British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   When to transition from TWP to PR (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/when-transition-twp-pr-909941/)

fourspoon Mar 3rd 2018 9:35 pm

When to transition from TWP to PR

Would appreciate the advice of the forum once again.

I am currently enjoying life in Canada and have been here on a TWP for 7 months now. The wife and I have decided we want to settle permanently so obviously the next step is to consider PR applications.

My TWP is for 3 years so there is no immediate rush but I would like the flexibility to consider changing employers at some point, which I currently cannot on the WP I have.

So what is the best route to exchange a TWP for PR? Is there a benefit to waiting to apply until we have been in Canada for a full year, or two years?

Former Lancastrian Mar 3rd 2018 10:39 pm

Re: When to transition from TWP to PR

Originally Posted by fourspoon (Post 12455449)
Would appreciate the advice of the forum once again.

I am currently enjoying life in Canada and have been here on a TWP for 7 months now. The wife and I have decided we want to settle permanently so obviously the next step is to consider PR applications.

My TWP is for 3 years so there is no immediate rush but I would like the flexibility to consider changing employers at some point, which I currently cannot on the WP I have.

So what is the best route to exchange a TWP for PR? Is there a benefit to waiting to apply until we have been in Canada for a full year, or two years?

IMHO after 12 months of working in Canada the Canadian Experience Class route for PR is open to you as well. In this day and age I would apply as soon as eligible if serious about staying and even if you change your mind you could still work until the end of the 3 year TWP and you can return back to the UK.
Nothing lost nothing gained.

fourspoon Mar 4th 2018 8:34 pm

Thank you, so the CEC class route for PR is likely to be a better chance of acceptance than if I just apply via EE right now? Or can I do both and update to a CEC application after 12 months if I haven't been accepted by then?

christmasoompa Mar 4th 2018 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by fourspoon (Post 12456101)
Thank you, so the CEC class route for PR is likely to be a better chance of acceptance than if I just apply via EE right now? Or can I do both and update to a CEC application after 12 months if I haven't been accepted by then?

It’s not a case of a better chance of acceptance because you’d then be eligible to apply under CEC, it’s that you’d have more points. But as FL has said, if you’re eligible and scoring enough now, I’d apply sooner rather than later personally.

What is your CRS score?

fourspoon Mar 5th 2018 5:43 pm

Current CRS is 448 (Assuming good language test scores which we haven't taken yet).

Adding a year's employment makes the score 496.

Novocastrian Mar 5th 2018 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by fourspoon (Post 12456665)
Current CRS is 448 (Assuming good language test scores which we haven't taken yet).

Adding a year's employment makes the score 496.

FWIW I'd take the language tests now. If you come out with 448 you've got a very good chance but with 496, it's a certainty and the language results will still be valid after 5 more months.

On edit: a near certainty. Also, I'm assuming you don't lose age points in the meantime.

fourspoon Mar 5th 2018 6:27 pm

Thanks, yes agreed, I'm going to book CELPIP for myself and spouse in the next few weeks.

Sorry to add a slightly unrelated question, but I'm trying to work out what i should put for the 'skilled work experience in Canada' question.

I have been working for a Canadian company for nearly 4 years, although I was based in the UK until August 2017, when I moved to Canada via an ICT TWP. The company does not have a UK branch or office, I was contracted directly by the Canadian office and managed their affairs in Europe.

I assumed that only my experience since physically moving to Canada would count in this question, but a thread here http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...estion-888921/ seems to suggest that just being on the payroll of a Canadian company counts as experience for the purposes of this question....

Thanks again

christmasoompa Mar 5th 2018 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by fourspoon (Post 12456699)
Thanks, yes agreed, I'm going to book CELPIP for myself and spouse in the next few weeks.

Sorry to add a slightly unrelated question, but I'm trying to work out what i should put for the 'skilled work experience in Canada' question.

I have been working for a Canadian company for nearly 4 years, although I was based in the UK until August 2017, when I moved to Canada via an ICT TWP. The company does not have a UK branch or office, I was contracted directly by the Canadian office and managed their affairs in Europe.

I assumed that only my experience since physically moving to Canada would count in this question, but a thread here http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...estion-888921/ seems to suggest that just being on the payroll of a Canadian company counts as experience for the purposes of this question....

Thanks again

Only work actually done in Canada counts, so from August in your case.

HTH.

fourspoon Mar 5th 2018 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12456724)
Only work actually done in Canada counts, so from August in your case.

HTH.

Yes, thanks for clearing that up, maybe getting myself a little optimistic :lol:

fourspoon Oct 17th 2018 1:47 am

Just thought I'd update this old thread with our experience and results now its all done.

I started gathering the required documents and doing all the tests (language, medicals, education assessments, police reports etc etc) straight away after this thread in March but in the end everything took so long to get done, I'd been in Canada for almost a year when I was ready to submit the PR application.

So using the CEC class we scored 472 points and received an ITA after just a week or so after submitting. Since I had all the required documents and information prepared I submitted almost straight away and surprisingly our CoPR came back in just 21 days. From what I had read I was expecting more like 3-6 months! We drove out to the border at Sarnia on a Sunday afternoon and crossed over to the US, did some shopping and came back, activating our PR when we crossed back into Canada. We are still waiting for our actual PR cards but apparently its normal for that to take a long time.

I am so grateful to the help and advice I found on this forum, both questions I asked and reading the experiences of others. I'll stick around and help others where I can.

rivingtonpike Oct 17th 2018 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by fourspoon (Post 12578643)
Just thought I'd update this old thread with our experience and results now its all done.

I started gathering the required documents and doing all the tests (language, medicals, education assessments, police reports etc etc) straight away after this thread in March but in the end everything took so long to get done, I'd been in Canada for almost a year when I was ready to submit the PR application.

So using the CEC class we scored 472 points and received an ITA after just a week or so after submitting. Since I had all the required documents and information prepared I submitted almost straight away and surprisingly our CoPR came back in just 21 days. From what I had read I was expecting more like 3-6 months! We drove out to the border at Sarnia on a Sunday afternoon and crossed over to the US, did some shopping and came back, activating our PR when we crossed back into Canada. We are still waiting for our actual PR cards but apparently its normal for that to take a long time.

I am so grateful to the help and advice I found on this forum, both questions I asked and reading the experiences of others. I'll stick around and help others where I can.

Congratulations! Next step will be applying for and getting your Canadian Passport; now that really is a curious experience! Even after all the years, whenever I travel and pull out my Canadian Passport (which is frequently) I look at it with wonder and awe!

Siouxie Oct 17th 2018 8:36 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by fourspoon (Post 12578643)

:goodpost:
WOAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Huge congrats and welcome to Canada eh!!

Do stay around! We've some off topic chitchat in the Maple Leaf forum.. or general info and questions about Canada in the main Canada forum... and there's 'non-Canada' stuff elsewhere on BE :D

fourspoon Oct 18th 2018 12:57 am

Thanks!!!