Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Where can I get records of movement?

Where can I get records of movement?

Old Aug 8th 2013, 1:05 am
BE Enthusiast

lucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant future
Default Where can I get records of movement?

Hi There

I have received a residency questionnaire (RQ) as part of my citizenship application and am finding it difficult to find out how to get a record of movements from the UK government.

I was informed my the Passport Office that I should contact the Disclosing of Information Office in Peterborough which I did but they have just me a letter and my cheque back saying they cannot provide this info.

They gave me the contact info of the UK Border Agency who I have emailed and tried to call but it is impossible to speak to anyone and emails are responded to within 20 days!!!

Due to having to submit the RQ and all docs within 45 days, I can't wait this long so if anyone has experience of this issue and which government dept can help me with this, please let me know.

Many thanks

Lucy
Old Aug 8th 2013, 2:15 am
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where can I get records of movement?

Try here:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/na...personal-data/

But don't expect too much from the UK Border Agency - it (or rather its predecessor) was famously described as 'not fit for purpose', and the whole organisation is in the middle of being scrapped:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21941395
Old Aug 8th 2013, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't send one - I just wrote that I couldn't get it as the UK does not keep these records and provided all the info re: trips outside Canada as they requested on the form.

Good luck,

Adele
Old Aug 8th 2013, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

That's good to know, adele. How did you discover that the UK doesn't keep these records?
Old Aug 9th 2013, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

lucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant future

Thanks for the replies Flyingdutchman and Adele.

Just going to put in letter I got back from the Disclosing Information department and will also mention in covering letter that have tried to get in touch with UK Border agency and not able to gain this info.

Will let you know if causes any problems and keep me updated on your application Adele!

Thanks again

Lucy
Old Aug 10th 2013, 3:31 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Surely a subject access request is the same thing?

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/na...personal-data/
Old Aug 16th 2013, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Sorry for my late reply to the post-have been on holiday.

I did see the SAR info but decided to call the passport office to double check where to get info and they gave me info for Disclosing of Information Office in Peterborough who then of course replied saying they did not have this info!

Due to the timescale of sending back info, am just going to state that I tried to get info and include letter as proof and hopefully that will be ok. I really resent having to gather all this info when they can easily check at with Canadian border for it.

Oh well!!!

Thanks again for all your replies.
Old Aug 16th 2013, 7:32 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lucycrow
Sorry for my late reply to the post-have been on holiday.

I did see the SAR info but decided to call the passport office to double check where to get info and they gave me info for Disclosing of Information Office in Peterborough who then of course replied saying they did not have this info!

Due to the timescale of sending back info, am just going to state that I tried to get info and include letter as proof and hopefully that will be ok. I really resent having to gather all this info when they can easily check at with Canadian border for it.

Oh well!!!

Thanks again for all your replies.
That is a subject access request which is sent to Peterborough. You can request all information being held in relation to a passport.

"Information in your passport/identity card record
If you want information relating to your passport/identity card record, it will help us to locate your details if you can tell us your passport/identity card number, where and when it was issued and any other information that may be relevant (such as whether you have reported it lost or stolen)"

This is the form:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ss-request.pdf

Strange they said it wasn't available.

Old Aug 17th 2013, 11:47 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Most countries don't register the movements of their own citizens into and out of the country.