.0 or better in each of 4 skills on IELTS test to get 16 points. The overall score doesn't count.

Main reason, other than inadmissibilty (medical, criminal or security) reasons for refusal of application assessed with enough score to reach or exceed pass mark is to be found in section 76(3) of IRPA Regulations here:

http://www.canlii.org/ca/regu/sor2-227/sec76.html

--------------------
R76(3) Whether or not the skilled worker has been awarded the minimum number of required points referred to in subsection (2), an officer may substitute for the criteria set out in paragraph (1)(a) their evaluation of the likelihood of the ability of the skilled worker to become economically established in Canada if the number of points awarded is not a sufficient indicator of whether the skilled worker may become economically established in Canada.
--------------------

Originally Posted by Sania

I got few qes.

And here is another qes,

Thanks
Old Aug 28th 2005, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

Hi Bart
I found your old post, because my situation is more serious now - look at:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=322495

I would like know, how did you order your CAIPS, by any agency or by yourself. How much did you pay if through an agency ?
And, is it very usefull to know how things going in specific case ?

please answer
Mirek
Old Aug 28th 2005, 7:52 am
Pinko lentil-hugger

Hipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to all

Originally Posted by himalayanwhistlekid
These Language tests.....
I am English and am not claiming proficiency in any other language, I only ticked basic French so I don't have to do the tests for English or French do I??
Could anybody clarify whether this is the case please? Thanks!
Old Aug 28th 2005, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Kazphillips will become famous soon enoughKazphillips will become famous soon enough

No - that is wrong. If you claim any proficiency - be it basic or high - in French or English and it is NOT your native language then you need to submit appropriate test results.

Kaz x

Originally Posted by Hipster Contrarian
Could anybody clarify whether this is the case please? Thanks!
Old Aug 28th 2005, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Reghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to all

I got my ielts results today. L - 7.5, R - 8, W - 7, S - 8, So it would give me full 16 points. I had sent my application and but had not included the test results, as the test centre told me that they could send the results directly once the file number is available. I have not yet got my AOR even though the application reached London CHC on the 5th of Aug. I hope i will receive it soon.
Old Aug 28th 2005, 9:54 am
Pinko lentil-hugger

Hipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Kazphillips
No - that is wrong. If you claim any proficiency - be it basic or high - in French or English and it is NOT your native language then you need to submit appropriate test results.

Kaz x
Thanks very much for that!

Ok, sorry to ask yet more questions (I would start another thread but I'd probably be referred back here!), but I'm trying and failing to work out just how fluent you would have to be to qualify as Intermediate and Advanced respectively? (I've looked at the Alliance Francaise site and it's not at all clear.) I have A-level French (albeit a little rusty!)- would that be Intermediate? Obviously if I could qualify as Advanced that would be great as the more points the better, but is that way, way out of my league? I can't find any test papers to see what sort of standard they are looking for.

Secondly, I'm thinking of doing a French course before taking the test, just to brush up a bit. My boyfriend also wants to improve his French a bit as his is some way below mine, but we both expect to be able to achieve marks that would put us at an Intermediate level. The course will take some time, so are we allowed to submit our application claiming French skills at Intermediate level and then submit the test results a month or two later? (I think this is what Reghuraj above is doing, is that right?) Would this delay our application at all or is it quite common? With processing times being so long now, I want to get the application in asap, but not if it's going to be counter-productive.

Thanks again.
Old Aug 28th 2005, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Kazphillips will become famous soon enoughKazphillips will become famous soon enough

Hiya

I can't say whether your A-level French would mean you could attain intermediate or not. Only taking the test will tell you that. Personally I claimed moderate skills on the form and included a statement relating to my studies (to degree level) and use of French.

try http://www.fda.ccip.fr/default.asp?metaid=4 and you can see the scores needed for the different levels. It also has some example questions that are very useful.

If you are definitely planning to do the TEF you should invest in the TEF book - you can get it from Amazon for about £9 but be warned, it doesn't come with the tapes even though the book says they should be included!!

I'd recommend doing a course or something. I just sat a mock TEF exam today and need to do a bit more work! And I am taking the exam in a week and a half. Help!

So you see, I am doing the same as Reghuraj in that I have already submitted my PR application and am going to forward my TEF results. I asked Mr Miller about this a while back and he suggested that they would be accepted as long as they were received before Initial Assessment (which seems like it will be years off now!!).

Having said that since I claimed moderate skills I made sure I included a statement and evidence of my language skills - in case by some miracle they did asses our case before they got the results. I suggest you do the same - if you are claiming any level of French proficiency, it has to be backed up with evidence such as your exam certificates and a statement explaining how you use French etc. Otherwise I would worry that the Immigration Officer could take your application as incomplete.

Feel free to ask me any more questions about the TEF - either here or PM/email me.

Good luck

Kaz x
Originally Posted by Hipster Contrarian
Thanks very much for that!

Ok, sorry to ask yet more questions (I would start another thread but I'd probably be referred back here!), but I'm trying and failing to work out just how fluent you would have to be to qualify as Intermediate and Advanced respectively? (I've looked at the Alliance Francaise site and it's not at all clear.) I have A-level French (albeit a little rusty!)- would that be Intermediate? Obviously if I could qualify as Advanced that would be great as the more points the better, but is that way, way out of my league? I can't find any test papers to see what sort of standard they are looking for.

Secondly, I'm thinking of doing a French course before taking the test, just to brush up a bit. My boyfriend also wants to improve his French a bit as his is some way below mine, but we both expect to be able to achieve marks that would put us at an Intermediate level. The course will take some time, so are we allowed to submit our application claiming French skills at Intermediate level and then submit the test results a month or two later? (I think this is what Reghuraj above is doing, is that right?) Would this delay our application at all or is it quite common? With processing times being so long now, I want to get the application in asap, but not if it's going to be counter-productive.

Thanks again.