Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Who moved via the Self-Employed/Business route?

Who moved via the Self-Employed/Business route?

Old Jul 27th 2015, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

moosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond repute
Default Who moved via the Self-Employed/Business route?

Hi everyone. I've been searching on here for people who emigrated via the Business/Self-employed route…am I right in thinking there aren't many who have gone in that way? I am specifically looking for general experience on the timescales so I can get a better idea of where my application is at….everything I can find is either PNP or FSW, which I assume could well be processed to different timescales.

This is my progress so far:

Feb 2012: sent in application form
May 2012: receipt of application received
August 2014: P160 email received. 90 days to supply info
December 2014: Application refused based on P160 info supplied. 30 days to supply any further info
Jan 2015: supplied a revised business case for the application
June 2015: Medicals requested along with biodata, RPRF payment, passport copies
July 2015: ECAS status now says 'medical results received'

I have read so much info about what the steps of the process are, but for planning/logistics I am looking for as much info as possible about how likely it is that we're pretty much at the end…and how much longer we have to wait.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 4:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who moved via the Self-Employed/Business route?

There are a couple on the forum that have applied via Self Employed, it's certainly not a common route though. Re: processing times, the CIC website will give you the latest timescales.

Good luck.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

moosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
There are a couple on the forum that have applied via Self Employed, it's certainly not a common route though. Re: processing times, the CIC website will give you the latest timescales.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply, christmasoompa. It's actually because of the CIC website timescales that I was asking here…it says that timescales are 60 months for self-employed route….I submitted my application about 3.5 years ago, so by that token is it realistic that it's going to take them another year and a half to take the application from the 'medical results received' stage until the end?! I was kind of hoping that once the medical results are received/RPRF paid etc that you're just a few months away. Blimey, I dread the thought of another 18 months of waiting! :-(
Old Jul 28th 2015, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Good luck.
I'm thinking there's a member by the name of "Wolf(ie)"?? Woof(ie)"?? Some variation thereof, who did self employed route. A *very* long running thread, IIRC. My search mojo doesn't seem to be too good today.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 9:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
I'm thinking there's a member by the name of "Wolf(ie)"?? Woof(ie)"?? Some variation thereof, who did self employed route. A *very* long running thread, IIRC. My search mojo doesn't seem to be too good today.
Yes! Wolfie & Will I think. Thank you, I couldn't remember their username off the top of my head.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

Thanks! I found the threads by searching that username.
Still none the wiser on how much longer I might have but I'm not sure what I was really hoping to find! Back to the waiting game….
Old Aug 6th 2015, 12:18 am
Just Joined

ciderdrinker is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi moosemeadows,

I've just seen your post and thought I might let you know my experience. I applied exactly a year before you (Feb 2011). We didn't hear anything until September 2014 when they requested all our personal and business records. We received a request for medicals in December 2014 and received COPR in Feb 2015. So all in all it took 4 years. Unless there is an issue with your medicals I would assume you will hear from them very soon.

It's worth noting that the landing expiry date will be exactly one year from the date of your medical. We're going to do a short landing/holiday in September and hopefully move in Spring next year.

Hope that helps!
Old Aug 6th 2015, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ciderdrinker
Hi moosemeadows,

I've just seen your post and thought I might let you know my experience. I applied exactly a year before you (Feb 2011). We didn't hear anything until September 2014 when they requested all our personal and business records. We received a request for medicals in December 2014 and received COPR in Feb 2015. So all in all it took 4 years. Unless there is an issue with your medicals I would assume you will hear from them very soon.

It's worth noting that the landing expiry date will be exactly one year from the date of your medical. We're going to do a short landing/holiday in September and hopefully move in Spring next year.

Hope that helps!
Thanks ciderdrinker, that's great to know - thanks for the reply. So fingers crossed it looks like we should be a few weeks away or thereabouts. Just a couple of questions if you don't mind…

1. The last thing we did was send back an updated Schedule A along with copies of passports, pay the RPRF and also submit a biodata form, and our medical have been received. Did you receive an email from CIC after this at all, or was the next thing literally getting COPR in the post? The reason I ask is that our post is extremely unreliable (and in fact has caused delays of several months because we didn't receive one particular letter from CIC, and then when they sent a replacement it was delivered so late that we had already missed the deadline in the letter). I hate getting home to find no post every day, wondering whether there should be something or not, or whether I would at least hear something by email.

2. Mind me asking whereabouts you're headed? We're going to be lower mainland BC.

Last edited by moosemeadows; Aug 6th 2015 at 3:20 am.
Old Aug 6th 2015, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

ciderdrinker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moosemeadows
Thanks ciderdrinker, that's great to know - thanks for the reply. So fingers crossed it looks like we should be a few weeks away or thereabouts. Just a couple of questions if you don't mind…

1. The last thing we did was send back an updated Schedule A along with copies of passports, pay the RPRF and also submit a biodata form, and our medical have been received. Did you receive an email from CIC after this at all, or was the next thing literally getting COPR in the post? The reason I ask is that our post is extremely unreliable (and in fact has caused delays of several months because we didn't receive one particular letter from CIC, and then when they sent a replacement it was delivered so late that we had already missed the deadline in the letter). I hate getting home to find no post every day, wondering whether there should be something or not, or whether I would at least hear something by email.

2. Mind me asking whereabouts you're headed? We're going to be lower mainland BC.
1. We didn't receive any further communications but had to email them as my partner's COPR had the incorrect marital status. They said we could either send back her COPR for reissue or sort it out when we land. We have opted for the latter.

2. We're going to use our September short landing trip to scout out a preferred location. We have a short list of three areas: the Okanagan valley, lower mainland or Vancouver Island - Victoria, Saanich or Nanaimo. So quite a lot of research to do!