Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Wife's 1 Year NVQ Level 3 - Can I claim 3 points for adaptability?

Wife's 1 Year NVQ Level 3 - Can I claim 3 points for adaptability?

Old Nov 18th 2009, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold
Default Wife's 1 Year NVQ Level 3 - Can I claim 3 points for adaptability?

I'm almost ready to get our documents sent off. I'm pretty sure we have 67 points with my degree, 10 years of experience at the right skill level etc. etc.

But, I think I can see an opportunity for a further 3 points to make it to 70.

My wife has done a NVQ Level 3 in Childcare Learning and Development. She did this over a year of home study with regular visits by a tutor from a college. It was a vocational work-based qualification, so during her work as a child minder she was basically gathering evidence for the course and studying for it. Her tutor tells her that the course is typically done over 2 years or more, but as she made good progress she completed it in a year.

We have the certificate for this course. Can we claim it for 3 points:

"A one-year diploma, trade certificate, apprenticeship or university degree, and at least 12 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies: 3 points"

?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLIsh/immigra...aptability.asp

She has 12 years of full-time education in England (7 Years primary, 5 secondary).

Other than the certificate, what evidence could we use to prove that it was done as full-time equivalent?
Old Nov 18th 2009, 7:44 pm
Living life again!!!!!!!

Falcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wife's 1 Year NVQ Level 3 - Can I claim 3 points for adaptability?

Maybe if you could get a letter from her tutor to state it would have been 2 years but she finished early! About the only suggestion I can think of i'm afraid
Old Nov 18th 2009, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Falcore
Maybe if you could get a letter from her tutor to state it would have been 2 years but she finished early! About the only suggestion I can think of i'm afraid
I don't need to claim it was two years. For three points it states 'a one year diploma,...etc' . Although having said that, there is no where on the certificate where it states how long it took. So I suppose they have to go with that grading system they use for qualifications...
Old Nov 19th 2009, 12:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bodgerx
I don't need to claim it was two years. For three points it states 'a one year diploma,...etc' . Although having said that, there is no where on the certificate where it states how long it took. So I suppose they have to go with that grading system they use for qualifications...
Could you not include it anyway, they can only say no ?
Old Nov 19th 2009, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
Could you not include it anyway, they can only say no ?
This is true. I'd just rather not hold the process up if they are going to start asking for further details.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 9:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

This is true. I'd just rather not hold the process up if they are going to start asking for further details.
Know what you mean, let us know what you decide
Old Nov 19th 2009, 11:40 pm
BE gremlin

T-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of light

I couldn't claim for my Husband's NVQ - I don't think it counts as a 'diploma'. In fact, I didn't get any points for him at all and remind him of this whenever he gets on my nerves!
Old Nov 20th 2009, 12:42 am
Living life again!!!!!!!

Falcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure they do as were getting extra points from my NVQ Level 2 (2 years) and my BTEC National (2 years).

In fact my Hubbies qualifications are City and Guilds NVQ Level 2 and 3 for his aprentership (sp?) and thats what gives us the points to get out there!
Old Nov 20th 2009, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by T-Pot
I couldn't claim for my Husband's NVQ - I don't think it counts as a 'diploma'. In fact, I didn't get any points for him at all and remind him of this whenever he gets on my nerves!
Excellent, I don't think I 'd get away with that with my wife.

What NVQ was it, and what proof did you supply?

I know there are some that have had NVQ's counted on here...
Old Nov 20th 2009, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm pretty sure they do as were getting extra points from my NVQ Level 2 (2 years) and my BTEC National (2 years).

In fact my Hubbies qualifications are City and Guilds NVQ Level 2 and 3 for his aprentership (sp?) and thats what gives us the points to get out there!
Good to know Falcore - thanks. What did you supply other than the photocopy of the certificate to validate it?
Old Nov 20th 2009, 8:58 pm
Living life again!!!!!!!

Good to know Falcore - thanks. What did you supply other than the photocopy of the certificate to validate it?
Well at the moment the docs are still with us so obviously i'm not 100% on this.....but we have taken advice and we are providing copies of both City and Guilds and mark sheets, we have had them assesed by some place in Guelph Canada and they stack up with as an apprentership in Canada. Then we are providing a statement from Hubbies employer saying he did the apprentership for 4 years during his employment with him.

We may also get a letter from the college too but not sure yet. With mine we have just been told to provide all copies of certificates. So we will have to see but we have no reason to doubt what we have been advised.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Well at the moment the docs are still with us so obviously i'm not 100% on this.....but we have taken advice and we are providing copies of both City and Guilds and mark sheets, we have had them assesed by some place in Guelph Canada and they stack up with as an apprentership in Canada. Then we are providing a statement from Hubbies employer saying he did the apprentership for 4 years during his employment with him.

We may also get a letter from the college too but not sure yet. With mine we have just been told to provide all copies of certificates. So we will have to see but we have no reason to doubt what we have been advised.
Hi Falcore
Notarized copies of your OHs City & Guilds plus a confirmation of attendance letter from the college detailing course and duration together with normal employment references confirming duties will be fine .
All the best

regards
Joinerboy

Last edited by joinerboy; Nov 21st 2009 at 2:17 am.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

She is self employed - don't see anywhere where they request reference letters for spouse's employment (but obviously this could back-up the vocational side to this course, if this is what you mean).

I assume you got everything notarized then...I aren't doing this given the instructions on the update letter. There seems to be much debate on here about this.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:30 am
Just Joined

eralta is an unknown quantity at this point

Canadian working in immigration here, deal with these queries all the time. Tripped over this forum by accident and wow! I mean holy dispersal of misinformation Batman! I'm guessing that a bunch of you completed your studies at the University of What Some Bloke In the Pub Told Me... Anyways, enough with the assumptions:

NVQ is a professional knowledge testing system and NOT a formal course of study so it does NOT count for points under Skilled Worker rules.

BTECs and City and Guilds certificates, on the other hand, ARE formal courses of study and/or apprenticeship and CAN qualify for education points.

Clear?
Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Canada Hopeful is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to slightly err from the OP's question, but if "eralta - working in immigration" is reading this, would you also be able to clarify whether docs have to be Notarized, or whether they can be Certified by a Commissioner of Oaths?? Would be very happy to avoid the hefty Notary Public charges and go for a Commissioner instead if this is going to be accepted..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.