Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Express Entry points help needed - spouse sponsorship vs single entry

Express Entry points help needed - spouse sponsorship vs single entry

Old Nov 12th 2017, 5:06 am
Just Joined

jammydo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Express Entry points help needed - spouse sponsorship vs single entry

I have been trawling this site for hours and I really need a hand in being pointed in the right direction.

I am British 29 yr old and my husband is Korean 35 yr old. We are both keen to immigrate to Canada by getting PR.

We both live in South Korea currently.

I started my EE profile (I am the main applicant) and have just received my IELTS results back and am just waiting on my WES report to be sent to me so that I can submit my application.

My main question is: should I enter my husbands information on my application?

My FSW points total up to be around 75 so I know I am eligible for that scheme. My NOCC is 1224 property administrator. Skill level B. I have full time experience in this for around 3 years.

I just did the CRS and my points seem to only total up to 264. If I add on the "foreign work experience" then it adds up to 364. (does this foreign work experience mean time spent outside your home country working in another country? I wasn't clear on this part)

Because of this, I am worried I don't have enough points to enter the pool for EE.

Am I right to be worried?
If I apply with my husband, it seems I get less points for everything and makes my score even less.

Furthermore, my husband does not have a degree and much (provable) work experience, so we won't be able to get any extra points for him applying with me.

Will this mean we won't be suitable candidates to go to Canada?

I am really worried and this is causing both of us a lot of stress and concern.

My husband wants to know what are the advantages and disadvantages of applying with him on my application vs me applying without him.

If I apply on my own and get a PR in a year or so, can I immediately apply to have him come to Canada on a spouse visa? (someone mentioned on facebook that a I would have to wait for 3 tax returns to be able to sponsor someone - if that is true then me sponsoring my husband like that is out of the question)

I did a brief (non paid) consultation with a friends recommended immigration lawyer and they seem to think I am a good candidate but they didn't ask much information about me to see if I am REALLY a good candidate. How can they know that I will actually get a PR before handing over 3000GBP? (non refundable on their T&C's)

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 12th 2017, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Express Entry points help needed - spouse sponsorship vs single entry

Originally Posted by jammydo
I have been trawling this site for hours and I really need a hand in being pointed in the right direction.

I am British 29 yr old and my husband is Korean 35 yr old. We are both keen to immigrate to Canada by getting PR.
Any particular reason for that?

I'm not actually being flippant. There are perfectly good reasons for wanting to move - but you two already have a choice of two countries (rather more, until 2019), and it isn't home for either one of you, so if you haven't worked, or studied there before, and your partner's not from there - any particular reason for wanting to move? It doesn't directly alter your position, but it might give a clue as to your situation and options (down to as granular as "My best friend is from Winnipeg", in which case "Oh, yes, if she's prepared to commit to helping you integrate, she can help you under the Manitoba Provincial Nomination program!").

My main question is: should I enter my husbands information on my application?
I believe (?) you can choose to apply as a couple, or as an individual, with a non-accompanying spouse (he would still need to undergo medical & police checks, etc). If you passed on that basis, you could land, and then sponsor him from inside Canada.

My FSW points total up to be around 75 so I know I am eligible for that scheme. My NOCC is 1224 property administrator. Skill level B. I have full time experience in this for around 3 years.

I just did the CRS and my points seem to only total up to 264. If I add on the "foreign work experience" then it adds up to 364. (does this foreign work experience mean time spent outside your home country working in another country? I wasn't clear on this part)
You've miscalculated. One of those isn't right. If you have 75 FSW points, you have more than 264 CRS points for sure, and I'd be surprised if you have as few as 364. How are you calculating them both?

'Foreign work experience' means 'any (skilled) work experience outside Canada'.

Because of this, I am worried I don't have enough points to enter the pool for EE.
If you have 75 FSW points (check - it's possible this is the one that's wrong, if you do only have 264 CRS points), you can enter the pool. But with even 364, you're not going to be drawn out of it.

Will this mean we won't be suitable candidates to go to Canada?

I am really worried and this is causing both of us a lot of stress and concern.
Tbh, this kinda goes back up to the above. Why does this matter so much to you, do you have a special connection, or drive? If you're only at the stage where you're working out your points, discovering you might not qualify shouldn't be causing you that much stress. That said, I wouldn't expect someone to have sent off for WES evaluation without knowing exactly what their points are either.

My husband wants to know what are the advantages and disadvantages of applying with him on my application vs me applying without him.
Different ways of calculating the points, as at Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) Criteria – Express Entry. Generally speaking, a partner with decent English/French, and a degree and work experience would probably mean a points boost, making it easier, having a partner on the app without those things would mean a points reduction, making it harder.

If I apply on my own and get a PR in a year or so, can I immediately apply to have him come to Canada on a spouse visa? (someone mentioned on facebook that a I would have to wait for 3 tax returns to be able to sponsor someone - if that is true then me sponsoring my husband like that is out of the question)
A PR of Canada can sponsor their partner under family class immigration. The person who mentioned 3 years was wrong, and was probably thinking of parental sponsorship (which requires 3 years tax returns showing income above the Low Income Cut Off). Spousal has no income requirement beyond not being bankrupt or on welfare.

I did a brief (non paid) consultation with a friends recommended immigration lawyer and they seem to think I am a good candidate but they didn't ask much information about me to see if I am REALLY a good candidate. How can they know that I will actually get a PR before handing over 3000GBP? (non refundable on their T&C's)

Thanks in advance
They can look at the exact same online calculators you can. They can't do anything more. And those websites are free (make sure you're doing your calculations using the ones on cic.gc.ca - stands for Citizenship&ImmigrationCanada.GovernmentofCanada.C anada - anything with a .com address, or a .ca without the .gc.ca is unofficial, and might be right or wrong, or old, etc).