Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

WHo to Complaining about an immigration lawyer

WHo to Complaining about an immigration lawyer

Old Sep 22nd 2007, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute
Default WHo to Complaining about an immigration lawyer

(sorry - hit enter by mistake then typing title - anyways, I'm sure you get the jist)

Hi

As some of you may have read, we received bad advice from the immigration lawyer that my company hired for us.

In a nutshell, despite having been appointed 9 months before our BUNAC WP expired, all she kept saying was "don't apply for the LMO too early". She never mentioned the possibility of the PNP route.

It was only about 3 months before our WP expired that I really started to panic and pushing her to do something. I asked about PNP and she said that we wouldn't get it. Shehad never even given us PNP as an option to discuss. (I'm a great believer in knowing all your options before making a decision, and had told her that).

Eventually she said that it was time to apply for LMO. Now I did a lot of research and spoke to BC PNP, and people in my industry and decided that we had a chance at PNP, which is preferable to LMO WP AND SW PR.

So we sacked her.

And guess what. We got PNP and the LMO isn't back yet, despite our old WP having expired. We would have been totally screwed if we had gone with her advice.

So my question is. How do we go about complaining about this lawyer in BC / Canada?

Last edited by live to ski; Sep 22nd 2007 at 2:32 am.
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 2:49 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WHo to Complaining about an immigration lawyer

Are you talking about a lawyer or a consultant. Complaints about lawyers go to the provincial law society. Complaints about consultants go to the Canadian Society of Immigration Consultants.
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by live to ski
(sorry - hit enter by mistake then typing title - anyways, I'm sure you get the jist)

Hi

As some of you may have read, we received bad advice from the immigration lawyer that my company hired for us.

In a nutshell, despite having been appointed 9 months before our BUNAC WP expired, all she kept saying was "don't apply for the LMO too early". She never mentioned the possibility of the PNP route.

It was only about 3 months before our WP expired that I really started to panic and pushing her to do something. I asked about PNP and she said that we wouldn't get it. Shehad never even given us PNP as an option to discuss. (I'm a great believer in knowing all your options before making a decision, and had told her that).

Eventually she said that it was time to apply for LMO. Now I did a lot of research and spoke to BC PNP, and people in my industry and decided that we had a chance at PNP, which is preferable to LMO WP AND SW PR.

So we sacked her.

And guess what. We got PNP and the LMO isn't back yet, despite our old WP having expired. We would have been totally screwed if we had gone with her advice.

So my question is. How do we go about complaining about this lawyer in BC / Canada?
Hi there

I know that in Ontario you would complain to the Law Society, try looking for the Law Society of BC.
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. Yes, she somehow is a qualified lawyer.

I'll Google Law Society of BC
Old Oct 24th 2007, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Just thought I would give an update. I wasn't bothering to do anything with the lawyer situation just yet as I wanted to put my time and energy into (1) getting us to stay here legally (we are now on new WP and just had our meds done) and (2) working hard to prove to my company why they are going through all this hassle for me.

Then out the blue a invoices arrived at work, addressed to me for several thousand $$ for "immigration consultancy services".

I saw complete red, and sent an email to the president of my company, saying (1) why the hell are they sending me invoices when they should go to my company and (2) what a nerve asking for money for the mess of the case they made and (3) I want to complain to the law society about this lawyer.

President forwarded this email on to senior partner who does all our corporate law work (and gets a lot of $$ for it no doubt) as apparently my fury came over well.

Obviously all hell broke loose in this Vancouver law firm as next thing I knew I am being hounded by senior partners, grovelling, and asking what they can do to make it up to me. They went over my file with a fine tooth comb, spent several hours on the phone to me explaining where things fell apart, have cancelled all invoices, and one even popped into the office last week to apologise to me in person having already done so on the phone.

It's getting a bit ridiculous and start to affect my billable hours at work!

I don't think this immigration lawyer’s career is going to be going too far with this law firm anymore.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

mc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud of

I'm half-tempted to complain about mine as well but I'm not even going to consider it until I've arrived in Toronto (which would have been months ago were it nor for them)
Old Oct 24th 2007, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mc_dub
I'm half-tempted to complain about mine as well but I'm not even going to consider it until I've arrived in Toronto (which would have been months ago were it nor for them)
Yes, probably worth putting your efforts into getting to Toronto first and then dealing with extra hassles.

What happened with your immigration lawyer?

Maybe this could be the start of the equivalent of PPI / endowment mortgages mis-selling scandals.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

mc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud of

they miscalculated my points on my initial assessment (which meant I had to wait 6 months to acquire the points for Canadian experience), although this was only spotted AFTER they got the initial payment from me. Their people held up my case for almost a month when given the interview waiver due to a lack on internal communication as they sent the email to my old email address as my paralegal was on holiday, I then had to chase them for 2 weeks as they wouldn't release my medical forms until they got my last payment and their accounts department took 2 weeks to send me the e-bill despite numerous calls and supposed intervention from the stand-in paralegal. The medicals took 2 weeks to get from Buffalo to them contacting me in the first place so I sat the medicals with one day to spare on the 60 day deadline. (I've also gone through 6 paralegals with them due to incompetence), they didn't notice the incorrect country of birth on my medical forms in the month they had them and they were nice and helpful up until I paid in full, now they take forever to respond to anything. It also took them 10 days from the package received email from their front desk to go over a police certificate, a bank statement as proof of funds and a photocopy of the medical receipts before sending it on to Buffalo.

Last edited by mc_dub; Oct 24th 2007 at 9:28 am. Reason: additional info
Old Oct 24th 2007, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

What a nightmare - both delaying the whole process and having to check that what was done was correct, which is one of the main reasons for hiring them.

I know I can turn things around very quickly, eg, had med appointment booked within 30 mins for receiving med requests. It would be so frustrating knowing that this sort of thing was delayed cos it was just sat in some uncaring person's in tray. Especially when you were trying to pay them the money to realse everything.

I like the idea of the different levels of service that Andrew offer's - where you manage everything yourself, and just get the advice you need, rather than having to hand over the whole file. After all you still have to do the majority of the work yourself.

One thing I am learning more and more is not to trust "experts". I know my life, my body, my views, my opinions, and my goals better than anyone. Therefore I will listen to their advice, do my own research, but ultimately make my own mind up. And certainly with using agents, I won't have paperwork sent straight to them - I'll just fax them a copy of whatever paperwork it is as soon as it arrives to me.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

well all is forgiven because they just emailed my PPR request an hour ago!!
Old Oct 24th 2007, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

!!!!!!!!!!!CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 31st 2007, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

to add to the crap, I couriered my passport to them, they did so to Buffalo, now they've demanded $40 to courier it back to me when they receive it from Buffalo :curse: