When to transition from TWP to PR

Old Mar 3rd 2018, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

fourspoon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default When to transition from TWP to PR

Would appreciate the advice of the forum once again.

I am currently enjoying life in Canada and have been here on a TWP for 7 months now. The wife and I have decided we want to settle permanently so obviously the next step is to consider PR applications.

My TWP is for 3 years so there is no immediate rush but I would like the flexibility to consider changing employers at some point, which I currently cannot on the WP I have.

So what is the best route to exchange a TWP for PR? Is there a benefit to waiting to apply until we have been in Canada for a full year, or two years?
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 10:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When to transition from TWP to PR

Originally Posted by fourspoon View Post
Would appreciate the advice of the forum once again.

I am currently enjoying life in Canada and have been here on a TWP for 7 months now. The wife and I have decided we want to settle permanently so obviously the next step is to consider PR applications.

My TWP is for 3 years so there is no immediate rush but I would like the flexibility to consider changing employers at some point, which I currently cannot on the WP I have.

So what is the best route to exchange a TWP for PR? Is there a benefit to waiting to apply until we have been in Canada for a full year, or two years?
IMHO after 12 months of working in Canada the Canadian Experience Class route for PR is open to you as well. In this day and age I would apply as soon as eligible if serious about staying and even if you change your mind you could still work until the end of the 3 year TWP and you can return back to the UK.
Nothing lost nothing gained.
Old Mar 4th 2018, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you, so the CEC class route for PR is likely to be a better chance of acceptance than if I just apply via EE right now? Or can I do both and update to a CEC application after 12 months if I haven't been accepted by then?
Old Mar 4th 2018, 10:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, so the CEC class route for PR is likely to be a better chance of acceptance than if I just apply via EE right now? Or can I do both and update to a CEC application after 12 months if I haven't been accepted by then?
It’s not a case of a better chance of acceptance because you’d then be eligible to apply under CEC, it’s that you’d have more points. But as FL has said, if you’re eligible and scoring enough now, I’d apply sooner rather than later personally.

What is your CRS score?
Old Mar 5th 2018, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Current CRS is 448 (Assuming good language test scores which we haven't taken yet).

Adding a year's employment makes the score 496.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 5:54 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Current CRS is 448 (Assuming good language test scores which we haven't taken yet).

Adding a year's employment makes the score 496.
FWIW I'd take the language tests now. If you come out with 448 you've got a very good chance but with 496, it's a certainty and the language results will still be valid after 5 more months.

On edit: a near certainty. Also, I'm assuming you don't lose age points in the meantime.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Mar 5th 2018 at 6:01 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, yes agreed, I'm going to book CELPIP for myself and spouse in the next few weeks.

Sorry to add a slightly unrelated question, but I'm trying to work out what i should put for the 'skilled work experience in Canada' question.

I have been working for a Canadian company for nearly 4 years, although I was based in the UK until August 2017, when I moved to Canada via an ICT TWP. The company does not have a UK branch or office, I was contracted directly by the Canadian office and managed their affairs in Europe.

I assumed that only my experience since physically moving to Canada would count in this question, but a thread here http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...estion-888921/ seems to suggest that just being on the payroll of a Canadian company counts as experience for the purposes of this question....

Thanks again
Old Mar 5th 2018, 7:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, yes agreed, I'm going to book CELPIP for myself and spouse in the next few weeks.

Sorry to add a slightly unrelated question, but I'm trying to work out what i should put for the 'skilled work experience in Canada' question.

I have been working for a Canadian company for nearly 4 years, although I was based in the UK until August 2017, when I moved to Canada via an ICT TWP. The company does not have a UK branch or office, I was contracted directly by the Canadian office and managed their affairs in Europe.

I assumed that only my experience since physically moving to Canada would count in this question, but a thread here http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...estion-888921/ seems to suggest that just being on the payroll of a Canadian company counts as experience for the purposes of this question....

Thanks again
Only work actually done in Canada counts, so from August in your case.

HTH.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
Only work actually done in Canada counts, so from August in your case.

HTH.
Yes, thanks for clearing that up, maybe getting myself a little optimistic
Old Oct 17th 2018, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

Just thought I'd update this old thread with our experience and results now its all done.

I started gathering the required documents and doing all the tests (language, medicals, education assessments, police reports etc etc) straight away after this thread in March but in the end everything took so long to get done, I'd been in Canada for almost a year when I was ready to submit the PR application.

So using the CEC class we scored 472 points and received an ITA after just a week or so after submitting. Since I had all the required documents and information prepared I submitted almost straight away and surprisingly our CoPR came back in just 21 days. From what I had read I was expecting more like 3-6 months! We drove out to the border at Sarnia on a Sunday afternoon and crossed over to the US, did some shopping and came back, activating our PR when we crossed back into Canada. We are still waiting for our actual PR cards but apparently its normal for that to take a long time.

I am so grateful to the help and advice I found on this forum, both questions I asked and reading the experiences of others. I'll stick around and help others where I can.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 7:41 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I'd update this old thread with our experience and results now its all done.

I started gathering the required documents and doing all the tests (language, medicals, education assessments, police reports etc etc) straight away after this thread in March but in the end everything took so long to get done, I'd been in Canada for almost a year when I was ready to submit the PR application.

So using the CEC class we scored 472 points and received an ITA after just a week or so after submitting. Since I had all the required documents and information prepared I submitted almost straight away and surprisingly our CoPR came back in just 21 days. From what I had read I was expecting more like 3-6 months! We drove out to the border at Sarnia on a Sunday afternoon and crossed over to the US, did some shopping and came back, activating our PR when we crossed back into Canada. We are still waiting for our actual PR cards but apparently its normal for that to take a long time.

I am so grateful to the help and advice I found on this forum, both questions I asked and reading the experiences of others. I'll stick around and help others where I can.
Congratulations! Next step will be applying for and getting your Canadian Passport; now that really is a curious experience! Even after all the years, whenever I travel and pull out my Canadian Passport (which is frequently) I look at it with wonder and awe!
Old Oct 17th 2018, 8:36 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

WOAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Huge congrats and welcome to Canada eh!!

Do stay around! We've some off topic chitchat in the Maple Leaf forum.. or general info and questions about Canada in the main Canada forum... and there's 'non-Canada' stuff elsewhere on BE
Attached Thumbnails When to transition from TWP to PR-welcome_to_canada.jpg  
Old Oct 18th 2018, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

Thanks!!!