Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Will election damage / change applications pending?

Wikiposts

Will election damage / change applications pending?

Old Dec 26th 2005, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Will election damage / change applications pending?

With the elections comming up it got me thinking, if the conservatives got in (I hope to hell and back they dont) could they just up and change IRPA and make it retroactive like the liberals did back in 2001? and would it affect our cases pending?

Just a query? what are your thoughts on this?
Old Dec 26th 2005, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will election damage / change applications pending?

Originally Posted by britishvixen21
With the elections comming up it got me thinking, if the conservatives got in (I hope to hell and back they dont) could they just up and change IRPA and make it retroactive like the liberals did back in 2001? and would it affect our cases pending?

Just a query? what are your thoughts on this?
happy christmas to you
not sure what IRPA is but my consultant says that any points change would unlikely to be retroactive as the CIC was taken to court a couple of years ago and the judge ruled they had assessed incorrectly when the rules changed in 2002. Now i know this is contrary to andrew miller's opinion about any points change but I have every faith in my consultants opinion.
She is also pretty confident that the wait times that the CHC are giving are over estimates as they have a group of new staff doing the work and they will get faster as they are more experienced.

so really its not worth worrying about what we cant control, as long as we've done the maximum we can to get points, then sit back and be zen about it!
Old Dec 26th 2005, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

smitp11 will become famous soon enoughsmitp11 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by batty-x-ray
happy christmas to you
not sure what IRPA is but my consultant says that any points change would unlikely to be retroactive as the CIC was taken to court a couple of years ago and the judge ruled they had assessed incorrectly when the rules changed in 2002. Now i know this is contrary to andrew miller's opinion about any points change but I have every faith in my consultants opinion.
She is also pretty confident that the wait times that the CHC are giving are over estimates as they have a group of new staff doing the work and they will get faster as they are more experienced.

so really its not worth worrying about what we cant control, as long as we've done the maximum we can to get points, then sit back and be zen about it!
Hi B-X,

Did your consultant tell the staffing levels had increased ? If so, was she taking generally or specifically about your application post, I assume you apllied to London ? TIA
Old Dec 26th 2005, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smitp11
Hi B-X,

Did your consultant tell the staffing levels had increased ? If so, was she taking generally or specifically about your application post, I assume you apllied to London ? TIA
hi - it was/is london, and no extra staff just the old guard have left and new have replaced them
Old Dec 26th 2005, 5:13 am
Can I go now!?

OzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really nice

Originally Posted by batty-x-ray
happy christmas to you

I agree with you that any points increase may not be applied retrospectively but I do have a couple points to make. If they don't apply a change retrospectively it would have nothing to do with the settlement of the pre-2002 cases. I think that they are unlikely to apply a change retrospectively as doing otherwise would dent the confidence of prospective immigrants. I know that the system does not have to be fair but if you want to attract people rocking their confidence is not a good way to go. Keep in mind that they has every legal right to apply a change retrospectively.

As to the OPs question, no one can answer this for you. I think that if there was a change in government there will be other issues that the new government will what to clear up before they go anywhere near immigration. Furthermore, if they see it as a way of gaining some votes from a certain sector then the most likely time to make any such changes would be towards the end of their term.
Old Dec 26th 2005, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzRob
I agree with you that any points increase may not be applied retrospectively but I do have a couple points to make. If they don't apply a change retrospectively it would have nothing to do with the settlement of the pre-2002 cases. I think that they are unlikely to apply a change retrospectively as doing otherwise would dent the confidence of prospective immigrants. I know that the system does not have to be fair but if you want to attract people rocking their confidence is not a good way to go. Keep in mind that they has every legal right to apply a change retrospectively.

As to the OPs question, no one can answer this for you. I think that if there was a change in government there will be other issues that the new government will what to clear up before they go anywhere near immigration. Furthermore, if they see it as a way of gaining some votes from a certain sector then the most likely time to make any such changes would be towards the end of their term.

Thanks for everyones input was an interesting subject that I wanted some thoughts on, I wasnt looking for a specific answer it was more of a debate an open question as to whether anyone had thought about it. I know that the conservatives will try to stop the legalisation of Gay Marriage and they are very strong on other issues, so it just got me a thinking.
Old Dec 26th 2005, 2:13 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britishvixen21
Thanks for everyones input was an interesting subject that I wanted some thoughts on, I wasnt looking for a specific answer it was more of a debate an open question as to whether anyone had thought about it. I know that the conservatives will try to stop the legalisation of Gay Marriage and they are very strong on other issues, so it just got me a thinking.
Such is the gamut of opinions regarding Canadian immigration it makes the head spin. Peeps still in the UK going through the process have a view (rightfully so, their opinion is what it is), then you see the situation here.

I recently saw a guy talking about skills, training, and immigration - state that 70% of skilled jobs go to immigrants. Yeah, right. Bizarre. And that 30% of high school kids drop out with nil quals and yet that 80% of parents want their kids to go to University.

So basically the (whatever) government has so much to do in so many areas but yet people here in Canada who are/should be authorities on subjects quite frankly talk out of their asses.

I often think that Brits going through PR have more idea of the solutions than most of the ski lift 'experts'

Rich.