Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

where to apply, simplified process, and self-employed question

where to apply, simplified process, and self-employed question

Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

linlin05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default where to apply, simplified process, and self-employed question

Hi,
I'm thinking of trying for a visa to Canada. Someone in another thread said I should apply from the country of my birth (US), but the CIC website indicates I should apply from the country that I've been a resident for over the last year (UK)? I'm confused!! Can anyone help clarify?

I see on the CIC website there is a "simplified application" vs. "regular application" process. Can anyone explain the difference between these two?

Last, I could qualified as self-employed (under entrepreneur/investor/self-employed), or a skilled worker. Does one tend to be faster than the other? I've heard applications can take many years to process.

all good wishes,

linlin

Last edited by linlin05; Jan 21st 2009 at 2:18 pm. Reason: forgot to add third question
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:34 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where to apply, simplified process, and self-employed question

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...77#post7196077
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by linlin05
Hi,
I'm thinking of trying for a visa to Canada. Someone in another thread said I should apply from the country of my birth (US), but the CIC website indicates I should apply from the country that I've been a resident for over the last year (UK)? I'm confused!! Can anyone help clarify?

I see on the CIC website there is a "simplified application" vs. "regular application" process. Can anyone explain the difference between these two?

Last, I could qualified as self-employed (under entrepreneur/investor/self-employed), or a skilled worker. Does one tend to be faster than the other? I've heard applications can take many years to process.

all good wishes,

linlin
I didn't realise you'd been resident in the UK for at least a year - in which case you can apply from either the US or the UK I believe.

I didn't think the simplified application existed anymore for SW's since they introduced the changes to the SW visa requirements, but could well be wrong.

And lastly, no idea about the entrepreneur route (it's not a common route due to the cost so you're unlikely to find anybody on here that's done it), but the SW route takes 6-12 months.

Old Jan 21st 2009, 5:22 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I didn't realise you'd been resident in the UK for at least a year - in which case you can apply from either the US or the UK I believe.

I didn't think the simplified application existed anymore for SW's since they introduced the changes to the SW visa requirements, but could well be wrong.

And lastly, no idea about the entrepreneur route (it's not a common route due to the cost so you're unlikely to find anybody on here that's done it), but the SW route takes 6-12 months.

1. There is no longer the SAP (Simplified Application Program) it is FSW 1/2/3
Your work experience is on the "list of 38" for FSW 1 or you are working in Canada on a work permit or you have an approved AEO from an Employer in Canada.
2. It is not residing for a year in another country that allows you to apply to the CHC servicing that country (as well as your country of normal residence) it being ADMITTED for 1 year. It has to be a year, not 6 months and then a 6 month extension.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

PMM, what does "admitted" mean? I've been here in the UK on a permit-free employment visa for 3 years, but are you saying admitted means something else -- perhaps having gotten Indefinite Leave to Remain or citizenship?

If that's the case, then would that mean that I can't apply for a Canadian visa? It has been over three years since I lived in the US!

With thanks,

linlin
Old Jan 21st 2009, 6:52 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

PMM, what does "admitted" mean? I've been here in the UK on a permit-free employment visa for 3 years, but are you saying admitted means something else -- perhaps having gotten Indefinite Leave to Remain or citizenship?

If that's the case, then would that mean that I can't apply for a Canadian visa? It has been over three years since I lived in the US!

With thanks,

linlin
"Admitted" in Immigration speak, means that when you had your passport stamped on your initial entry at an airport by Immigration/Customs you are given a certain period of time to remain, without applying for an extension. For example visitor to Canada are normally given 6 months on entry and the US normally gives 3 months, UK 6 months. A Temporary working in Canada may get up to 3 years on admission.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

Got it. Appreciate the translation. So it'd be the UK that I'd apply from.

Sounds like the first option is Skilled Worker (SW) which would take 6-12 months. Is that only for people with skills on the "38 list"?

Or to go the self-employed route under cultural activities, though I'm not sure how long that would take. Presumably longer.

really appreciate the sharing of expertise here. It's feels very supportive.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 8:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like the first option is Skilled Worker (SW) which would take 6-12 months. Is that only for people with skills on the "38 list"?
Yes, or those with a job offer. If you don't fall into one of those two categories then you wouldn't be eligible, and if you do then you also need to make sure you have the requisite points on the self assessment test on CIC's website (you need 67 or more, all based on education, work experience, language skills, etc).

No idea about the self-employed route though, not something I know anything about and I'm not sure any on here would do as it's not something I know anybody else has done. But might be worth a quick search (top right) to see if it's been discussed before.

Good luck.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 8:41 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I went the self employed route, but via a work permit rather than the entrepreneur route.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 8:58 pm

tinytears is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by R I C H
I went the self employed route, but via a work permit rather than the entrepreneur route.
This is the route I'm going down as well.

It is a very little publicised route, not much info on it so if you want any details please feel free to pm me and I'll be glad to help if I can, not that I'm an expert but am beginning to get my head around what is required.