Will employer hold my passport

Old Mar 16th 2008, 8:43 am
Just Joined

binoy181824 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will employer hold my passport

I am planning to land in Canada on 20th April 2008 with work visa. My work visa stamped on my passport on dated 11 February 2008.

On March 1st, I got 90 days letter from CHC for Medical,PCC and Landing fees for PR visa. All procedure completed and send to CHC and waiting for PPR. I wish to submit my Passport for PR visa stamping after my arrival in Canada.

I would like to know, when I applying for SIN shall I need to submit my original passport also with my SIN application. Can I have right to keep my passport with me in Canada? OR I need to give it to my Employer in Canada? It will be difficult if my employer will keep my passport upon my arrival in Canada as worker.

I don't know when PPR will come, and whenever it comes, I should sent it to CHC from Canada. Also afraid if my employer will know that I am going to get PR visa will they make any problem for my PR visa? Can they do anything like that?
Old Mar 16th 2008, 9:14 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will employer hold my passport

Your employer has no reason to ever see your passport, and if they ask for it don't give it to them. To get your SIN go to a local Services Canada office and get it, you'll get it there and then in about 5 minutes and you'll just have to show them your passport for ID purposes. No one will ever try and take your passport and if they try, leave and report them.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
Your employer has no reason to ever see your passport, and if they ask for it don't give it to them. To get your SIN go to a local Services Canada office and get it, you'll get it there and then in about 5 minutes and you'll just have to show them your passport for ID purposes. No one will ever try and take your passport and if they try, leave and report them.
Quite so. I know someone in the UK whose employment practices were disturbing. She used to keep her staff's passports in her safe. She was found out when one of them was arrested and the police wanted to see the passport. As you can imagine the sh*t hit the fan.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 10:24 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

In general the employer doesn't hold the passport but what about the slave labour camps in the north of Alberta? Isn't it the case that the oil companies fly in large numbers of Asians to work there and hold their documents so as to be easily able to remove them before they can claim any sort or rights as employees/residents?
Old Mar 16th 2008, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
In general the employer doesn't hold the passport but what about the slave labour camps in the north of Alberta? Isn't it the case that the oil companies fly in large numbers of Asians to work there and hold their documents so as to be easily able to remove them before they can claim any sort or rights as employees/residents?
Really?? Thats disgraceful. Sounds like a big business version of my exfriends HR style.

Tell us more please
Old Mar 16th 2008, 1:26 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I know it is a common problem for brits (and presumably another nationalities) working in the middle east. There I believe it is common for employers to attempt to retain your passport. Usually it works because people are ignorant and just hand them over.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 1:46 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Technically it's actually illegal for an immigration officer to take your passport out of your sight, as it is a legal document of Her Majesty's Government of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland signed into your possession for use as a personal travel document to show a formalised request that Her Majesty's Government wishes you to travel freely and with any assistance that can be provided. Though I don't recommend you try that one with an Immigration officer.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 2:14 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
Technically it's actually illegal for an immigration officer to take your passport out of your sight, as it is a legal document of Her Majesty's Government of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland signed into your possession for use as a personal travel document to show a formalised request that Her Majesty's Government wishes you to travel freely and with any assistance that can be provided. Though I don't recommend you try that one with an Immigration officer.
The standing advice given to British citizens (from the Foreign Office) is that while hotels, etc sometimes do hold on to passports for legitimate reasons, if someone tries to confiscate your passport you should contact the nearest British diplomatic mission as a matter of urgency.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 2:23 pm
rolling uphill

edsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud of

And the reason for which no-one except the issuing government is allowed to take your passport from you is that it doesn't belong to you, but to the issuing government. At least in the British, Irish and Canadian cases.

Last edited by edsask; Mar 16th 2008 at 2:25 pm. Reason: Grammar needed cleaning up
Old Mar 16th 2008, 2:43 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

All true , but Ben asked me very nicely not to point this out at the Canadian high commission when they wanted to keep ours for two weeks to put the visas in
Old Mar 16th 2008, 2:55 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by edsask
And the reason for which no-one except the issuing government is allowed to take your passport from you is that it doesn't belong to you, but to the issuing government. At least in the British, Irish and Canadian cases.
That is a general principle of international law.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 6:31 pm
Lily

Yalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
I know it is a common problem for brits (and presumably another nationalities) working in the middle east. There I believe it is common for employers to attempt to retain your passport. Usually it works because people are ignorant and just hand them over.
Someone here mentioned how many employers in the middle east hold the employees passports and that the employee gives the passport up because they are ignorants... well let me tell you...
I have worked in the UAE for the last 5 years and I think I've been lucky to have worked with people who did not asked to hold my passport... but it is a common practice and it is supported by the government as they do not do anything to stop it! when I first heard of it I was shocked! I can't imagine not being able to come and go in the case of an emergency or for whatever reason... but it is not a case of ignorance it is more a case of ... that is what is done, especially for low income people (which is the most)...
Old Mar 19th 2008, 7:50 pm
Moose Jaw's Ambassador

roanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dbd33
Sounds like a load of cods to me!