Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Wiring money in preparation for moving

Wikiposts

Wiring money in preparation for moving

Old Feb 12th 2010, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

pancakemeow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wiring money in preparation for moving

Hi all,
I have wired my funds to my Canadian bank account which I opened in preparation for my move. Do I need to inform Canada immigration in toronto (where i will be landing) in advance that I have done this? if so, how do I do this? I know if you are bringing over 10,000 in cash you have to declare it at the border but i'm not sure of the policies if you do it in advance through the banks?

Thanks a million
Old Feb 12th 2010, 2:27 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wiring money in preparation for moving

Originally Posted by pancakemeow
Hi all,
I have wired my funds to my Canadian bank account which I opened in preparation for my move. Do I need to inform Canada immigration in toronto (where i will be landing) in advance that I have done this? if so, how do I do this? I know if you are bringing over 10,000 in cash you have to declare it at the border but i'm not sure of the policies if you do it in advance through the banks?

Thanks a million
The reporting for $10+k cash is part of the anti money laundering initiatives. Electronic transfers are automatically reported/ tracked, so you dont need to do anything.

Just have a print out of your canadian bank statement showing the funds available as proof of funds when landing. They may not even check it anyway.

Enjoy Canada eh!