Within or Outside Canada?

Old Dec 7th 2004, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

Jassy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Within or Outside Canada?

I would really appreciate your answers on my questions.
I was reading and it said that if I apply within Canada that person is able to work after AIP is received.
If we apply from outside Canada and within 2-3 months my spouse moves to Canada (AIP will be approved in the mean time) can he stay, apply for temp. SIN card, start working and wait for his PR or we need to change the application from within to outside.
If we do have to change it, does it cause problems?
Which is faster?
Also, can I note on my application that my husband is not here right now, but will be coming before he gets PR?
If he will be able to receive temporary SIN card to work, can he just go to Human Resources office and apply with AIP letter?
Thank you all in advance.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 12:08 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Within or Outside Canada?

Originally Posted by Jassy
I would really appreciate your answers on my questions.
I was reading and it said that if I apply within Canada that person is able to work after AIP is received.
If we apply from outside Canada and within 2-3 months my spouse moves to Canada (AIP will be approved in the mean time) can he stay, apply for temp. SIN card, start working and wait for his PR or we need to change the application from within to outside.
If we do have to change it, does it cause problems?
Which is faster?
Also, can I note on my application that my husband is not here right now, but will be coming before he gets PR?
If he will be able to receive temporary SIN card to work, can he just go to Human Resources office and apply with AIP letter?
Thank you all in advance.
You cannot apply inland for a spouse who is not present with legl status in Canada. Nor can he work in Canada while the application is in process, until the approval in principle stage. Even then there is often insufficient time to obtain a work permit before the PR comes through.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Jassy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Jim,
Thank you for answering on my questions. Now I have another questions that would like to ask you.
My husband is American and of course he can stay in Canada up to six months with no visa. If we wanted to apply within Canada, he would need to move here first. My question is when he comes to boarder and tells Canadians that he will stay longer then six months because we will be applying for his PR, would they give him visa there right away or he need to apply for one in Canadian Embassy in Detroit? If he does need to apply for one, would you know how long does it take to get it?
Can he just come to Canada and if six months comes up, can he just to back to States for a while and then come back again for six months or visa is required?

I would really appreciate if you can answer on my question. Even thought it seems like the best option would be if he stay in States until all papers are ready.
Your help is very much appreciated. Thank you.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 12:08 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jassy
Hello Jim,
Thank you for answering on my questions. Now I have another questions that would like to ask you.
My husband is American and of course he can stay in Canada up to six months with no visa. If we wanted to apply within Canada, he would need to move here first. My question is when he comes to boarder and tells Canadians that he will stay longer then six months because we will be applying for his PR, would they give him visa there right away or he need to apply for one in Canadian Embassy in Detroit? If he does need to apply for one, would you know how long does it take to get it?
Can he just come to Canada and if six months comes up, can he just to back to States for a while and then come back again for six months or visa is required?

I would really appreciate if you can answer on my question. Even thought it seems like the best option would be if he stay in States until all papers are ready.
Your help is very much appreciated. Thank you.
Your husband can come into Canada with the intent of being sponsored as your spouse. As his normal 6 month stay runs down he can apply for an extension if you choose the Inland Spouse Category. If you choose the overseas route he can still visit you as often as he likes.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

thermophile is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jim

I have a question along this line. I'm (USC sponsored by Canadian husband) driving to Canada within the week. We just submitted our application so I'm not expecting to get my landing papers till at least May. I'm giving up my apartment here but will have to come back to the states every 4-6 weeks between now and May.
At the border should I ask for some type of visa or should I just say that I'm being sponsored and I'll be in Canada till late January? Of course I won't lie, this question is more along the lines of how much info should I volunteer and how much should I just wait to be asked. Part of my confusion has to do with the fact that I've never needed any documentation from Canadian Immigration before to be in Canada, so I'm not sure what I would have to do if it takes longer than 6 months to get my PR.

thanks
Old Dec 8th 2004, 12:40 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by thermophile
Hi Jim

I have a question along this line. I'm (USC sponsored by Canadian husband) driving to Canada within the week. We just submitted our application so I'm not expecting to get my landing papers till at least May. I'm giving up my apartment here but will have to come back to the states every 4-6 weeks between now and May.
At the border should I ask for some type of visa or should I just say that I'm being sponsored and I'll be in Canada till late January? Of course I won't lie, this question is more along the lines of how much info should I volunteer and how much should I just wait to be asked. Part of my confusion has to do with the fact that I've never needed any documentation from Canadian Immigration before to be in Canada, so I'm not sure what I would have to do if it takes longer than 6 months to get my PR.

thanks
Just tell what you put in your question. That your spouse is sponsoring you through Buffalo. Since you will be leaving Canada, every so often, they probably won't issue a document since it expires when you leave.

PMM