Where in the world?

Old Nov 4th 2004, 11:58 am
Just Joined

danielandsarah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where in the world?

We can't decide wether to emigrate to Canada or Australia. Which system is easier, from a skilled visa point of view? Is there anyone out there who knows both systems?
Old Nov 4th 2004, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Brummie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where in the world?

Originally Posted by danielandsarah
We can't decide wether to emigrate to Canada or Australia. Which system is easier, from a skilled visa point of view? Is there anyone out there who knows both systems?
They are both similar - neither are easy!

Your job needs to be on the skill set lists and they run a state sponsored visa similar to Canada's PNP.

You just have to decide how long you want to wait and how many points you qualify for. I know that OZ has a very high points pass mark (120) which is very hard to get unless you have relatives there who are prepared to sponsor you, your qualifications are at least to degree level and you're prepared to invest $100,000 into a 12 month bond!

However OZ seems quicker to get into, but if you're looking to move quickly then New Zealand is even quicker!!

Just depends whether you prefer beaches or ski slopes!
Old Nov 4th 2004, 12:40 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

What a bizarre question. I think a decision should be taken based on what life will be like in the two countries, and what your future happyness is likely to be, rather than on what the systems are like!

Have you visited both/ either countries?
Old Nov 4th 2004, 2:17 pm
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

I've been to both and originally wanted to emigrate to Australia 15 years ago after living there for a while, however circumstances meant I could not go back. (Got married and husband does not like too much heat)
We looked at Aus and Canada and both are very similar as far as points and applications. Both are stunning to visit and I could happily live in either.

Although now, for us Canada was the only country that still takes applications from over 40 year olds, and had a climate we much preferred to Aus. Unless you are a sun worshipper, it can be very hot to live and work in all the time.
If you are 20's -30's and fancy living in Adelaide, a few months ago they were crying out for people. Similar to Canada, people are going to Sydney or Melborne so they are offering incentives for people to live in out of city areas. You can get fast tracked and need fewer points, but there are conditions. See the Aus immigration for info.
I would not even consider emigration to either without visiting.
Availability of jobs, climate, distance from friends and family, house prices etc.
all need to be considered before you think the "grass is greener"

Old Nov 4th 2004, 5:47 pm
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

An important conideration is that water goes down the plug hole the opposite way in the southern hemisphere. Consider carefully whether you'll be able to put up with that before thinking about going to Australia.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 10:54 am
Just Joined

That's a great start. I can understand people thinking it strange we can't decide where to go, but there are so many fantastic aspects of each country and we know we will fit in whereever we go. Both countries excite us, but for different reasons and we need to work out what will be best in the long run for all of us (one in the tum!).
We are off early next year to visit both Canada and Oz and to see what it is really like. What kinds of things should we be looking out for? Obviously areas, amenities, schools, etc. Any tips as to where to start researching before we go?
Many thanks for your advice
Old Nov 5th 2004, 10:56 am
Just Joined

And thanks, Rhodes - I actually remember that Simpons episode where Bart was mesmerised by the swirling toilet water going around the other way!!
Mind you, I doubt it will really worry me as I don't spend much time gazing at loo water...