'wooden' houses?

Old Mar 23rd 2003, 1:23 am
  #1  
Splitman2000
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 'wooden' houses?

I notice that while landed properties in Canada are generally cheaper
than those in some land-scarce places such as Hong Kong and Singapore,
they tend to have timber beams, internal walls, floorings, etc,
whereas the latter ones tend to be concrete. Is this one of the
reasons why they cost less to build? Or is there other reasons why
they have to be built using timber, eg, climate? The finishing looks
nice, neat and smooth but the walls tend to be not sound-proof and you
can hear people walking upstairs - the planks creaks - or
showering/bathing in the toilet. Besides, it's easy to catch fire,
isn't it?
 
Old Mar 23rd 2003, 4:10 am
  #2  
S B
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 'wooden' houses?

splitman2000 wrote:
    >
    > I notice that while landed properties in Canada are generally cheaper
    > than those in some land-scarce places such as Hong Kong and Singapore,
    > they tend to have timber beams, internal walls, floorings, etc,
    > whereas the latter ones tend to be concrete. Is this one of the
    > reasons why they cost less to build? Or is there other reasons why
    > they have to be built using timber, eg, climate? The finishing looks
    > nice, neat and smooth but the walls tend to be not sound-proof and you
    > can hear people walking upstairs - the planks creaks - or
    > showering/bathing in the toilet. Besides, it's easy to catch fire,
    > isn't it?

The availability of materials is a big reason for using say wood vs
concrete or brick. A concrete or brick home is more expensive to build
in N. America than a wooden built home.

The advantage to a wood-framed wall is that you can get far more sound
and thermal insulation in the walls. A single 8" concrete wall has a
thermal resistance of R2, a typical wood frame 6" wall has a thermal
resistance of about R24 ... In other words about 12 times less heat
escapes through the wood frame wall than the concrete wall.

Depending on the specific methods of construction, yes sound is not
deadened by wood frame construction to the same extent as concrete or
brick, but a well built wood frame home should not be significantly more
noisy.

Wood frame homes are not particularly easy to catch fire. The wooden
walls are clad internally with gypsum plaster boards. These boards
provide significant fire resistance. Granted, when fire takes hold of a
wood frame home the results are generally more destruction, but not
always.
 
Old Mar 23rd 2003, 6:17 am
  #3  
Ototin
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 'wooden' houses?

On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 17:10:51 GMT, S B
wrote:

    >The advantage to a wood-framed wall is that you can get far more sound
    >and thermal insulation in the walls. A single 8" concrete wall has a
    >thermal resistance of R2, a typical wood frame 6" wall has a thermal
    >resistance of about R24 ... In other words about 12 times less heat
    >escapes through the wood frame wall than the concrete wall.

Not true. Your statements are only true if and only if there are
insulating materials installed in the wood frame wall.


-----------== Posted via Newsfeed.Com - Uncensored Usenet News ==----------
http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers =-----
 
Old Mar 23rd 2003, 6:27 am
  #4  
S B
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 'wooden' houses?

Ototin wrote:
    >
    > On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 17:10:51 GMT, S B
    > wrote:
    >
    > >The advantage to a wood-framed wall is that you can get far more sound
    > >and thermal insulation in the walls. A single 8" concrete wall has a
    > >thermal resistance of R2, a typical wood frame 6" wall has a thermal
    > >resistance of about R24 ... In other words about 12 times less heat
    > >escapes through the wood frame wall than the concrete wall.
    >
    > Not true. Your statements are only true if and only if there are
    > insulating materials installed in the wood frame wall.

No modern house will be built in Canada uninsulated.
 
Old Mar 26th 2003, 11:31 am
  #5  
Splitman2000
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 'wooden' houses?

Hey, that sounds rather counvinving. Thanks.
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.