Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

where to "land" from Vancouver island

where to "land" from Vancouver island

Old Jul 19th 2009, 9:09 am
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold
Default where to "land" from Vancouver island

Hi all,

I am hopefully on the last leg of my PR application now - just had medicals done so waiting. We applied to Buffalo as we are living on Vancouver island on a TWP at the moment.

My question is :- once we receive our PR I know we have to "land" where is the easiest place to land from if we live on the Island. Can we take the boat to Seattle and land on the way back??? or would we have to go to Vancouver and over the boarder by land??

Just trying to sort things out in advance - thanks
Old Jul 19th 2009, 10:27 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where to "land" from Vancouver island

Hi

Originally Posted by Tanah
Hi all,

I am hopefully on the last leg of my PR application now - just had medicals done so waiting. We applied to Buffalo as we are living on Vancouver island on a TWP at the moment.

My question is :- once we receive our PR I know we have to "land" where is the easiest place to land from if we live on the Island. Can we take the boat to Seattle and land on the way back??? or would we have to go to Vancouver and over the boarder by land??

Just trying to sort things out in advance - thanks

Phone the call centre, make an appointment to "land" at either the Victoria or the Nanaimo (if it still staffed) CIC. If you do the ferry to Seattle, and back, you still will end up being referred to the Victoria office for "landing", no facilities for "landing" at the dock.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by PMM
If you do the ferry to Seattle, and back, you still will end up being referred to the Victoria office for "landing", no facilities for "landing" at the dock.
Interesting information. I was think of having my wife land by entering a very small VERY quiet land border crossing, but it sounds like that might not work.

Is there possibly a list of land border crossings when you can land on entering Canada?
Old Jul 19th 2009, 5:43 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by bewillow
Interesting information. I was think of having my wife land by entering a very small VERY quiet land border crossing, but it sounds like that might not work.

Is there possibly a list of land border crossings when you can land on entering Canada?
Small ports, such as Aldergrove don't have Immigration services. Here is the list of border ports. http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/l...xtype38-e.html
Old Jul 19th 2009, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

Super to have this list. Thanks!
Old Jul 20th 2009, 2:30 pm
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold

HI PMM

Thanks for that advice - might save us some money too. I didnt realise you could just phone CIC and make arrangements to " land".... I looked at the list you linked and theres one atthe airport in Victoria... is this the one i contact?/.. Its closest to me but i didnt see a nanaimo one either...

JO

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Phone the call centre, make an appointment to "land" at either the Victoria or the Nanaimo (if it still staffed) CIC. If you do the ferry to Seattle, and back, you still will end up being referred to the Victoria office for "landing", no facilities for "landing" at the dock.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 3:06 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi

HI PMM

Thanks for that advice - might save us some money too. I didnt realise you could just phone CIC and make arrangements to " land".... I looked at the list you linked and theres one atthe airport in Victoria... is this the one i contact?/.. Its closest to me but i didnt see a nanaimo one either...

JO
You can't "land" at an airport, unless you are flying international. Nanaimo and Victoria CICs are considered inland CIC, so are not under the jurisdiction of CBSA Port of Entry. It is a complicated situation where there used to be Customs (Revenue Canada, Customs) and Immigration (CIC) at Ports of Entry, the two services were joined. But later CBSA took over the Immigration enforcement functions inland, but there is a separate Customs and Immigration enforcement section, but now both work for CBSA. CIC has inland offices as such, an example is Kelowna where there are two Enforcement officers (CBSA) 1 Immigration and 1 Citizenship officer, CIC.

So if you phone the call centre, they will make the appointment, either at Victoria, or Nanaimo (if there is still a CIC officer there)

Here is a listing of the "Immigration Offices" in BC http://www.capic.ca/newsfiles/editio...ter%202008.pdf

Last edited by PMM; Jul 20th 2009 at 3:08 pm. Reason: info
Old Jul 20th 2009, 3:09 pm
is Happy

ahhh ok - well im sorry to ask the next stupid question lol - but what am i actually looking up?/ if its CIC i just get the main CIC website or am i looking for CBSA in Victoria... or is it just immigration services?

sorry to sound like such a muppet

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

You can't "land" at an airport, unless you are flying international. Nanaimo and Victoria CICs are considered inland CIC, so are not under the jurisdiction of CBSA Port of Entry. It is a complicated situation where there used to be Customs (Revenue Canada, Customs) and Immigration (CIC) at Ports of Entry, the two services were joined. But later CBSA took over the Immigration enforcement functions inland, but there is a separate Customs and Immigration enforcement section, but now both work for CBSA. CIC has inland offices as such, an example is Kelowna where there are two Enforcement officers (CBSA) 1 Immigration and 1 Citizenship officer, CIC.

So if you phone the call centre, they will make the appointment, either at Victoria, or Nanaimo (if there is still a CIC officer there)
Old Jul 20th 2009, 3:49 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

ahhh ok - well im sorry to ask the next stupid question lol - but what am i actually looking up?/ if its CIC i just get the main CIC website or am i looking for CBSA in Victoria... or is it just immigration services?

sorry to sound like such a muppet
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/l...xtype38-e.html

or call these guys.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/call.asp
Old Jul 20th 2009, 5:35 pm
is Happy

thanks Aviator - i will try the second link i think

Old Sep 3rd 2009, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute

Just for Info.......I accompanied my brother down to Nanaimo from Black Creek to 'Land' at the CIC office without an appointment and we were in and out within 20 minutes. We then went to the Services Canada office within the same building and he applied for his SIN. After that we walked to the Border Services office in the basement and he handed over his 'Goods to follow' list. Very easy.