Where do i stand.........

Old Apr 16th 2008, 8:46 am
Just Joined

Bluebird101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where do i stand.........

Im engaged to a wonderful canadian man and obviously we want to be together in order to buy a home and get married.

Only problem is im in the UK and hes in Canada!

We have known each other for 7 years now and obviously the distance has really put our plans on hold but both of us now think its time to get our acts together.

Where do i stand on emigrating because everything i have looked at says that because i dont fall in to skilled workers, member of my family over there already etc etc it could be a further 5 years.

Any help would be appriciated.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

Island_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud of
Default Re: Where do i stand.........

once you get married he can sponsor you as a spouse and it can take less than 6 months.

Island Girl
Old Apr 16th 2008, 9:01 am
Just Joined

We wanted to live together before getting married i have just been looking in to conjugal partners and maybe we could do that.

I fly out there in 28 days to spend 3 weeks with him so looks like we will be applying then so i need as much information as possible.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 9:09 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluebird101
Im engaged to a wonderful canadian man and obviously we want to be together in order to buy a home and get married.

Only problem is im in the UK and hes in Canada!

We have known each other for 7 years now and obviously the distance has really put our plans on hold but both of us now think its time to get our acts together.

Where do i stand on emigrating because everything i have looked at says that because i dont fall in to skilled workers, member of my family over there already etc etc it could be a further 5 years.

Any help would be appriciated.
If you get married, your husband could sponsor your permanent residence (PR) visa application. If you were to submit your PR application to the Canadian High Commission in London it might take you, say, six months to get PR status. You could go and live in Canada as a visitor in the interim, but you wouldn't be allowed to work until you got PR status.

Your fiance can't sponsor you as a common-law partner, because I take it you haven't been living together in a conjugal relationship (and sharing household expenses, etc.) for a minimum of 12 months.

Also, even if you do get married and then submit sponsorship and PR applications, I recommend against submitting inland applications. Technically you could do it. In theory this method would have the advantage that, once your application reached the approval in principle (AIP) stage, you'd be eligible for a spousal open work permit. It's not worth it, however, because getting to the AIP stage of an inland application usually takes as long as it takes to get full PR status if you apply via London.

The only disadvantage of applying via London is that, in the event they ask you to attend an interview, that interview will have to take place in London. If you're living in Canada at that point, getting to London for the interview will be an extra expense.

I've just read your comment about conjugal relationships. You can't apply via that route. It's only available to people who have not been able to live together because of political reasons and stuff like that.

Hope that helps.
x
Old Apr 16th 2008, 9:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
If you get married, your husband could sponsor your permanent residence (PR) visa application. If you were to submit your PR application to the Canadian High Commission in London it might take you, say, six months to get PR status. You could go and live in Canada as a visitor in the interim, but you wouldn't be allowed to work until you got PR status.

Your fiance can't sponsor you as a common-law partner, because I take it you haven't been living together in a conjugal relationship (and sharing household expenses, etc.) for a minimum of 12 months.

Also, even if you do get married and then submit sponsorship and PR applications, I recommend against submitting inland applications. Technically you could do it. In theory this method would have the advantage that, once your application reached the approval in principle (AIP) stage, you'd be eligible for a spousal open work permit. It's not worth it, however, because getting to the AIP stage of an inland application usually takes as long as it takes to get full PR status if you apply via London.

The only disadvantage of applying via London is that, in the event they ask you to attend an interview, that interview will have to take place in London. If you're living in Canada at that point, getting to London for the interview will be an extra expense.

I've just read your comment about conjugal relationships. You can't apply via that route. It's only available to people who have not been able to live together because of political reasons and stuff like that.

Hope that helps.
x
Hiya thanks for that information.

Looks like were gonna have to sit down and really talk about it when i see him. We didnt want to have to get married so quickly but if its the only way we can be together then we dont really have a choice.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

bhalerao is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Bluebird101
We wanted to live together before getting married i have just been looking in to conjugal partners and maybe we could do that.

I fly out there in 28 days to spend 3 weeks with him so looks like we will be applying then so i need as much information as possible.
Naughty, naughty... eh? No hanky panky business before getting married....... My friend applied for his wife's PR. It took him about 68 days...

cheers