When we arrive for good ?

Old Oct 22nd 2009, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

jenny28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default When we arrive for good ?

This should be an exciting time for us but I find myself a little apprehensive to be honest.
After applying for Permanent Residence in 2004 we finally had a successful outcome in August 2007.
What a long journey that was.
Our medicals took place in June 2007. We knew that we had to 'land' within 12 months of the medicals so, following the medicals (but before we had officially been told we had been successful) we put our house on the market.
Unfortunately, that was just about the time the housing market collapsed over here.
Shortly afterwards we found out our application had been successful but we then had the problem of selling the house.
This took a lot longer than we had ever expected (because we hadn't planned for a ressession).
It became clear we were not going to be able to sell the house before our 'landing' deadline.
So, in May 2008, we went over and 'landed'.
It was never our intention to land and then return to the UK, but we needed more time to sell the house.
By landing, we had bought ourselves more time.
We knew that, once landed, we would have to reside on Canadian soil for a period of at least 730 days within a five year period to maintain our Permanent Residence status. This left us with 3 years to sell the house and get back, although we hoped to get back long before the 3 year maximum permitted time.

We landed on May 2nd 2008 so our absolute maximum deadline was May 2nd 2011.
When we landed we presented our goods to follow list and our proof of funds.
We stayed for 2 weeks and returned to the UK on May 13, 2008.
Our PR cards arrived a couple of weeks later (to a Canadian friends house) and he sent them to us, so we now have those too.
Anyway, recently we sold our house and we are now planning to move to Canada (for good) in March 2010.
We have informed our employers of our plans and told friends and family.

I guess I'm just starting to worry a bit that we've crossed all the T's and dotted all the I's.
I'm sure we've done everything right but it all seems a bit surreal now.
I guess it's been so long coming I didn't know how I would feel at this point. It feels a bit surreal.

When we land in March, do we just go through Customs like anybody else (returning Canadians, People on holiday) or do we need to go somewhere else or declare anything to anyone ?
Do we show our PR Cards ?
Would we need to show 'proof of funds' again or our goods to follow list, both of which we showed when we landed in May 2008.

Have I missed anything or am I just being paranoid ?
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When we arrive for good ?

Originally Posted by jenny28
When we land in March, do we just go through Customs like anybody else (returning Canadians, People on holiday) or do we need to go somewhere else or declare anything to anyone ?
Do we show our PR Cards ?
Would we need to show 'proof of funds' again or our goods to follow list, both of which we showed when we landed in May 2008.

Have I missed anything or am I just being paranoid ?
You will go through immigration as a returning resident. Present your PR cards to Immigration Officer and you will be fine.
You do not need to show proof of funds again and no-one will be interested in your Goods to Follow list unless you are taking some of the items listed with you when you arrive in Canada.

You will need your Goods to Follow list whenever you transport any items listed on it into Canada.

And you will have until May 13, 2011 in which to return, not May 2, 2011, based on what you have stated. The two weeks you previously spent in Canada will count towards your 730.

Chillax
Old Nov 27th 2009, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

jenny28 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to be a pain with this.
I've been reading a guide called the Newcomers Introduction to Canada.
It says that when you travel to Canada you need the following documents :

A Canadian immigrant visa and confirmation or Permanent Residence for each family member travelling with you.

Now I have (for each of us) a piece of paper from Citizenship and Immigration Canada which says at the top Confirmation of Permanent Residence, so I'm assuming that is that (it has details about us on it and it was filled in by the Immigration Officer when we landed then handed back to us, although it does say on it Not Valid for Travel).

Where would I find my Canadian immigrant visa ?
We got stamps in our passports when we landed on May 2nd 2008

We also have Visas in our passports (put in there by London) in July 2007 but they expired in June 2008. Are these the Canadian immigrant visa's they refer to ? Obviously these have expired now but we landed before they expired so how important are they now ?
I'd hate to get there and get turned away, but we have our pr cards so don't the pr cards negate the need for the Confirmation of Permanent Residence and the visa's ?

I'm sure I'm just being paranoid but I'd sooner be sure before I quit my job.
I tried to phone Loondon to ask about this but no chance.
Can someone put my mind at ease please ?
Old Nov 27th 2009, 5:00 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by jenny28
Sorry to be a pain with this.
I've been reading a guide called the Newcomers Introduction to Canada.
It says that when you travel to Canada you need the following documents :

A Canadian immigrant visa and confirmation or Permanent Residence for each family member travelling with you.

Now I have (for each of us) a piece of paper from Citizenship and Immigration Canada which says at the top Confirmation of Permanent Residence, so I'm assuming that is that (it has details about us on it and it was filled in by the Immigration Officer when we landed then handed back to us, although it does say on it Not Valid for Travel).

Where would I find my Canadian immigrant visa ?
We got stamps in our passports when we landed on May 2nd 2008

We also have Visas in our passports (put in there by London) in July 2007 but they expired in June 2008. Are these the Canadian immigrant visa's they refer to ? Obviously these have expired now but we landed before they expired so how important are they now ?
I'd hate to get there and get turned away, but we have our pr cards so don't the pr cards negate the need for the Confirmation of Permanent Residence and the visa's ?

I'm sure I'm just being paranoid but I'd sooner be sure before I quit my job.
I tried to phone Loondon to ask about this but no chance.
Can someone put my mind at ease please ?
1. The Newcomers guide is for Immigrants who haven't "landed" you have "landed" and have your PR cards in hand. That is all that you need.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

Since you are a returning resident of Canada who has not lived there for more than a year, you can also bring personal possessions. These can be carried with you or shipped as “goods to follow”.