Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Will we have to leave the country for PR purposes?

Will we have to leave the country for PR purposes?

Old Oct 8th 2004, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

Siona is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will we have to leave the country for PR purposes?

I am sponsoring my husband; we are both in Canada (he is here on a visitor visa). For some reason his PR application was sent to Buffalo rather than staying in Canada. We have recently received his IA and what I would like to know is this: Once he receives his PR papers, will we have to leave the country and re-enter or will we be able to simply go to a visa office in our city? I can’t figure it out from the CIC page since his application is being processed outside of the country but CIC seems to be following the same process as if the application had been in Canada (except it’s taking longer than if it would have stayed in Canada).
Old Oct 8th 2004, 2:03 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will we have to leave the country for PR purposes?

Originally Posted by Siona
I am sponsoring my husband; we are both in Canada (he is here on a visitor visa). For some reason his PR application was sent to Buffalo rather than staying in Canada. We have recently received his IA and what I would like to know is this: Once he receives his PR papers, will we have to leave the country and re-enter or will we be able to simply go to a visa office in our city? I can’t figure it out from the CIC page since his application is being processed outside of the country but CIC seems to be following the same process as if the application had been in Canada (except it’s taking longer than if it would have stayed in Canada).
Since the application is being handled by Buufalo you will have to leave Canada and return for the landing. It is relatively easy because you just go to the nearest border point, leave Canada, and then take the "Return to Canada" lane to re-enter. You then report to the Canadian Border post for processing of the landing.
Old Oct 8th 2004, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

Siona is an unknown quantity at this point

Even though my husband has been living in Canada on a visitor's permit, do we have to declare the items he originally brought into the country with him? Will I have to show that I have sufficient funds in the bank? Any suggestions for things we will need to prepare would be great. I'm trying to get a jump start on this to make the process smooth and quick.
Old Oct 8th 2004, 6:53 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Siona

Originally Posted by Siona
Even though my husband has been living in Canada on a visitor's permit, do we have to declare the items he originally brought into the country with him? Will I have to show that I have sufficient funds in the bank? Any suggestions for things we will need to prepare would be great. I'm trying to get a jump start on this to make the process smooth and quick.
You should complete a goods accompany list and a goods to follow list (if your spouse has goods that he intends to import at a later date. The goods accompanying list should contain the items that he has already brought to Canada. Customs may not care, but you might as well be on the safe side. As it is a spousal application, you don't have to have proof of settlement funds.

PMM