Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Wife with TWP, what are my working options

Wife with TWP, what are my working options

Old Sep 9th 2011, 7:10 pm
Account Closed

trevorandjo york is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wife with TWP, what are my working options

OK, assuming my wife getS a TWP and starts work in BC, what are my options for working in Canada, do i need to get my own TWP or do I have similar rights to her?

Also, with TWP, are my children allowed to use the schools and the facilities in Canada.

Thanks

Great site, very useful, KEEP THE INFORMATION COMING. Trevor
Old Sep 9th 2011, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wife with TWP, what are my working options

Depends how she is getting her TWP. Not all TWP's allow spouse to get one. Some provinces require children to get student visas. All can be applied for same time as initial applicant or at POE as long as medicals not required and fees paid accordingly

Example
I am a RN so my husband was able to get his open TWP, however mine is only for the company I am employed with
Old Sep 9th 2011, 11:24 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, we are headed to BC, dh has twp (pnp hopefully) I qualify for sowp and study permit (I'm a student although I will continue studying with OU in uk it might be ness to study in BC) kids all get study permits too for free schooling.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 11:46 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Depends how she is getting her TWP. Not all TWP's allow spouse to get one. Some provinces require children to get student visas. All can be applied for same time as initial applicant or at POE as long as medicals not required and fees paid accordingly

Example
I am a RN so my husband was able to get his open TWP, however mine is only for the company I am employed with
Sounds like we will be similar to you, OH is RN and hoping to move with PR, however looking to move in July nextyear regardless and we are looking at TWP, so you are saying I will have to get my own TWP and student visas for children that are 16 and 13. Do I not have the right to accompany her and not work?

Interested to know what CRNBC asked you to do to get registration and licencure..do you know if the province is sponsoring through PNP? Or did you get LMO through your employer? Are they currently recruiting RN's?

So many questions...... Thanks Trevor Sorry just noticed your not in BC, what did NS asked you to do?

Last edited by trevorandjo york; Sep 9th 2011 at 11:47 pm. Reason: mistake.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 11:59 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

If she gets a twp you should qualify automatically for the spouse open work permit, you can work anywhere but she can only work for company named on her twp. The kids visas are just a formality as well, sometimes they don't even charge for them if twp at Poe.
You don't need a visa if you don't intend to work. I don't intend to work but want the option if there is an emergency and I have to support us for some reason. I'm a full time mum/ student so hopefully can avoid work till I'm qualified in 2014.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 12:40 am
Account Closed

how does one apply for a spouse open work visa? Is that automatic or do i need to get the language tests done and apply through CIC? Trevor
Old Sep 10th 2011, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Again it depends on how she is getting her TWP. Not all occupations will allow the spouse to obtain a TWP.

If you are able to obtain a TWP you complete the same forms and can either submit them with her application or apply at POE when you land. Only main applicant has to pass language exams

If your spouse or common-law partner wants to work while in Canada, they must apply for their own work permit. Normally, they must meet the same requirements that you do, including obtaining (if needed) a labour market opinion (LMO) from Human Resources and Skills Development Canada.

However, your spouse or common-law partner may be eligible to apply for an “open” work permit that will allow her or him to accept any job with any employer if you meet the conditions outlined below:

A. You are authorized to work in Canada for six months or longer and the work you are doing while you live in Canada meets a minimum skill level (usually work that would require at least a college diploma). Specifically, your job must be listed in Skill Level 0, A or B in the National Occupational Classification;

Or

B. You are authorized to work in Canada and the work you are doing while you live in Canada is included in a list of eligible occupations in participating provinces.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...work-faq08.asp
Old Sep 10th 2011, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by trevorandjo york
Sounds like we will be similar to you, OH is RN and hoping to move with PR, however looking to move in July nextyear regardless and we are looking at TWP, so you are saying I will have to get my own TWP and student visas for children that are 16 and 13. Do I not have the right to accompany her and not work?

Interested to know what CRNBC asked you to do to get registration and licencure..do you know if the province is sponsoring through PNP? Or did you get LMO through your employer? Are they currently recruiting RN's?

So many questions...... Thanks Trevor Sorry just noticed your not in BC, what did NS asked you to do?
If you plan on working then you will need your own TWP. Yes you have to the right to accompany her and not work. That is what I did initially as hubby was the one to get a TWP but when our TWP need renewing it was easier for me to get LMO as jobs for nurses in NS are hard to fill and the company I work for was able to get a LMO with no problems

Not 100% sure what jobs for nurses are like in BC but in NS I am seeing less and less jobs advertised.

May want to check careerbeacon.com out and see what jobs are like. For TWP your wife will need to find full time hours and I believe at the moment jobs like that are hard. Most seem to start off casual or part time as seniority is a big thing over here and that has a lot to do with getting full time

NS required me to complete some courses due to issues with my transcripts and I met a couple of other UK nurses that like me trained couple of decades or more ago that also had to do 1 or 2 courses to make hours up. I did find the courses help prepare me for CRNE and I did pass first time.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 4:20 am
Account Closed

What a star you are! Thanks for the Information, we are very grateful indeed. Trevor