Will my immigration plan work?

Old Feb 6th 2010, 7:21 am
Just Joined

oh_to_be_an_ontarian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will my immigration plan work?

Hello All,

This is my first post, so here goes. First, the facts: my wife, two boys and I are three years into our application for permanent residency in Canada. We want to 'just pick up sticks and go' to Ontario... you can only put your life on hold for so long.

Here is the plan: we go in early May with return tickets, and sufficient funds in-country to support ourselves for some while. We (very quickly, because we are not rich) find affordable short term accommodation in London, Windsor, Kitchener or some such place where there is somewhat of an IT industry. I get a job offer as an Application Developer, which does not require a LMO. We then use this as a path to getting permanent residency.

Questions - is it hard to find short term accommodation there, at that time of the year? Will there be issues with lack of references, credit history, having children, short term lease etc?

I am confused as to what I do with the job offer. Sounds stupid, but hear me out. Do I apply for a temporary work permit? OK, but isn't it the case that you have to 'satisfy a visa officer that you will leave Canada after your work permit expires'? Do people manage to do this, three years into an application for permanent residency?

Finally, will the immigration department laugh us out of the country if we arrive with children in tow and return tickets dated many months in the future?

Thank you for any advice.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

cathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nice
Default Re: Will my immigration plan work?

Originally Posted by oh_to_be_an_ontarian
Hello All,

This is my first post, so here goes. First, the facts: my wife, two boys and I are three years into our application for permanent residency in Canada. We want to 'just pick up sticks and go' to Ontario... you can only put your life on hold for so long.

Here is the plan: we go in early May with return tickets, and sufficient funds in-country to support ourselves for some while. We (very quickly, because we are not rich) find affordable short term accommodation in London, Windsor, Kitchener or some such place where there is somewhat of an IT industry. I get a job offer as an Application Developer, which does not require a LMO. We then use this as a path to getting permanent residency.

Questions - is it hard to find short term accommodation there, at that time of the year? Will there be issues with lack of references, credit history, having children, short term lease etc?

I am confused as to what I do with the job offer. Sounds stupid, but hear me out. Do I apply for a temporary work permit? OK, but isn't it the case that you have to 'satisfy a visa officer that you will leave Canada after your work permit expires'? Do people manage to do this, three years into an application for permanent residency?

Finally, will the immigration department laugh us out of the country if we arrive with children in tow and return tickets dated many months in the future?

I know nothing, really - and I'm not sure under what terms you're applying for PR? Doesn't it have to be family or job related, or provincial nominee or something? I've looked into the possibility of emigrating to Canada myself, so that's why I'm wondering.

Three years sounds like a long time... what stage are you at in the process? What's the timeline for Canada? I'm thinking if you are already a fair bit along in the process, isn't it worth waiting it out before putting everything on the line and moving?

Have been to London, ON... they have a balloon festival every year. Was interested to see the River Thames going through London. lol. As far as your plans... I'd have thought somewhere like Sarnia would be a good option, also.

Anyway - I think the folks on here would appreciate a bit more info about your circumstances to be able to help you more specifically.

Good luck.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you try to get a job before you go so that you don't risk being turned away at immigration and you avoid the panic and urgency of getting work. You could use you planned trip as a job hunting recce and return to the UK.

This would be a much lower risk approach. You could then go on a TWP until your PR comes through.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 12:17 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Hello All,

Is it even possible to get a job in Canada as a non resident/citizen without an LMO?
Old Feb 6th 2010, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold

If you applied under the old FSW Scheme, and are already 3 years into the application, then surely it would be better to wait until it finalises as you could well be nearing the end.

Good luck either way.

Mel.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 1:59 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

With regards to obtaining a temporary work permit, you may want to read this:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/special-tech.asp

Working temporarily in Canada: Special categories—Information technology workers

To fill critical shortages in Canada’s software industry, Canada has a simplified entry process for workers whose skills are in high demand in that industry.

Under this process, no confirmation letter from Human Resources and Social Development Canada (HRSDC) is necessary for specific jobs when hiring a foreign worker, since it will not have a negative impact on Canadian or permanent-resident job seekers and workers.

This means that if you are coming to Canada to work in one of the jobs listed below, you do not need a letter from HRSDC, and your work permit application may be processed more quickly.

Note: It is up to your employer to make sure the job you are being offered falls under one of these descriptions.

Senior Animation Effects Editor (NOC 9990.1)
Embedded Systems Software Designer (NOC 9990.2)
MIS Software Designer (NOC 9990.3)
Multimedia Software Developer (NOC 9990.4)
Software Developer—Services (NOC 9990.5)
Software Products Developer (NOC 9990.6)
Telecommunications Software Designer (NOC 9990.7)

Old Feb 6th 2010, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cathy22w
Anyway - I think the folks on here would appreciate a bit more info about your circumstances to be able to help you more specifically.
Well, we applied under the old scheme. I work as an IT contractor which helped with getting the required number of points. That should also let me get a TWP without a labour market opinion as Siouxie points out.

Our situation is that we are in New Zealand and unable to enter the housing market -- far too expensive. We had decided to sit tight, and keep renting until we could move to Canada. We have been told our application will start being processed in April/May of this year. I suspect that will take many months. Then we will get a letter saying either 'sorry, application denied', or 'OK, go get medicals'. So that does not seem so long.

But, we have just been notified that our landlord is selling the house we rent. This is the second time we have had this happen to us. Our 'big' boy is three and he has lived in three flats. So we have to move house anyway. But for how long? Do we get another flat and be stuck here, life on hold, for another 12 months? Do we move in with parents for..... who knows how long? But if we go now (arrive in May), then we go from a NZ summer to a Canadian summer.

I personally don't have a lot of faith in our PR application progressing in months, I suspect it may be years. Meanwhile, we want to have another child. Logistically it is a lot better to do that in Canada. Two little children on a plane we can manage, three we cannot.

So it is a big move. Without being overly negative, my Wife and I feel that life here in NZ is somewhat..... unfair. And we don't want to play that game ourselves, let alone force it on our children.

Thanks
Old Feb 6th 2010, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Jo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud of

Well, we applied under the old scheme. I work as an IT contractor which helped with getting the required number of points. That should also let me get a TWP without a labour market opinion as Siouxie points out.

Our situation is that we are in New Zealand and unable to enter the housing market -- far too expensive. We had decided to sit tight, and keep renting until we could move to Canada. We have been told our application will start being processed in April/May of this year. I suspect that will take many months. Then we will get a letter saying either 'sorry, application denied', or 'OK, go get medicals'. So that does not seem so long.

But, we have just been notified that our landlord is selling the house we rent. This is the second time we have had this happen to us. Our 'big' boy is three and he has lived in three flats. So we have to move house anyway. But for how long? Do we get another flat and be stuck here, life on hold, for another 12 months? Do we move in with parents for..... who knows how long? But if we go now (arrive in May), then we go from a NZ summer to a Canadian summer.

I personally don't have a lot of faith in our PR application progressing in months, I suspect it may be years. Meanwhile, we want to have another child. Logistically it is a lot better to do that in Canada. Two little children on a plane we can manage, three we cannot.

So it is a big move. Without being overly negative, my Wife and I feel that life here in NZ is somewhat..... unfair. And we don't want to play that game ourselves, let alone force it on our children.

Thanks
Just a question, why would you even be considering another child if you do not have a home yet ? you have already mentioned how disruptive this has been to your oldest child !!
Old Feb 6th 2010, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all

have you been to Canada before?
Old Feb 6th 2010, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jo.Ru_onway
Just a question, why would you even be considering another child if you do not have a home yet ? you have already mentioned how disruptive this has been to your oldest child !!
Well, we are not getting any younger. If we want a third child, we choose to make it soon. We choose to make it in a country that has affordable housing. That is not New Zealand. Immigration will be disruptive, that cannot be avoided. We are choosing to look at the big picture of what is best for our family.

Thanks
Old Feb 6th 2010, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MR79
have you been to Canada before?
Never. My wife has been there briefly, and, long story short, has lived a 'North American' lifestyle (don't ask ).

But the attractions for me are -
1) Housing is superior and half the price compared to NZ
2) Murder aside, crime is only 2/3rds of the levels here in NZ
3) There is a bigger job market, especially in my little niche.

All that adds up to a much better lifestyle for our family.

Thanks

P.S: how do I know Canadian housing is superior to NZ housing? Because it is NZ housing! Just Google 'New Zealand leaky homes'
Old Feb 6th 2010, 11:12 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Never. My wife has been there briefly, and, long story short, has lived a 'North American' lifestyle (don't ask ).
Good luck
Old Feb 7th 2010, 1:02 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

P.S: how do I know Canadian housing is superior to NZ housing? Because it is NZ housing! Just Google 'New Zealand leaky homes'
or 'Vancouver Leaky condos' Looking at NZ real estate prices in Auckland, they look a bargain compared to many Canadian cities. What are you expecting to pay for real estate here? Many Canadian homes are wood frame with fiberglass shingle roof, back east has more brick built, very few out west.

Last edited by Aviator; Feb 7th 2010 at 1:14 am.
Old Feb 7th 2010, 1:11 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
or 'Vancouver Leaky condos' Looking at NZ real estate prices in Auckland, they look a bargain compared to many Canadian cities. What are you expecting to pay for real estate here? Many Canadian homes are wood frame with fiberglass shingle roof, east coast has more brick built, very few out west.
I doubt that. A brick house in The Maritimes is quite unusual. Lots of them in P.Q. and Ontario. I'd say that there are about the same on each coast.
Old Feb 7th 2010, 1:13 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
I doubt that. A brick house in The Maritimes is quite unusual. Lots of them in P.Q. and Ontario. I'd say that there are about the same on each coast.
OK central and so amended. I was referring more to ON, anywhere past MB is back east, which is where the OP seems to be headed. I have never really gone much beyond Pearson on the ground.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.