Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Why are so many people migrating from Britain?

Why are so many people migrating from Britain?

Old Dec 1st 2004, 12:46 pm
the-smiths

Default Re: Why are so many people migrating from Britain?

Many people work in Toronto, because you get paid more by doing so, but don't necessarily live there, especially when you've got a family. If you are single, then it's ok to do so, otherwise, it's better to move outside a bit, where you money can get you more in terms of housing.

Ok...you have to travel an hour or so to work, but that is common here anyway, you get use to it after a while, and knowing that after work, you are going back to your quiet surburb, makes it all worthwile.

Originally Posted by CanDreams
Hi,

Well, I wanted to settle in Vancouver, its a wonderful combination of Sea, mountain and cool weather (not hot like other tropical places.) But we have decided to settle in Toronto initially because of there are more opportunity in Toronto.

Where in Toronto? I am still not sure. You guys can guide me in this regard.
Looking forward for some suggestion.

Regards,

Old Dec 1st 2004, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

CanDreams is an unknown quantity at this point

Yup, I am family man with two kids. I don't mind 1 hr travel time.
The only thing is I don't want to stay in apartment, I like house with garden.

Would you like to suggest some good places in terms of transportation, school and market. Should not be too expensive. I would appreciate if you can give me an idea of rents.

Thanks

Originally Posted by the-smiths
Many people work in Toronto, because you get paid more by doing so, but don't necessarily live there, especially when you've got a family. If you are single, then it's ok to do so, otherwise, it's better to move outside a bit, where you money can get you more in terms of housing.

Ok...you have to travel an hour or so to work, but that is common here anyway, you get use to it after a while, and knowing that after work, you are going back to your quiet surburb, makes it all worthwile.
Old Dec 1st 2004, 4:34 pm
the-smiths

I know what you mean about the apartment thing, it's not really conducive for family living. Over the past couples of months, there have been stories in Toronto of a couple of kids falling off the balconies and all that, pretty scary news to a parent.

There are townhouses and houses you can rent or lease, while you are looking at areas to buy your house in, and there are usually books and magazines in yellow boxes on the side of the road, that gives you a better idea of this things.

Hopefully someone will come along and shed some more light on this for you !

Old Dec 1st 2004, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

farmgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by the-smiths
I know what you mean about the apartment thing, it's not really conducive for family living. Over the past couples of months, there have been stories in Toronto of a couple of kids falling off the balconies and all that, pretty scary news to a parent.

There are townhouses and houses you can rent or lease, while you are looking at areas to buy your house in, and there are usually books and magazines in yellow boxes on the side of the road, that gives you a better idea of this things.

Hopefully someone will come along and shed some more light on this for you !
================================================== ==

to rent in sask we looked on MLS.ca and found local realtors and they told us who to rent from , beware of renting from ads in papers , Lizwil went and looked at one for us and there was dog crap in the basement .....near miss
we found lots of realtors owned buy to let and were only to happy to rent to a family they might make a sale to
HOWEVER becareful what you sign , we just signed a standard rental agreement giving 1 mths notice to leave but we know one family who found to get out of their rental with less than 12 mths notice they had to buy through a certain realtor , and of course that limits the number of homes you can chose from to those he is lisitng not all of the local houses on mls ...stitch up i think
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 12:50 pm
the-smiths

www.mls.ca is a good site, you never stop hearing good things about it ! I have directed one of my friends in the UK to the site, her and her husband are thinking of buying a holiday home here.