Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Wife emigrating on my visa ... can she work in Canada?

Wife emigrating on my visa ... can she work in Canada?

Old Mar 22nd 2011, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

robertknowles is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wife emigrating on my visa ... can she work in Canada?

Desperate for advice .... can't find this on any other web site ....

My wife and I are emigrating to Canada. My work permit shouldn't be a problem; my employer's HQ is in Toronto and I have a job offer from them. We plan that my wife will emigrate as my spouse on my work permit application (we are both UK citizens).

Question: My wife wants to find a job asap when we get to Canada; how do we go about this? She is a qualified teacher and University lecturer in Art & Design and also works in museum and gallery education. (But she tells me she'll work in the 7-11 to get money coming in asap!).

thanks in advance.

Robert
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

stacey.cook1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wife emigrating on my visa ... can she work in Canada?

Originally Posted by robertknowles
Desperate for advice .... can't find this on any other web site ....

My wife and I are emigrating to Canada. My work permit shouldn't be a problem; my employer's HQ is in Toronto and I have a job offer from them. We plan that my wife will emigrate as my spouse on my work permit application (we are both UK citizens).

Question: My wife wants to find a job asap when we get to Canada; how do we go about this? She is a qualified teacher and University lecturer in Art & Design and also works in museum and gallery education. (But she tells me she'll work in the 7-11 to get money coming in asap!).

thanks in advance.

Robert
What kind of work permit will you have? If your skill level falls under 0, A or B on the NOC matrix then she will be able to apply for an Open work permit at the same time as you, authorizing her to work anywhere for the same time period as your visa is valid for.

NOC Matrix - http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/...ml/Matrix.html
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 10:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

^^^ What she said - I assume that you are going on an intra-company transfer TWP, so your job will definitely be classed as skilled, and therefore your wife can get an open work permit.

This Wiki article on intra-company transfers may be useful reading...........http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Intra-...ransfer-Canada

And welcome to the forum.

Edit: just re-read your post and realised your wife is a teacher, so this may also be useful............http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Teaching_in_Canada

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 22nd 2011 at 10:06 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 11:43 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice. I would definitely qualify for an intra-company transfer. I'm going to ask my company's HR about whether to go for an intra-company transfer or an LMO.

Either way I understand my wife can get an open work permit on the back of my work permit. The question now is how does she do this? We've got the work permit application form (IMM5488) but there's nothing on it about applying as the spouse of someone with a job lined up in Canada.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 12:55 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

You have two options, apply to the High Commission in London with a standard work permit application (with your own application) and just state in the Employer bit that it is a Spousal Open Work Permit. Or you can apply at the border when you arrive, if you arrive together, or if she arrives after and has proof of your work permit and a marriage certificate.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

Thanks. We definitely want to get it sorted while we are still in the UK. I'm looking at the work permit application form now but it just seems a bit dodgy to write "Spousal Open Work Permit" in the box that asks for "Name of Employer". Are you sure they'll be OK with that?

Thanks again.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 1:17 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

Thanks. We definitely want to get it sorted while we are still in the UK. I'm looking at the work permit application form now but it just seems a bit dodgy to write "Spousal Open Work Permit" in the box that asks for "Name of Employer". Are you sure they'll be OK with that?

Thanks again.
Pretty sure that's what others have done. Not much option - it's the only form available

Remember to put N/A for any questions that don't make sense to answer, although as I said, at some point you need to make it explicit that it is a spousal open work permit.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

surely better to do it all at the border? - there would be no issues with filling out forms incorrectly and no delay whilst waiting for london to process your application
Old Mar 26th 2011, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, we'll have a think and consider both options. You've been really helpful.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 1:39 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, we'll have a think and consider both options. You've been really helpful.
Don't forget if your Wife wishes to teach she will need to undergo an immigration medical
Old Mar 26th 2011, 3:05 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Don't forget if your Wife wishes to teach she will need to undergo an immigration medical
Ah yes, which would mean it'd have to be done via the London High Commission rather than at the border.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 4:49 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BTJ
Ah yes, which would mean it'd have to be done via the London High Commission rather than at the border.
Indeed.