Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Wife's 1 Year NVQ Level 3 - Can I claim 3 points for adaptability?

Wife's 1 Year NVQ Level 3 - Can I claim 3 points for adaptability?

Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Wife's 1 Year NVQ Level 3 - Can I claim 3 points for adaptability?

lol eralta - I assume you intend to let (all the other immigration officers working at) cic know that they aren't allowed to give points for nvqs now then?

'tis no skin off my nose - don't have any nvqs (and don't want any lol) but quite a few folk in these parts have had them counted, particularly those with non-standard (what would be equivalent to 'high school') education - ie those who do not have 'A' levels, but gcses or the oldies with 'O' levels... So, most CIC staff seem to be accepting them as 'time served' to bump up your total years of education, at the very least. (albeit with the pt/ft equivalence scenario) NVQ 3 a perennial topic of interest with regard to the diploma question though... It would be exceedingly good value if some clarity regarding this could be added to the notes for completing application forms?

You might be an interesting addition to the forum if you are a case officer though (muses idly...) (rubs hands gleefully) I can't wait to see you advising on other favourite topics of discussion... your subtle ways of putting forward your opinion would simplify an awful lot of people's applications lol.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

Maybe it is me, but I wouldn't count any NVQ as a diploma or put it towards my points assessment if I was calculating how many I had - to be on the safe side. I know that they are not really recognised in some industries in Canada when you look at jobs there. It is hard enough to try to get the HNC/HND recognised. Maybe the new iniative of overseas recognition will address that --over the next decade !!

JET
Old Jan 8th 2010, 7:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eralta
Canadian working in immigration here, deal with these queries all the time. Tripped over this forum by accident and wow! I mean holy dispersal of misinformation Batman! I'm guessing that a bunch of you completed your studies at the University of What Some Bloke In the Pub Told Me... Anyways, enough with the assumptions:

NVQ is a professional knowledge testing system and NOT a formal course of study so it does NOT count for points under Skilled Worker rules.

BTECs and City and Guilds certificates, on the other hand, ARE formal courses of study and/or apprenticeship and CAN qualify for education points.

Clear?
I have to say, this post is the biggest bit of 'misinformation' out there!

NVQ's are recognised as diplomas, and do qualify. They are also a formal course of study - I did mine at a college in Oxford, full-time study in a classroom for a year, not sure how you can say that's not a 'formal course of study'!

I'd love to know exactly how you 'work in immigration'. Because all of our regular experts (CSIC immigration consultants) would beg to differ with you opinion.

And I've personally seen numerous applications go through with points being given for NVQ's. I would suggest people take your post with a pinch of salt, and do their own research. A simple search of the forums for previous threads should give them the answer they need.