Will Canada still let me in?

Old Nov 3rd 2008, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

neilo71 has a brilliant futureneilo71 has a brilliant futureneilo71 has a brilliant futureneilo71 has a brilliant futureneilo71 has a brilliant futureneilo71 has a brilliant futureneilo71 has a brilliant future
Default Will Canada still let me in?

PR application in, outland spouse visa..
I had criminal conviction in Canada 1999-2000 DUI under holiday work visa,
PR application we are putting in pardon application as well, just got information from the court house stating that the $600 fine was unpaid?
7 years ago and i don't have any proof of payment as i throw everything away a few years ago, not thinking that i would every return to canada never mind fall for a canadian girl and get married

Do you think immigration will grant my visa or knock me back because of this
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

Paratrooper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Will Canada still let me in?

Unless you have proof that you paid the fine, I guess some cynical person might consider that you decided not to pay the fine as you never considered that one day you would want to emigrate. Obviously, nobody on this site would question your integrity.

You should however, reconsider marrying your Canadian partner just in case the immigration authorities employ cynics.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

neilo71 has a brilliant futureneilo71 has a brilliant futureneilo71 has a brilliant futureneilo71 has a brilliant futureneilo71 has a brilliant futureneilo71 has a brilliant futureneilo71 has a brilliant future

Well aren't you just full of hope!!!!
Bit late on the marrying thing already done in May....
Thanks for the lost cause advice.....
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Drunk drivers get their just desserts,,,,you wont get any pity from me if they refuse:curse:
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

Paratrooper is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry for sounding negative mate, but a lot of the advice given on this forum in situations such as this, are just polite diatribes. I sincerley hope that things work out for the best for you, but your situation does not sound good.

Criminal courts keep scrupulous records and if they say you did not pay, then you can be pretty sure that a Canadian immigration officer will accept their version of events. Regardless of whether you paid or not, the situation is that the courts have levied a fine against you for D.U.I. and you falied to pay.

In the first instance you should pay off the fine and try to reclaim back any monies if you are able to prove prior payment. Subsequent to that, you have a D.U.I. to deal with.

It sounds like you need professional input.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 8:06 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Neilo71, I'm not an immigration expert, and I don't know for sure whether or not your PR application will be refused because of the allegedly unpaid fine.

If I was to guess, I would say that, in the long run, you will be accepted. But, if I was to guess further, I would say that you would be in for a certain amount of hassle in the interim.

I believe it's essential for you to get this supposed unpaid fine sorted out. I don't know what it'll take to do that. If push comes to shove, I think it would be prudent to just pay the $600, if that will get them off your back.

If you don't get that resolved, it will plague you for the rest of your married life. For example, as things stand now, you wouldn't even be able to visit Canada with your wife to see your in laws.

Only when you have resolved the matter of the reputedly unpaid fine can your PR application progress.

The immigration experts on the forum state that, no matter how frustrated you feel inside, you must demonstrate utmost patience when you're dealing with Canadian immigration officials (and, in my experience, any immigration officials). Do not show even a hint of defensiveness. Answer their questions, and be polite towards them.

All the best with your quest.

Oops, I've just seen that Paratrooper has said essentially the same thing. Oh well, what the heck, after I've invested in all this typing, I'll just let it stand.
x
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

There are far to many people on this site who do nothing but put people down or generally have nothing else to do put wait for people in this situation and condem them for everything they are worth.

I know DUI is serious charge and believe me i'm not looking for sympathy or any kind of reminders that 7 years ago i was an idiot....

I'm looking for advice on a subject that perhaps maybe someone has been through..

Professional advice is here as we have a immigration lawyer, and everyone was told about it, we openly admitted it on my application form, i have been very open about it, and yes i'm ashamed of it, but don't need reminded about it by people who just want to pick pick...
Unless you know anything about the actual case then shut up i say....
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 8:22 am
Just Joined

Crystal Tips is just really niceCrystal Tips is just really niceCrystal Tips is just really niceCrystal Tips is just really niceCrystal Tips is just really niceCrystal Tips is just really niceCrystal Tips is just really niceCrystal Tips is just really niceCrystal Tips is just really nice

Originally Posted by neilo71
Unless you know anything about the actual case then shut up i say....
Why ask for advice on the Canada immigration forum then
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

Judy thankyou for those kind word.....As for never going to canada to see the in-laws i have been over about 8 times in the last two years as my wife is back living in Canada,
I'm sure it will get sorted out and if i get the interview call i will be polite and answer all the questions put to me.

I have so far re-instated my canadian driving licence, gone for a one day rehab course for my offence...So it is not like i have not made an effort or been hiding under a stone since it happened..

Again i thankyou for the words....
Sorry about last posting must have been half-way through typing when u posted.....
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

neilo
I do empasthise as we have been throught this exact trauma ourselves

husband had a DUI over 10 yeasrs ago and although stressful in the extreme getting it sorted with CIC it is now thankfully all sorted and will not effect our PR application even though like you husband has been in canada and lived in canada since the offence.

now if you had been naughty in the UK i could have given you tons of info and pointers as we had to be very imaginative( not dishonst in anyway but simply imaginative)

as your offence was actuially in canada then different rules apply and you have to get an actual canadian pardon i understand

as others have said get your fine paid asap though

for uk offences YES !!! the uk rehab of offenders act does apply despite the so called experts on here saying it dosent

however you still have to go throught the rehab process and wait for CIC to give you a letter saying no need for rehab blah blah blah

huge luck to you both
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chumley
neilo
I do empasthise as we have been throught this exact trauma ourselves

husband had a DUI over 10 yeasrs ago and although stressful in the extreme getting it sorted with CIC it is now thankfully all sorted and will not effect our PR application even though like you husband has been in canada and lived in canada since the offence.

now if you had been naughty in the UK i could have given you tons of info and pointers as we had to be very imaginative( not dishonst in anyway but simply imaginative)

as your offence was actuially in canada then different rules apply and you have to get an actual canadian pardon i understand

as others have said get your fine paid asap though

for uk offences YES !!! the uk rehab of offenders act does apply despite the so called experts on here saying it dosent

however you still have to go throught the rehab process and wait for CIC to give you a letter saying no need for rehab blah blah blah

huge luck to you both
Many thanks and much love for a decent answer at last....
I'm sure we will get it all sorted out...

Peace
Old Nov 4th 2008, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Whupti woo.. you did 1 day of rehab,,
Ive done 6months of rehab and have a further 6 months to do,,,for the injuries incurred by a drunk driver:curse: so i reakon ive got evry right to post my comments and remind you of ya crime

Last edited by Gremmie; Nov 4th 2008 at 12:58 am.