Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Where and When to Lodge PR Application

Where and When to Lodge PR Application

Old Dec 1st 2005, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

The Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of light
Default Where and When to Lodge PR Application

Hi -sorry if this has been answered a million times before (I did do a search but couldn't find an answer)...

My partner is hopefully about to receive a job offer and subsequent work permit, hence we will both be able to move out to Canada and I believe that I will then be able (as common law spouse) to apply for my own work permit when we are there.

As yet we haven't lodged our PR application, so I would be really grateful if someone could advise whether we should:
  1. Lodge PR application now, in the UK, and go with the points we have
  2. Wait for a job offer, hence more points, then lodge in the UK
  3. Wait until we have the work permit, and the lodge PR - is it possible to lodge in Canada if we are already living/working there?
  1. [*]
  2. [*]
  3. [*]

Or is it just a case of working through the pile of applications submitted in the order they are received?

Any advice/clarifications gratefully received - thanks.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

stephenbottcher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where and When to Lodge PR Application

Here are your short form answers

[*]Lodge PR application now, in the UK, and go with the points we have
Yes, you could, but ... (see below)
[*]Wait for a job offer, hence more points, then lodge in the UK
Yes
[*]Wait until we have the work permit, and the lodge PR - is it possible to lodge in Canada if we are already living/working there?
Yes
[*]higher points applications are processed faster?
NO
[*]applicants who have a job offer/work permit are processed faster?
NO
[*]applications from those already living in Canada are processed faster?
NO
[*]Or is it just a case of working through the pile of applications submitted in the order they are received?
YES

Have fun and read about my immigration experience (see link below) it will help you inderstand the process much better.

Stephen
Old Dec 1st 2005, 4:21 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

You cannot apply for PR visa in Canada - application must be submitted to proper visa post abroad.

If you have enough points now to reach or exceed current pass mark then apply now and don't waste time. You may add more evidence later to make your case stronger.

Number of points scored has absolutely nothing to do with peocessing time. But applications with arranged employment points are processed little bit faster by CHC London. Not all job offers and not all work permits qualify as arranged employment.

Originally Posted by The Escapea
Hi -sorry if this has been answered a million times before (I did do a search but couldn't find an answer)...

My partner is hopefully about to receive a job offer and subsequent work permit, hence we will both be able to move out to Canada and I believe that I will then be able (as common law spouse) to apply for my own work permit when we are there.

As yet we haven't lodged our PR application, so I would be really grateful if someone could advise whether we should:
  1. Lodge PR application now, in the UK, and go with the points we have
  2. Wait for a job offer, hence more points, then lodge in the UK
  3. Wait until we have the work permit, and the lodge PR - is it possible to lodge in Canada if we are already living/working there?
  1. [*]
  2. [*]
  3. [*]

Or is it just a case of working through the pile of applications submitted in the order they are received?

Any advice/clarifications gratefully received - thanks.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

stephenbottcher is an unknown quantity at this point

Andrew,

"Application to a visa post abroad " was a given to me, but you're right, those folks new to all that might not know it.
Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
But applications with arranged employment points are processed little bit faster by CHC London. Not all job offers and not all work permits qualify as arranged employment.
I remember you stating more than once, that there is no "fast track". Are you contradicting yourself or have the rules changed? Which work permits qualify? Don't encourage me too much: my processing started Dec 8, 2004 and I am still hoping for a max 18 months processing time until PR as my AOR letter stated nothing about minimum processing time. I am resident with family, own a house, working on a 3-yr work permit in a NOC0611 position.

So, were you contardicting yourself?

Later, Stephen
Old Dec 1st 2005, 5:51 am

I'm not contradicting anything. Things change all the time. Several visa posts implemented lately (after settlement cases were thrown back into process with highest priority) new processing priorities in SW class - (1) settlement cases, (2) PNP cases (3) federal SW cases with arranged employment and (4) federal SW cases without arranged employment. CHC London is one of those visa posts.

It is not work permit itself what makes difference - only applications qualifying for arranged employment points are the ones processed with higher priority.

Read section 10.14 of OP06 Manual here to see what qualifies for arranged employment points:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/manuals-guides/...h/op/op06e.pdf

Originally Posted by stephenbottcher
Andrew,

"Application to a visa post abroad " was a given to me, but you're right, those folks new to all that might not know it.

I remember you stating more than once, that there is no "fast track". Are you contradicting yourself or have the rules changed? Which work permits qualify? Don't encourage me too much: my processing started Dec 8, 2004 and I am still hoping for a max 18 months processing time until PR as my AOR letter stated nothing about minimum processing time. I am resident with family, own a house, working on a 3-yr work permit in a NOC0611 position.

So, were you contardicting yourself?

Later, Stephen
Old Dec 1st 2005, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

The Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for responses - they have helped clarify things.

Please can I just confirm then, that, assuming my partner receives a job offer and work permit (which will fall into either category O or A of the NOC) and we are living in Canada, then we would benefit from the additional 10 points for arranged employment, and also the application would be fast-tracked in London?
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 3:42 am

Read carefully the section of Manual I mentioned earlier to see if your partner's job offer and/or work permit will qualify for arranged employment points. Remember that only principal applicant's qualified arranged employment counts.

Originally Posted by The Escapea
Thanks for responses - they have helped clarify things.

Please can I just confirm then, that, assuming my partner receives a job offer and work permit (which will fall into either category O or A of the NOC) and we are living in Canada, then we would benefit from the additional 10 points for arranged employment, and also the application would be fast-tracked in London?