Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Why are so many people migrating from Britain?

Why are so many people migrating from Britain?

Old Nov 29th 2004, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

juliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: have a laugh this was on another forum

Originally Posted by farmgirl
3 Brits die each year testing a 9 volt battery to
see if it works on their
tongue.
This one kept me awake last night !
How can you DIE by licking a 9 volt battery ? :scared:

( maybe batteries should have warnings like " licking this object can seriously harm you and anyone else holding any part of your body at the time , unless they're wearing rubber soles " )
Old Nov 29th 2004, 11:34 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: have a laugh this was on another forum

Originally Posted by juliusmaximus
This one kept me awake last night !
How can you DIE by licking a 9 volt battery ? :scared:

( maybe batteries should have warnings like " licking this object can seriously harm you and anyone else holding any part of your body at the time , unless they're wearing rubber soles " )
The 9v battery he is referring to is the square type battery. It has a positive and a negative connection at one end

If you stick your tongue over the pos and neg connections you get a wee tingle, a slight shock, not much but you do get a wee kick.

I have done it hundreds of times OOOPPPPSSSSS STILL HERE I,M SORRY TO SAY.

I guess there are a few unlucky sods out there

Eddie
Old Nov 29th 2004, 11:56 pm
Just Joined

farmgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why are so many people migrating from Britain?

Originally Posted by the-smiths
Am happy to be here now, and you can see that in the pics in the link below, and, wild mooses can't drag us away from all these, back to the UK ......LOL

http://photobucket.com/albums/v171/leoville/

NOTE: Type in christmas as the password to see the pics

COOL photos you look very happy , at least here you can go to the lake at weekend , last time we tried oxford to the lake district we spent 6 hrs in a traffic jam!!!
Old Nov 30th 2004, 12:12 am
the-smiths

Thank you very much ! Yes we take full advantage of the weekends, there is always something to do, and places to see, and you can see why the 3 weeks vacation that we get, compared to the 5 in the UK, doesn't necessary mean you still can't get to places.

The little girl is doing well in school too, today was report card day, and she did well, even in french.

COOL photos you look very happy , at least here you can go to the lake at weekend , last time we tried oxford to the lake district we spent 6 hrs in a traffic jam!!!

Old Nov 30th 2004, 12:49 am
Velouria

Am happy to be here now, and you can see that in the pics in the link below, and, wild mooses can't drag us away from all these, back to the UK ......LOL

http://photobucket.com/albums/v171/leoville/

NOTE: Type in christmas as the password to see the pics
excellent pics! you guys look happy

Old Nov 30th 2004, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

CanDreams is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there!

the-smiths photos are very nice.

This is for guys who have travelled to Canada :

did you find any place in Canada like Richmond (river side pubs and all...),Leicester Square , Yorkshire country-side, Isle Of Wight?

Thanks
Old Nov 30th 2004, 4:07 am
Just Joined

farmgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CanDreams
Hi there!

the-smiths photos are very nice.

This is for guys who have travelled to Canada :

did you find any place in Canada like Richmond (river side pubs and all...),Leicester Square , Yorkshire country-side, Isle Of Wight?

Thanks
isle of wight would be prince edward island
new brunswick and maritimes is cornwall
ontario countryside oxfordshire and cotswolds
yorkshire.........humm will have to think of that , BC?
Leicester Square ? centre of Toronto?

re 25 days hols in Uk , i never got that even working for barclays , Prudential etc , it was always 20 plus one extra day every 5 yrs service and we all got made redundant every 3 yrs anyway LOL

i think if you assume 15 days in canada and add up all the extra bank holidays or stats as they call them they have its not such a huge gap , it was something that bugged us when moving here but actually canadians work weird hours , at hubbies place they can start at 4.30 am and be done by 12,oo noon fridays and they all go off fishing etc , suspect half of them tell the missus still at work ( ice fishing is one sport still trying to comprehend) and the civil servants in Regina all do 8 am to 4.00pm , rush hour on friday is 3.30 to 4.30 in the city here
they seem to have a lot more long weekends and think nothing of driving 10 hrs to somewhere and having a cottage at the lake is more common , the cottage is often no more thana portakabin though! hotels are all family rooms and they seem to squash loads of kids in them for 35 pounds a night including breakfast and of course petrol is cheap traffic in the boonies non existent so getting away is manageble

we have found them to be more family friendly , my husband said he didnt want to do nights and waited to get sacked and was asked if he could do the odd bit of overtime after 2.30 his usual finish time instead , some friends here are divorced and he has the kids every other week and goes in at 8.30 that week when everyone else goes in at 6.30 so he can do the school run , i have never heard of industry in Uk being that accomodating
Old Nov 30th 2004, 8:41 am
the-smiths

Thanks CanDreams ! Like farmgirl said, those places can easily fit as places you mentioned and Leicester Square could easily be Toronto or Montreal, which is very cosmopolitan, vibrant, and reminds you of some bi cities in Europe by the look of the buildings, food, transport system, the buzz and the people.

Old Nov 30th 2004, 3:13 pm
long hard slog...done it

SpeC will become famous soon enoughSpeC will become famous soon enough

WOW Rich I couldn't have ranted any better myself
Reminds me of lunch time dicussions with a collegue of mine on putting the country to rights.Only problem was, I came away from them so depressed I could have committed hary kary
Old Nov 30th 2004, 8:19 pm
the-smiths

LOL........That's a classic !

Old Nov 30th 2004, 8:45 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

i think if you assume 15 days in canada and add up all the extra bank holidays or stats as they call them they have its not such a huge gap ,
Been here nearly 7 years and can say for me this is not the case. Ten days is very much the norm, and often its a holiday pay system, so even if you are entitled to take 10 days, you may not have enough holiday pay paid into the account to cover ten days lost wages in the first year.

I myself will just getting 3 weeks next year for the first time, and I dont think there are (m)any more stat hols here than the UK. Lack of holiday here is very old fashioned IMO, although I probably couldnt afford to travel anywhere resorty to make the most of it anyway, even if I did have 25 days
Travel is expensive here relative to the UK. BUt to be fair life is less stressful on a day to day basis, so no need for as much recovery time anyway. I guess it depends if you enjoy your job though

Iain
Old Nov 30th 2004, 11:24 pm
the-smiths

Back to the original poster's question, of why people are leaving the UK, include us, just checkout the link below, for one of the reasons:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10/06/chavscum/

Old Dec 1st 2004, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

This was artistic imagination of places, perfect comparison.

Thanks

isle of wight would be prince edward island
new brunswick and maritimes is cornwall
ontario countryside oxfordshire and cotswolds
yorkshire.........humm will have to think of that , BC?
Leicester Square ? centre of Toronto?

re 25 days hols in Uk , i never got that even working for barclays , Prudential etc , it was always 20 plus one extra day every 5 yrs service and we all got made redundant every 3 yrs anyway LOL

i think if you assume 15 days in canada and add up all the extra bank holidays or stats as they call them they have its not such a huge gap , it was something that bugged us when moving here but actually canadians work weird hours , at hubbies place they can start at 4.30 am and be done by 12,oo noon fridays and they all go off fishing etc , suspect half of them tell the missus still at work ( ice fishing is one sport still trying to comprehend) and the civil servants in Regina all do 8 am to 4.00pm , rush hour on friday is 3.30 to 4.30 in the city here
they seem to have a lot more long weekends and think nothing of driving 10 hrs to somewhere and having a cottage at the lake is more common , the cottage is often no more thana portakabin though! hotels are all family rooms and they seem to squash loads of kids in them for 35 pounds a night including breakfast and of course petrol is cheap traffic in the boonies non existent so getting away is manageble

we have found them to be more family friendly , my husband said he didnt want to do nights and waited to get sacked and was asked if he could do the odd bit of overtime after 2.30 his usual finish time instead , some friends here are divorced and he has the kids every other week and goes in at 8.30 that week when everyone else goes in at 6.30 so he can do the school run , i have never heard of industry in Uk being that accomodating
Old Dec 1st 2004, 10:09 am
the-smiths

CanDreams.....Am sure Singapore must have some places that relate to those areas too eh? Where in Canada are you hoping to settle in?

Old Dec 1st 2004, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

Hi,

Well, I wanted to settle in Vancouver, its a wonderful combination of Sea, mountain and cool weather (not hot like other tropical places.) But we have decided to settle in Toronto initially because of there are more opportunity in Toronto.

Where in Toronto? I am still not sure. You guys can guide me in this regard.
Looking forward for some suggestion.

Regards,

CanDreams.....Am sure Singapore must have some places that relate to those areas too eh? Where in Canada are you hoping to settle in?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.