Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Wife will be pregnant in Canada / advice please

Wikiposts

Wife will be pregnant in Canada / advice please

Old Sep 19th 2007, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

wizaird is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Wife will be pregnant in Canada / advice please

hi folks ,I have just found out that my wife is around 4 weeks pregnant.

My questions go out to those of you experienced in such matters .

We are currently awaiting a work permit so as we can go to Fredericton and I can start work.With my job it states medical insurance is included.
I would like to know if this would normally include all the family and if so what the protocol would be for someone who is pregnant and also an immigrant.

If she is not included what would I be needing to do to ensure everything runs smoothly and have her covered .

any advice would be much appreciated.

thanks Dave
Old Sep 19th 2007, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wife will be pregnant in Canada / advice please

Can't answer your questions but congratulations anyway.

I am sure it will all be fine. Babies are born in Canada too!!

Old Sep 19th 2007, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wizaird
hi folks ,I have just found out that my wife is around 4 weeks pregnant.

We are currently awaiting a work permit so as we can go to Fredericton and I can start work.With my job it states medical insurance is included.
I would like to know if this would normally include all the family and if so what the protocol would be for someone who is pregnant and also an immigrant.

If she is not included what would I be needing to do to ensure everything runs smoothly and have her covered .

any advice would be much appreciated.

thanks Dave
Firstly- Congrats to you both! Life will never be the same....

As for your medical cover with work - yes, *usually* it is for the entire family if you are married with dependants. You would be wise to check with your employer though.

As for whether the pregnancy will be covered, you should check that too, as there may be a clause about 'pre-existing conditions' that either of you have/had before the policy kicks in which *may* be excluded.

My son recently got benefits through his job but he wasn't able to claim anything for the first three months. This may or may not apply to your situation.

You might want to ask your employer to fax a copy of the policy to you ahead of time, so you know what you're dealing with. If you're not covered, pregnancy/birth here can be very expensive.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 11:33 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Calgal
Firstly- Congrats to you both! Life will never be the same....

As for your medical cover with work - yes, *usually* it is for the entire family if you are married with dependants. You would be wise to check with your employer though.

As for whether the pregnancy will be covered, you should check that too, as there may be a clause about 'pre-existing conditions' that either of you have/had before the policy kicks in which *may* be excluded.

My son recently got benefits through his job but he wasn't able to claim anything for the first three months. This may or may not apply to your situation.

You might want to ask your employer to fax a copy of the policy to you ahead of time, so you know what you're dealing with. If you're not covered, pregnancy/birth here can be very expensive.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
Being male and of advanced age, I'm not up on these things but wouldn't most of the pregnancy costs be covered under the provincial health care plan not the supplementary coverage.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Being male and of advanced age, I'm not up on these things but wouldn't most of the pregnancy costs be covered under the provincial health care plan not the supplementary coverage.
Good point - I'm not sure either. Do you get immediate cover out there though, or is one of the "wait three months" provinces?
Old Sep 19th 2007, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

This might help:

http://www.gnb.ca/immigration/index-e.asp
Old Sep 19th 2007, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

From the gov site:

"Applying for a Health Insurance Card
You should apply for a health insurance card as soon as you arrive in Canada.
Each member of your family, even babies, must have their own health insurance card.

All Canadian citizens and permanent residents are eligible for Medicare.
In some provinces, temporary workers, students and others who are in Canada
temporarily *may* also be eligible."

See full article here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/fact_health.asp

More: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/index.asp

http://www.gnb.ca/immigration/immigr...nada2007-e.asp

Last edited by Calgal; Sep 19th 2007 at 12:07 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

wizaird is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Wife will be pregnant in Canada / advice please

Great info and advice so far .Please keep it coming .I will look at the links you have posted when I get home as i'm at work at moment .

cheers Dave
Old Sep 19th 2007, 2:08 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Ask the employer whether medical insurance covers this. It ought to, but confirm it.

Secondly, you need to check whether you will be eligible for New Brunswick healthcare as temporary residents and if so, what is the situation in the first 3 months (a waiting period in many provinces).

You should be aware that the Canada born child will be a Canadian citizen automatically at birth, except in the (unlikely) event of a new Citizenship Act between now and then.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

You should be aware that the Canada born child will be a Canadian citizen automatically at birth, except in the (unlikely) event of a new Citizenship Act between now and then.
Are you sure about that JAJ?

URL="http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/pr-card/pr-card-faq12.asp"]http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/pr-card/pr-card-faq12.asp[/URL]

Children of permanent residents who were born in Canada are Canadian citizens and need a Canadian passport to travel, not a Permanent Resident Card.

wizaird says that they are waiting for WP not PR, so I don't think the Little wizaird will be elgiable for Canadian Citizenship quite yet.

Anyone else been in this situtation?
Old Sep 19th 2007, 11:43 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by live to ski
Are you sure about that JAJ?

URL="http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/pr-card/pr-card-faq12.asp"]http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/pr-card/pr-card-faq12.asp[/URL]

Children of permanent residents who were born in Canada are Canadian citizens and need a Canadian passport to travel, not a Permanent Resident Card.

wizaird says that they are waiting for WP not PR, so I don't think the Little wizaird will be elgiable for Canadian Citizenship quite yet.

Anyone else been in this situtation?
All children born in Canada are Canadian citizens, except where parents are diplomats or official guests.

There is no ambiguity about this.

Barring the above, it does not matter what the parent's status is. Permanent resident, work permit, student, even illegal. Section 3(1) of the Citizenship Act is your reference:
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/showdoc...nchorbo-ga:l_I
Old Sep 20th 2007, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Calgal
From the gov site:

"Applying for a Health Insurance Card
You should apply for a health insurance card as soon as you arrive in Canada.
Each member of your family, even babies, must have their own health insurance card.

All Canadian citizens and permanent residents are eligible for Medicare.
In some provinces, temporary workers, students and others who are in Canada
temporarily *may* also be eligible."

See full article here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/fact_health.asp

More: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/index.asp

http://www.gnb.ca/immigration/immigr...nada2007-e.asp
We were in Fredericton on work permits before we became PRs. Service New Brunswick were VERY vague and non-committal before we arrived, about whether we would be eligible for Medicare because of our temporary status.

I think they won't commit because the length of the work permit is determined when you enter the country (don't assume the work permit will be issued for the same length of time as the LMO).

The good news is that we were eligible, and I think the key thing was that the work permit had to be for at least 1 year, and we had to have applied for PR.

Congrats and good luck.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that JAJ - CIC website rather misleading there.

Mr Live to Ski and I were talking the other day about if we have a choice, which country we would like the Little Live to Ski's to be born.

There was me thinking that I would be potentially helping my children to be able to live in other countires etc. Mr Live to Ski helpfully suggested that he would like at least one conceived in Taiwan so we can say "made in Taiwan"!