where do we start

Old Oct 29th 2008, 8:30 am
Just Joined

barclay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default where do we start

morning or good evening guys ,
after a great deal of thought , we have decided to try our luck at living in canada... as i understand it the process is long and weary but worth it in the end . can any one give me some advice on taking our first steps in starting the ball or puck rolling ....
have a great , or night
Old Oct 29th 2008, 8:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where do we start

Hi and welcome!

Your first step needs to be to understand the immigration process - this Wiki article will help get you started, do shout with any questions once you've read it......................http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick_...an_Immigration

Put simply, the Skilled Worker visa (that I'm guessing you were referring to when you said 'long and weary' as processing time at the beginning of this year had reached 5-8 years) is currently on hold and it's due to be changed soon, which will mean any applications without arranged employment or not in occupations in demand will simply be rejected. So you need to find a job to stand any chance of getting to Canada, unless you are in an occupation in demand (unfortunately the list of those occupations is not yet known as it hasn't been released!). These articles from the Wiki............http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Labour_Shortages and ............http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Immigr...imeline-Canada are also well worth a read - do follow the link on the latter page to the Job Hunting section as well.

What is your occupation? That may help us tell you of your chances in getting to Canada.

And the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) has loads of other info for you. Have fun reading!

Good luck.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 9:19 am
Just Joined

oh boy, seems fairly staight forward
i think its gonna be fun to say the least . i get the feeling the job offers would be for jobs no one wants not just canadians . my wife works in the nhs as a surgical secretary and has done for 18 years . i myself own a carpet retail shop and warehouse . this i think may be my down fall as there are no qualifications neede for my industry . i will read on

many many thanks for taking the time to reply

kind regards barclay
Old Oct 29th 2008, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barclay
oh boy, seems fairly staight forward
i think its gonna be fun to say the least . i get the feeling the job offers would be for jobs no one wants not just canadians . my wife works in the nhs as a surgical secretary and has done for 18 years . i myself own a carpet retail shop and warehouse . this i think may be my down fall as there are no qualifications neede for my industry . i will read on

many many thanks for taking the time to reply

kind regards barclay
Hi barclay,

Think of yourself as a Retail Trade Manager and suddenly, you have skills that are part of an Occupation Under Pressure in Alberta (and possibly other provinces).
http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/en/workplaces...bouplist.shtml
Christmasoompas advice, as always, is good...have a good read around the subject. We suspect you may find more opportunities to get over here in a reasonable timeframe than might seem the case to you at present.

Kind regards,

Eamonn & Janet.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

ohhhhh , i never thought of that , i will read on and keep you posted .. all journeys start with the first step and i feel i just made it .
thanks for your advice and i made need more im afraid... if thats ok

kind regards barclay and jo
Old Oct 29th 2008, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barclay
ohhhhh , i never thought of that , i will read on and keep you posted .. all journeys start with the first step and i feel i just made it .
thanks for your advice and i made need more im afraid... if thats ok

kind regards barclay and jo
Hi barclay and jo,

Absolutely no problem...ask away...there will likely always be someone on here who knows the answer.

Have you figured out where in Canada appeals to you most (although following where the work is might not be a bad strategy)? Just had a quick look back at some of your past posts and can see you have visited Ottawa and were thinking of a trip out to the more western reaches of Canada in April...did you manage to make that trip and if so, how are your thoughts shaping up?

Kind regards,

Eamonn & Janet.