British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   where do we start! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/where-do-we-start-572266/)

krissi Nov 10th 2008 12:28 pm

where do we start!

my fiance and i would like to start our applications to move to canada! but we have no idea where to start! what kind of visa is best for us etc! can any one recommend someone or company to go through? thank you kristin

Elaine B. Nov 10th 2008 12:34 pm

Re: where do we start!

Originally Posted by krissi (Post 6958511)
my fiance and i would like to start our applications to move to canada! but we have no idea where to start! what kind of visa is best for us etc! can any one recommend someone or company to go through? thank you kristin

Hi Kristin

Welcome to BE nice to see another Northern Irish girl on the site, there are a few of us around:thumbsup:

Anyway it looks like you've got a bit of research to do this is a great site with lots of information. Start here in the wiki:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick_...an_Immigration

I'm sure there will be a few other people along to help shortly.:)

christmasoompa Nov 10th 2008 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by krissi (Post 6958511)

Hi Kristin and welcome. :)

Which visa to go for will depend on your circumstances (i.e. if you have close Canadian family, could transfer to a Canadian office with work, etc), read the Wiki link that Elaine gave you and then you can tell us which route you think you'll need to take and ask any questions about it.

As far as recommending a company to 'go through', what do you mean? Do you mean an immigration consultant? You are very unlikely to need one unless your circumstances are very complicated. Most people on here do it themselves so save yourselves the fees and just use this website for help instead!!

Good luck. :)

christmasoompa Nov 10th 2008 1:06 pm

Sorry, just a thought but you mentioned your fiance - to be able to go to Canada on the same visa application you need to have lived together for at least one year, and provide proof of that. Just thought I'd mention it in case you don't already live together! :)

krissi Nov 10th 2008 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Elaine B. (Post 6958529)
Hi Kristin

Welcome to BE nice to see another Northern Irish girl on the site, there are a few of us around:thumbsup:

Anyway it looks like you've got a bit of research to do this is a great site with lots of information. Start here in the wiki:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick_...an_Immigration

I'm sure there will be a few other people along to help shortly.:)

hi Elaine!
thanks for that, had a look and got a little bit of info.
chris my fiance is an electrical engineer and im a beauty therapist. We dont live together and we arent getting married until october next year. We dont plan to go to canada until after the wedding. Do you think its best to apply when we are married? thanks
kristin

Elaine B. Nov 11th 2008 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by krissi (Post 6959628)
hi Elaine!
chris my fiance is an electrical engineer and im a beauty therapist. We dont live together and we arent getting married until october next year. We dont plan to go to canada until after the wedding. Do you think its best to apply when we are married? thanks
kristin

Best thing to do is dump your fiance and marry a nice Canadian boy;) Seriously though if you're not living together it's probably more straight forward to apply as as married couple but I'm sure someone a lot more knowledgeable than I will be along with some advice.:thumbsup:

delsol79 Nov 11th 2008 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by krissi (Post 6959628)
hi Elaine!
kristin

Hey - I think the best thing to do is try to find work first and get a work permit and then apply when out there. Or perhaps look at getting a years BUNAC visa and going from there?

Unless something has changed there is currently a freeze on applications without work until they release a list of skilled jobs which are in demand.

Also it depends how long before you would want to move, old applications were taking 4-5 years without jobs.

Good luck.