Word of advice - IELTS

Old Jul 26th 2005, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

bartM will become famous soon enough
Default Word of advice - IELTS

Well, I got my PR a couple of months ago and then I ordered CAIPS just to see how things went. It arrived today and let me tell you, I got mighty surprised at some stuff that CIC did. First of all, they only counted my Canadian experience towards the exp points (Ericsson in Sweden and NASA in USA not good enough for CIC, apparently). The worst thing, however, was that they granted me only 8 points for English. I submitted tons of evidence: the list of my publications, Cambridge Proficiency Certificate, letter from my employer and evidence I worked as a translator - all that crap and the officer assessed my language skills as moderate! I ended up with 78 points anyway (wheee!) but it was a close call at the IA.

So guys, let me reiterate what Andrew and others always say: if you're close to the cutoff, TAKE THE DAMN IELTS! Now in the retrospective I can say I should have taken it. Ignorance is a bliss sometimes...
Old Jul 26th 2005, 9:24 pm
Every day is a new day...

amancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Word of advice - IELTS

Originally Posted by bartM
Well, I got my PR a couple of months ago and then I ordered CAIPS just to see how things went. It arrived today and let me tell you, I got mighty surprised at some stuff that CIC did. First of all, they only counted my Canadian experience towards the exp points (Ericsson in Sweden and NASA in USA not good enough for CIC, apparently). The worst thing, however, was that they granted me only 8 points for English. I submitted tons of evidence: the list of my publications, Cambridge Proficiency Certificate, letter from my employer and evidence I worked as a translator - all that crap and the officer assessed my language skills as moderate! I ended up with 78 points anyway (wheee!) but it was a close call at the IA.

So guys, let me reiterate what Andrew and others always say: if you're close to the cutoff, TAKE THE DAMN IELTS! Now in the retrospective I can say I should have taken it. Ignorance is a bliss sometimes...
Rightful advice Bart!!
Old Jul 26th 2005, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of interest, are you a native English speaker? You seem to be, so how on earth did they mark you down?
Old Jul 26th 2005, 11:52 pm
Bound to happen!?!

himalayanwhistlekid has a brilliant futurehimalayanwhistlekid has a brilliant futurehimalayanwhistlekid has a brilliant futurehimalayanwhistlekid has a brilliant futurehimalayanwhistlekid has a brilliant futurehimalayanwhistlekid has a brilliant future
Question Re: Word of advice - IELTS

These Language tests.....
I am English and am not claiming proficiency in any other language, I only ticked basic French so I don't have to do the tests for English or French do I??
Old Jul 27th 2005, 12:06 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are English, born, raised and educated in UK then you should check high proficiency in English on the form and provide substitute evidence, not IELTS test.

Originally Posted by himalayanwhistlekid
These Language tests.....
I am English and am not claiming proficiency in any other language, I only ticked basic French so I don't have to do the tests for English or French do I??
Old Jul 27th 2005, 2:50 am
ABW
No driving taxi as 11/06

ABW is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Word of advice - IELTS

Ouch......Does it mean all these years I work in the states rendered useless/pointless??? :scared:

...I got mighty surprised at some stuff that CIC did. First of all, they only counted my Canadian experience towards the exp points (Ericsson in Sweden and NASA in USA not good enough for CIC, apparently). The worst thing, however, was that they granted me only 8 points for English...
Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

No, I'm not but I've been working professionally with English language for more than 10 years. It never really occurred to me that the evidence I had provided would not be enough for CIC so I skipped the IELTS. This resulted in the IA at 68 so I'm lucky not to have lost many months of waiting time.

Originally Posted by Posidrive
Just out of interest, are you a native English speaker? You seem to be, so how on earth did they mark you down?
Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

I hope not! I really don't know how they do this at CIC but I provided them with documents which they never verified and simply granted minimum experience points. I guess you should really make sure that CIC got all possible documents about your jobs in the US. Good luck, buddy!

Originally Posted by ABW
Ouch......Does it mean all these years I work in the states rendered useless/pointless??? :scared:
Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:56 am

Exactly. You can work quite efficiently and finish education in US or Canada with moderate English, so fact of working and studying there proves nothing about your proficiency in English above moderate level. If you want 16 points than IELTS with 7.0 or better in all 4 skills is a must.

Originally Posted by ABW
Old Jul 27th 2005, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

mirekj will become famous soon enoughmirekj will become famous soon enough

Hi Bart

Nice to see you here again !!!
It seems you are quite fluent in English (up to 16 points), but you got less points than me. I got 10 and I am really moderate user, but i took the IELTS and that's the key. In my opinion all proofs of english proficiency (except IELTS) are debatable, no 100% proof - just IELTS.

Mirek

Old Jul 27th 2005, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Canadaproject has a brilliant futureCanadaproject has a brilliant futureCanadaproject has a brilliant futureCanadaproject has a brilliant futureCanadaproject has a brilliant futureCanadaproject has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ABW
Without ielts score the visa processing officer can decide on his own what
level of english you know and give you points accordingly.

Well with ielts score he is has to use that score results instead of his discretion. So it secures yoru score.

so unless you belong to an english speaking country (grew up there )
it is better to take the test.

Lately buffalo is asking people to take tests instead of those subjective evidences
Old Jul 27th 2005, 5:29 pm
ABW
No driving taxi as 11/06

ABW is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Word of advice - IELTS

The original poster mentioned "I got mighty surprised at some stuff that CIC did. First of all, they only counted my Canadian experience towards the exp points (Ericsson in Sweden and NASA in USA not good enough for CIC, apparently)."

I am sorry I should clarify my question. I was panic reading the original poster.
My IELTS score is all above 7. So in theory, I should get 16 in the English proficiency. Nonetheless, my work experience should count on the Factor Three: Experience (Six Selection Factors and Pass Mark), shouldn't it?

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Exactly. You can work quite efficiently and finish education in US or Canada with moderate English, so fact of working and studying there proves nothing about your proficiency in English above moderate level. If you want 16 points than IELTS with 7.0 or better in all 4 skills is a must.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 6:00 pm

Not in theory - if you submitted IELTS with 7.0 or better in each skill then you will get 16 points, there is no dsicretion allowed when it comes to IELTS results.

Work experience will be counted if the following are met:

- conclusive and verifiable letters of reference stating at least period of employment, position, duties, salary and number of hours per week worked are submitted, including busness card of person signing it

- if the above is verified and/or documented in other acceptable form

- experience is in one or more of skilled occupations (NOC matrix skills level 0, A and B)

- experience is a paid one

Originally Posted by ABW
The original poster mentioned "I got mighty surprised at some stuff that CIC did. First of all, they only counted my Canadian experience towards the exp points (Ericsson in Sweden and NASA in USA not good enough for CIC, apparently)."

I am sorry I should clarify my question. I was panic reading the original poster.
My IELTS score is all above 7. So in theory, I should get 16 in the English proficiency. Nonetheless, my work experience should count on the Factor Three: Experience (Six Selection Factors and Pass Mark), shouldn't it?
Old Jul 27th 2005, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

Exactly what they got from me. Paid experience, letter of employment and business cards. While NASA thing was slightly less than a year, I worked at Ericsson for more than that (and I was not cleaning floors there). There is no mention of this job in my CAIPS and I know they never phoned my ex-boss. It really doesn't matter for me now, but it shows that CIC makes mistakes.

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Not in theory - if you submitted IELTS with 7.0 or better in each skill then you will get 16 points, there is no dsicretion allowed when it comes to IELTS results.

Work experience will be counted if the following are met:

- conclusive and verifiable letters of reference stating at least period of employment, position, duties, salary and number of hours per week worked are submitted, including busness card of person signing it

- if the above is verified and/or documented in other acceptable form

- experience is in one or more of skilled occupations (NOC matrix skills level 0, A and B)

- experience is a paid one
Old Jul 27th 2005, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Mirek,

Good thing you took IELTS, now I really recommend it for all my friends that want to get to Canada. How's your IA going?

Take care and powodzenia,

Bart

Originally Posted by mirekj
Hi Bart

Nice to see you here again !!!
It seems you are quite fluent in English (up to 16 points), but you got less points than me. I got 10 and I am really moderate user, but i took the IELTS and that's the key. In my opinion all proofs of english proficiency (except IELTS) are debatable, no 100% proof - just IELTS.

Mirek

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.