Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Where to start,solo, not through company, immigration canada

Where to start,solo, not through company, immigration canada

Old Oct 29th 2013, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

charpants83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to start,solo, not through company, immigration canada

Hi everyone, I am after some advice, I and my hubby are thinking of relocating to Canada, Regina , we currently live in England, Portsmouth. We been on a few holidays there and my hubbies dad lives there, he married a Canadian, she left him, he stayed and he is now a citizen and has been living there for 20 years, he's old now and he needs family, he has none out there. Anyway, we have no idea where to start!! we would like to go over on work permits as this is easier to return if we get too homesick. We have opened a bank account over there with his dad and started saving, my hubby has also been verbally offered a job while there, we are in the process of sending them his resume and hoping to get it written and then maybe get the labour market opinion????, my partner works in car body work as a paint sprayer and we know they are seeking them over there. Anyway we want to go solo doing this and not pay a company to help us, as we feel its cheaper this way, are we doing the right thing?, what other things do we need to do? I need a check list for this process as we have no idea what we are doing.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 3:58 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to start,solo, not through company, immigration canada

Originally Posted by charpants83
Hi everyone, I am after some advice, I and my hubby are thinking of relocating to Canada, Regina , we currently live in England, Portsmouth. We been on a few holidays there and my hubbies dad lives there, he married a Canadian, she left him, he stayed and he is now a citizen and has been living there for 20 years, he's old now and he needs family, he has none out there. Anyway, we have no idea where to start!! we would like to go over on work permits as this is easier to return if we get too homesick. We have opened a bank account over there with his dad and started saving, my hubby has also been verbally offered a job while there, we are in the process of sending them his resume and hoping to get it written and then maybe get the labour market opinion????, my partner works in car body work as a paint sprayer and we know they are seeking them over there. Anyway we want to go solo doing this and not pay a company to help us, as we feel its cheaper this way, are we doing the right thing?, what other things do we need to do? I need a check list for this process as we have no idea what we are doing.
So long as his father has no other family in Canada, he could sponsor his son.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 3:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Absolutely no need to use a consultant to help you with a TWP application - the employer has to do the LMO application anyway, and the TWP you can just get at the airport when you arrive (assuming you're UK citizens), so no need for you to even fill in any forms!

If your partner has a job offer then that's a great start, are the potential employer prepared to get the LMO application underway now? If so, that will take around 12-16 weeks so you could be out there early next year.

Have a look at the Wiki if you have any questions about the TWP process etc, and if you want a checklist for things to do, there's one of those as well -http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Departure_To_Do_List

HTH a bit, good luck.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Aviator
Does sponsoring involve his dad paying any money? would we have to live with him? iv not heard of sponsoring before.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, and welcome to BE.

Absolutely no need to use a consultant to help you with a TWP application - the employer has to do the LMO application anyway, and the TWP you can just get at the airport when you arrive (assuming you're UK citizens), so no need for you to even fill in any forms!

If your partner has a job offer then that's a great start, are the potential employer prepared to get the LMO application underway now? If so, that will take around 12-16 weeks so you could be out there early next year.

Have a look at the Wiki if you have any questions about the TWP process etc, and if you want a checklist for things to do, there's one of those as well -http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Departure_To_Do_List

HTH a bit, good luck.
Great, thanks, IL check that out, we only just found out about LMO, so unsure what the employer will say about this, I know its a lot of effort on there part.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 4:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Doesn't sound like they want to go for PR straight away though, although if they do then there's also the Manitoba PNP which the OP's father-in-law could 'sponsor' them under, so perhaps another one to look at.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 4:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Does sponsoring involve his dad paying any money? would we have to live with him? iv not heard of sponsoring before.
No money paid by his Dad (you'd pay the fees), and no, you wouldn't have to live with him (or even in the same province!).

But does your partner's dad have any other relatives at all in Canada?
Old Oct 29th 2013, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

Doesn't sound like they want to go for PR straight away though, although if they do then there's also the Manitoba PNP which the OP's father-in-law could 'sponsor' them under, so perhaps another one to look at.
Hi what is PR? sorry if I sound silly but I am new to this site, IL look into the Manitoba pnp too, thanks
Old Oct 29th 2013, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

No money paid by his Dad (you'd pay the fees), and no, you wouldn't have to live with him (or even in the same province!).

But does your partner's dad have any other relatives at all in Canada?
No, none at all, If this is an easier way IL look into it, we just didn't want him to be too involved as he's getting on in age and things stress him out
Old Oct 29th 2013, 4:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Hi what is PR? sorry if I sound silly but I am new to this site, IL look into the Manitoba pnp too, thanks
PR = Permanent Residency. It would cost a lot more and take a lot more time than a TWP, but obviously has many advantages over a temporary visa if you think you'll want to stay.

Both family class sponsorship and the Manitoba PNP would get you PR.

HTH (hope that helps!).
Old Oct 29th 2013, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

We don't want to go to live there straight away incase we don't like it because I know holidays are different to living somewhere so we just wanted a work permit first.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 4:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

No, none at all, If this is an easier way IL look into it, we just didn't want him to be too involved as he's getting on in age and things stress him out
It's certainly not going to be easier than a TWP application, but it would get you PR so you would be more secure. But if all you want to do is try it out for a while (if you're concerned about being homesick), then you could always do the TWP route and then apply for PR once you're there and sure you want to stay maybe?

No point spending a large amount of money on moving over permanently if you're not sure that's what you want.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

PR = Permanent Residency. It would cost a lot more and take a lot more time than a TWP, but obviously has many advantages over a temporary visa if you think you'll want to stay.

Both family class sponsorship and the Manitoba PNP would get you PR.

HTH (hope that helps!).
Thanks, IL look into it
Old Oct 29th 2013, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light

Huh? can't go through MPNP ..if the dad is living in Regina.. are you mixing up your Provinces?
Old Oct 29th 2013, 5:32 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by manitobain
Huh? can't go through MPNP ..if the dad is living in Regina.. are you mixing up your Provinces?
Actually if the father truly doesn't have any relatives in Canada. No spouse, his parents/grandparents deceased, and neither Aunt/Uncle/Brother/Sister/nephew/niece in Canada, then he can sponsor federally. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../relatives.asp Although depending on his income, he may not meet the LICO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.